Question on CrackDAT PAT... and PAT in general.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanpierg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just decided to fork over $100 to get the Ace edition of the CrackDAT PAT, and tried out a couple of tests. Though I didn't do so well on the first, After reviewing it, I've got 21 and 20 the last two times. This is timed without any previous studying whatsoever.

Is the real PAT similar to CrackDAT PAT? I mean this in both the way it's structured and the difficulty level. On some of the questions, I can automatically rule out many of the answers ( ie angle ranking) based on which is presented first

ex.
a 1 2 4 3
b 1 3 2 4
c 2 3 1 4
d 2 4 1 3

If i can clearly see that 1 is the smallest angle, I can automatically rule out C and D and then look at the difference between angle 3 and 4.

I'm also wondering if there are any tips to make some of the sections easier, mostly the top front end thing and the folding and cubes. I'm positive there are tips for cubes out there...just havn't started looking yet. The top end thing is my hardest section, and folding is so/so. Any tips on these sections would be greatly apprectiated :)!

EDIT:: forgot to add...need help on obtuse angle rankings too. 134, 137, 140, 143 degrees is hard to compare (nearly impossible?!) when theyre all orientated differently and flipped around. Only help is when the answer choices makes it possible to eliminate a couple answers...otherwise it makes it pretty much a coin flip for me...

haha one last question. I just came across a problem which the program called "an illusion"... which is bascially a cube problem that had a improbable cube. A 3D shape that can't exist because it twists upon itself. Are these type of images on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

i second the motion for anyone to give tips on the folding section. It's my worst section on the PAT's. The rest I just need practice but I always end up doing horrible on the folding section. Of course it doesn't help that it's the last section either...

the way i do top/front/side is by counting the lines on the sides that will carry over onto the side you're trying to determine ... hard to explain what i mean but basically if you're trying to figure out the top, you can count the vertical lines on the front view and there will have to be that many lines on the top as well. it can usually help you narrow down choices at the very least.

the way i do pattern folding is by looking at each answer choice individually and seeing what is or isn't improbable about it. not exactly a time-saver but it's usually pretty accurate. also, if they are weirder shapes and not just cubes it helps to look for the biggest shape and use that as an "anchor." they sometimes just distort that shape to throw you off.

any ANGLE RANKING help would be really, really appreciated. i'm so hopeless at it and i don't even know why!

for angle ranking i pretend they are slices of pizza. haha it seems weird but sometimes when they are close to the same size its easier to tell the difference when you picture them in different scenarios.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go hungry to the DAT and think of them as slices of pizza, then all the better, right?:D

It's interesting how everyone has their PAT strengths and weaknesses. I tend to do very well with angle ranking and hole punching but struggle with the top end/front end stuff and folding. My tips for angle ranking are to first pick what look to be the smallest and largest. That usually rules out an answer or two. Then just use your best judgment. Some are really close but by first picking the largest and smallest you can improve your guessing chances.

Any tips for top end/front end and folding into 3d objects?

Top/front/end killllll me. I'm really slow at hole-punching, and I usually put my fingers on the screen while I'm doing it.. haha.. Should look interesting when I go to take the DAT. I'm okay at angle ranking... I usually get somewhere around 7/15 on Crack's version. I feel like I can do better than that though??

urgh PAT.

I hate this part...i'm so bad at top front and folding...can't seem to think..i ran out of time every time i took it..:(((..help meeeeeeee

It's interesting how everyone has their PAT strengths and weaknesses. I tend to do very well with angle ranking and hole punching but struggle with the top end/front end stuff and folding. My tips for angle ranking are to first pick what look to be the smallest and largest. That usually rules out an answer or two. Then just use your best judgment. Some are really close but by first picking the largest and smallest you can improve your guessing chances.

Any tips for top end/front end and folding into 3d objects?

Do you have any advice for doing well in hole punching?

I plan to purchase it too. I am deciding which edition I should purchase (King, ACE, Royal). What about Royal Edition? Is it worth? I have never practiced it before.

I did Ace which is perfect in my opinion. I think Royal is a little overkill. If you want more practice I would get Achiever.

The PAT is actually kinda fun I think!!! if I had more time, I could probably do much much better than I do now though!

anyways, for the angle ranking, I put my thumbs up to the screen and try to make 90 degree angles if I'm confused between two and try to figure it out that way. Or else, if that doesn't work, I use my thumbs to cut off the two angles so they are the same size (both lines are same size) and its easier to see which angle is smaller that way. I hope that made sense and I hope that helps!!

also, for the cube counting section, you should make a list like:
and for the first figure, just go through each cube and mark down if that cube has one open side, etc. It takes much less time!

then, for the pattern folding, when they have a very wierd shape for the cardboard cutout thing, its easier to match up the answers with the big shape that the final 3D figure will look like (I bet that made no sense whatsoever!!). Basically, if its not a square box or something like that, look at the given cutout and find the unique structure and match that to an answer. If it is a square with only shadings somewhere, then, just like for everything else, you just have to visualize it and look at the shadings around it and where they would end up when folded (but I guess anyone could have told you that right? :idea:)

Sorry, this was a long post!! but I hope it helped!!!

The PAT is actually kinda fun I think!!! if I had more time, I could probably do much much better than I do now though!

anyways, for the angle ranking, I put my thumbs up to the screen and try to make 90 degree angles if I'm confused between two and try to figure it out that way. Or else, if that doesn't work, I use my thumbs to cut off the two angles so they are the same size (both lines are same size) and its easier to see which angle is smaller that way. I hope that made sense and I hope that helps!!

also, for the cube counting section, you should make a list like:
and for the first figure, just go through each cube and mark down if that cube has one open side, etc. It takes much less time!

then, for the pattern folding, when they have a very wierd shape for the cardboard cutout thing, its easier to match up the answers with the big shape that the final 3D figure will look like (I bet that made no sense whatsoever!!). Basically, if its not a square box or something like that, look at the given cutout and find the unique structure and match that to an answer. If it is a square with only shadings somewhere, then, just like for everything else, you just have to visualize it and look at the shadings around it and where they would end up when folded (but I guess anyone could have told you that right? :idea:)

Sorry, this was a long post!! but I hope it helped!!!

I guess that's where the real "Perceptual Ability" comes into play then huh?