Question on DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DrLady

Which DO schools put high preference over their in-state applicants? I know that the MSU-COM is one of them.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

tcom

i believe texas legislation says a minimum 90% have to be instate.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be an over-generalization, but basically if it's a state sponsored school then the matriculating students will be mostly in staters. Holds true for MD schools too.

Originally posted by DrMom
OSU-COM has about 10 slots (out of 88) for out-of-staters.
:( Any special consideration given to your kansas neighbors?

It seems that most of the out-of-staters are from adjoining states.

Certainly worth applying. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the school. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Most DO schools give preference to in-state students.

COMP has many Cali residents.... :)

Originally posted by birdie
Most DO schools give preference to in-state students.

I'd take this with a grain of salt. I think that most state-supported schools will give in-state preference, but the private schools do not.

- Tae

As far as TCOM is concerned, Bryant is right about the 90% law. That goes for all the schools in Texas (MD and DO) with the exception of Baylor, which is something like 70%. Just to clarify this though, TCOM says that it MAY take up to ten percent from out of state, but the actual number is much closer to one or two percent. Texas in general is a very ethnocentric state. As far as medical school admissions is concerned, I think Texas gives the most priority to their own residents. This is of the osteopathic schools of course. I know there are plenty of allopathic schools in other states that don't even accept applications from out of state applicants.

DMU has more people from california then any other state

VCOM fills up most of their slots with "Regional" applicants and only after they have made this quota do they begin interviewing out-of-region applicants. You might want to check out their website for specifics.

care

GO to a bookstore, and look at a barrons guide to med and dental schools. It will tell you these stats on osteopathic schools. I'm selling mine for $12 if anyone wants it as a reference.

Originally posted by Careofme
VCOM fills up most of their slots with "Regional" applicants and only after they have made this quota do they begin interviewing out-of-region applicants. You might want to check out their website for specifics.

care

That's funny, I'm from California and I was in the first group of people to be interviewed at VCOM. (I declined the interview request).