question on meiosis and independent assortment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoog74

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, im a bit confused as to the independent assortment. Does it happen on NON homologous chromosomes or homologous? Also, is it on different chromoses or what?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, im a bit confused as to the independent assortment. Does it happen on NON homologous chromosomes or homologous? Also, is it on different chromoses or what?

Homologous chromosomes ~ pairs of chromosomes.
- these are divided to form haploid cells
- cross over occurs between homologous chromosomes

The arrangement of chromosomes within the haploid cells = independent assortment
> the random assortment of chromosomes that make up the individual haploid cell

Source: http://www.nature.com/scitable/definition/principle-of-independent-assortment-law-of-independent-302

Homologous chromosomes ~ pairs of chromosomes.
- these are divided to form haploid cells
- cross over occurs between homologous chromosomes

The arrangement of chromosomes within the haploid cells = independent assortment
> the random assortment of chromosomes that make up the individual haploid cell

Source: http://www.nature.com/scitable/definition/principle-of-independent-assortment-law-of-independent-302

i dont think this answers my question but thanks for the effort !

I believe independent assortment occurs at anaphase II of meiosis. At this point, genetically variable (via crossing over at prophase I) homologous chromosomes have already been separated (during anaphase I). The law of independent assortment states that during anaphase II, the separation of these non homologous chromosomes into sister chromatids may be assorted into daughter cells randomly, without influence of any of the other chromosomes.

...I could be wrong. Can anyone else confirm this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe independent assortment occurs at anaphase II of meiosis. At this point, genetically variable (via crossing over at prophase I) homologous chromosomes have already been separated (during anaphase I). The law of independent assortment states that during anaphase II, the separation of these non homologous chromosomes into sister chromatids may be assorted into daughter cells randomly, without influence of any of the other chromosomes.

...I could be wrong. Can anyone else confirm this?

this is wrong. Independent assortment occurs during Metaphase I.

this is wrong. Independent assortment occurs during Metaphase I.

Spoog is right. Independent assortment occurs during Metaphase I and refers to an random orientation of homologous pairs at the metaphase plate.

I'm not sure that I understand the second question. Independent assortment refers to collective allignment of all homologous chromosomes at the metaphase plate so that each daughther cell essentially receives different set of chromosomes. Because we can have many different allignments is the reason why all daughter cells are genetically unique. Hopefully, that answered your question. This is not to be confused with the law of segregation.

Lol now I feel like a fool, I should have done some quick reviewing prior to clicking the reply button. Anyway, you are both right, independent assortment does occur at metaphase I. Haha