Question on reconstituting Antibiotics.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy7424

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, reconstituting an Abx suspension gives me such a hard time. The powder just will not go into solution!

Also, when I shake the bottle, some of the solution always spills out from the top and makes a mess.

Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Swoosh side to side more than jackhammer up an down and when I was in LTC some that didn't dissolve well we let sit for a little while, mix those first then the easy ones and pull the solution out last for those hard ones. Give them a little shake periodically as your working on the easier ones.

Do not push down on the cap; whenever I do that more seems to dribble down the side. Also shake the bottle before opening the cap/adding water to loosen the powder.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Turn bottle upside down to loosen powder.
  • Open Bottle
  • add 1/2 of the amt of water.
  • Close bottle
  • Turn bottle upside down and allow powder to fall into liquid
  • Shake Well
  • Open Bottle
  • Add rest of water.
  • Close Bottle
  • Shake well.
  • Give to patient

Reactions: 6 users
  • Turn bottle upside down to loosen powder.
  • Open Bottle
  • add 1/2 of the amt of water.
  • Close bottle
  • Turn bottle upside down and allow powder to fall into liquid
  • Shake Well
  • Open Bottle
  • Add rest of water.
  • Close Bottle
  • Shake well.
  • Give to patient

But if I open the bottle while it's upside down, the powder will fall out. What kind of ancient pharmacist secret are you hiding from us!

I always find if there's one persistent clump, smacking the bottle on the counter a few times usually gets it.

Reactions: 2 users
But if I open the bottle while it's upside down, the powder will fall out. What kind of ancient pharmacist secret are you hiding from us!

I always find if there's one persistent clump, smacking the bottle on the counter a few times usually gets it.

Did you read the directions. You do not turn it upside down with the cap open. You merely loosen the powder. Also if you do not allow the powder to fall into the bottle, you use the force of the water to pound the powder into the bottom of the bottle thereby requiring you to smack it against the counter.

you can also use a tongue depressor (sterile, individuall wrapped) to mix it

lol bc i was taking too long to mix a bottle cuz it wasnt mixing and the pharmacist (30+ yrs experience) came out and did that :p

dont see what the big deal is...

Sometimes, reconstituting an Abx suspension gives me such a hard time. The powder just will not go into solution!

Also, when I shake the bottle, some of the solution always spills out from the top and makes a mess.

Any tips?

When I shake the bottle I usually open the cap after adding the water and then I tap the cap on top of the bottle while it's unscrewed. It makes the excess Abx suspension fall into the bottle and there's no mess when I go to shake it a second time after adding the rest of the water. Works for me! :shrug:

I usually add half of the water, then close and invert the bottle and tap it on my palm so that the packed powder (that I didn't shake) falls into the water. Then some hearty shaking before adding the rest of the water, and Bob's your uncle.

In terms of leakage/dripping, some manufacturers' bottles don't seal well once the foil/paper has been removed. Try keeping the foil/paper on the rim of the bottle's mouth, rather than removing it entirely.

Did you read the directions. You do not turn it upside down with the cap open. You merely loosen the powder. Also if you do not allow the powder to fall into the bottle, you use the force of the water to pound the powder into the bottom of the bottle thereby requiring you to smack it against the counter.

Your sarcasm meter might be broken.

#1 - Shake bottle before opening to loosen up powder. Bang against the counter if you want.
#2 - Measure out water and add half into the bottle.
#3 - Close cap and shake the bottle around, bang it against the counter if you want.
#4 - Add rest of water.
#5 - Close cap and shake the bottle around, and bang it against the counter if you want.

lol bc i was taking too long to mix a bottle cuz it wasnt mixing and the pharmacist (30+ yrs experience) came out and did that :p

dont see what the big deal is...

Because if you follow my directions it will never take too long. Think about it. Powder stuck to bottom of bottle, add water on top and shake. Your shaking will use the water like a hammer and hammer the powder tighter to the bottle and then it takes too long and you use a device to unstick the powder you could have unstuck in the beginning if you followed my directions.....

The best way is to tap bottle first to loosen powder. Open lid and add half the required water, some stores have machines that do this for you. Close lid and make sure it is completely closed. Turn it upside down and roll the bottle in between your palms back and forth in a fast motion for about 5 seconds. Watch as the powder completely and easily mixes with the water due to centrifugal force. No spillage, no leakage, no banging the bottle till you are blue in the face. Then reopen bottle and add remaining amount of water, close, and turn upside down and repeat rolling motion until all water is mixed into solution evenly. Try it and you will never go back to the old way of mixing suspensions.

I usually add half of the water, then close and invert the bottle and tap it on my palm so that the packed powder (that I didn't shake) falls into the water. Then some hearty shaking before adding the rest of the water, and Bob's your uncle.

In terms of leakage/dripping, some manufacturers' bottles don't seal well once the foil/paper has been removed. Try keeping the foil/paper on the rim of the bottle's mouth, rather than removing it entirely.

...your bottles don't seal properly after removing the foil, because you get too much dust or granules or suspension in the cap. Even in suspension form, they prevent a tight seal of the lid.

The best way is to tap bottle first to loosen powder. Open lid and add half the required water, some stores have machines that do this for you. Close lid and make sure it is completely closed. Turn it upside down and roll the bottle in between your palms back and forth in a fast motion for about 5 seconds. Watch as the powder completely and easily mixes with the water due to centrifugal force. No spillage, no leakage, no banging the bottle till you are blue in the face. Then reopen bottle and add remaining amount of water, close, and turn upside down and repeat rolling motion until all water is mixed into solution evenly. Try it and you will never go back to the old way of mixing suspensions.
Can you please make a video of this?? That would be so helpful!! I have been struggling with this, espescially on the Amox 250/5 it seems.

...your bottles don't seal properly after removing the foil, because you get too much dust or granules or suspension in the cap. Even in suspension form, they prevent a tight seal of the lid.
So, your theory is that the liquid should never touch the cap, and they are designed accordingly such that they will leak once that has occurred?

Not serious enough to waste my time on, anymore %)

Errrr, I've never had this problem.

OP: Just shake the bottles like a madman and the powder will dissolve.