Question regarding a mentally ill pre-med student...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cinematic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

**Ooops, posted this in the wrong forum.. But if you'd like to answer, please feel free...

If you have been treated in a psychiatric hospital for suicide attempts/depression/etc, can medical schools find out when you apply?

I know there are HIPAA laws but would that student be protected?

The student has since then been in treatment, on the right meds, and very healthy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Psychiatric records and other medical records cannot be released without the patient's written consent. I was never asked about my past medical history. I was never asked to release old records. If you refer to medical issues in your personal statement or essays, it is your choice as to how explicit you wish to be. If you mention it, it does open the door to questions by an interviewer, but you can be vague in your answer. Adcomms would mainly want to know if the situation is resolved or under control, or if there is any chance it could interfer with your ability to function well as a med student.

The only way the medical history might become specifically raised is if an interviewer is from the same institution where the hospitalization occurred and recognized the applicant as their patient. Even so, they cannot discuss it with other adcomms, due to privacy laws.

Yes, you are absolutely protected under HIPAA. There is no reason for you to discuss your medical history unless you want to. As long as you are confident that you are recovered and ready for med school, no adcom could find out about it without breaking the law.

I agree with the above posters. It's not an issue, if you don't make it an issue.