question regarding amcas background checks and restraining orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eighteighteight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i recently found out a temporary restraining order was filed against me. i got served and read the report, and the person filing it blatantly lied (which i figured the person must have done, to get a judge to serve it in the first place). i have a court date at which time i will find out if it is made permanent or not. my question is, depending on if it gets made permanent or dropped, will any of this show up in a background check in either case and will i have to disclose it on my amcas application? will it come up further down the line with licensing?

im innocent and im confident that the judge will realize that when i tell my side of the story, however, the person who filed it had several friends with them whereas I was alone and i have no doubt they would lie to support the fabricated story (if they havent already). should i be worried?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be worried and maybe talk to someone who knows the law. My uneducated guess is that if it is dropped and doesn't become permanent, you will be ok. I thought you only had to disclose felonies on your AMCAS, so you should be covered on that.

i'll definitely be getting one. i just want to make sure, depending on outcome, what issues will arrive. that said i am counting on being found innocent, as i am.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that there really is a question guilt / not guilt with a restraining order (Law2Doc might know). I suspect that if the motion fails it's not going to adversely affect your background check.

As far as this temporary order goes, it's what they call ex parte (meaning that you weren't there when the court proceedings were conducted that initiated it). It's clearly a temporary measure, and in and of itself I don't think it hurts you, as no finding to the validity of the restraining order has yet been made (it's just a precautionary measure until the real hearing).