Question Regarding Background Check and OptomCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SUNYorBust

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the schools do a Background check on all applicants or only those they interview? Or even at all?

The reason I ask is I have a Misdemeanor charge on my record. When I was younger I stole and have a charge for Petty Theft on my record. It was a very stupid thing I had done however I am afraid that it may jeopardize my chances of getting into Optometry School.

They ask on OptomCAS is you have ever been found guilty of a crime and I am not sure wether to answer truthfully or not as I am afraid that I will not even bee considered if answered truthfully. However I know how lying on the application would look and am leaning towards disclosing the information up front and seeing what happens.

Any advice or insight in to how this affects their decision, even if it is just to get an interview from the college?

**Side note, Please no judgement, it was a stupid thing I did 7 years ago, I paid a price for it and it was the most humbling and humiliating experience of my life. I am just deathly afraid that it will ruin my chances of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

i would call the school, explain the situation, and seek their advice. You do not need to disclose your information when speaking with them on the phone, so dont fret.

i believe that there may be an area where you can explain the situation and what you have done since then.

by younger, do you mean like two weeks ago or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, no by younger I mean when I was 19, I will be almost 28 when I apply.

nova asks for a bg check for matriculation