Question regarding health screening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chocolatedoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am an IMG from Europe. This question might be silly but I look forward to your responses. During medical school, I was diagnosed with ADD and started on behaviour therapy and pharmacotherapy (not in the United States). This was approximately 3 years ago. I was on treatment for about 1 year before I was weaned off it due to improved symptoms (I was possibly too quick to start medications when i didn't really need them). I have not had any symptoms since then and do not anticipate needing any form of therapy in the future. My question is this :

1) Do i have to declare it as a previous diagnosis on my health screening questionnaire for my new residency?
2) Can it in any way impact my enrollment into the program? Would I need to fully explain the circumstances etc?

Thanks for your help, this is stressing me out.

Members don't see this ad.

The advice for your situation is the same for all others: err on the side of full disclosure when requested.

That is, if they specifically ask about any diagnoses, including psychiatric, within the timeframe of your treatment, you must disclose it. Failure to do so can invalidate your application. If they want more information they will ask for it.

I will be doing that, better safe than sorry! Do you know if it could impact my enrollment.. based on others' experiences? Thanks!

I will be doing that, better safe than sorry! Do you know if it could impact my enrollment.. based on others' experiences? Thanks!

I think the notion that you HAVE to disclose any medical information is absurd. You don't.

And even if you did, it's none of your program's business.

Licensing is done at the state level, so it will vary. For my state, they ask:

"Have you had or do you now have any disease or condition that interferes with your ability to perform the essential functions of your
profession, including any disease or condition generally regarded as chronic by the medical community, i.e., (1) mental or emotional disease or condition; (2) alcohol or other substance abuse; (3) physical disease or condition, that presently interferes with your ability to practice your profession? If yes, attach a detailed statement, including an explanation whether or not you are currently under treatment"

Did/does ADD interfere with your abilities to be a doc? Again, this is one state, others will do it differently.

As for a work physical, I haven't had one yet, and it's going to be program dependent, but my guess is that programs just want someone to state that you can be a resident, and not want a detailed list of your personal business.

I think the notion that you HAVE to disclose any medical information is absurd. You don't.

And even if you did, it's none of your program's business.

Of course you don't have to disclose it. But if he lies on his application, it can result in the loss of a position or license. He simply has to be honest if asked. As noted above, application questions will vary from state to state and program to program.

To the OP: no I don't think this will be a significant problem or prevent you from matching if it is truly as you've described.

My state license application simply asks if i have been diagnosed with a condition that in any way impairs or limits my ability to practice medicine with reasonable skill or ability.. the answer is simply no. My health questionnaire issued by my program, on the other hand, simply asks me if i was ever diagnosed (without a need to explain) with any psychiatric illness.. and the answer is yes.

Thank you for your replies.

Just wanted to add that mental illnesses are protected by the Americans with Disability Act so it would be illegal for them to fire you/not honor the match for that as long as you are able to perform necessary duties.

Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear. I am absolutely capable to perform necessary duties.

Just wanted to add that mental illnesses are protected by the Americans with Disability Act so it would be illegal for them to fire you/not honor the match for that as long as you are able to perform necessary duties.
Yes that is true. However only the naive would think that programs wouldn't try and make it appear as if something else was the reason for firing. SDN and the internet are full of such stories.

As noted above OP, answer the questions honestly. There is no reason to think that it will affect your ability to match or be awarded a license if you can safely perform your duties as you say. You are making a big deal out of this.