Question regarding how to get my application process ready (Advice required)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nexuss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a student from Canada that just finished my 4th year of university at Guelph University and I wanted to apply to the states this coming July 2016 so I need some advice on how to make my application the best it can be. I plan on taking a 5th year to finish required pre-requisites while I am waiting in the 2017 cycle.

So my situation at the moment is after 4 years of university my GPA is 2.97 and I wrote the OAT last year with a score of 330 (but under 300 in Biology so I want to re-take this summer as well).

My issue at the moment is that from the courses I took I got a D in Physics and C- in year 1 chemistry. Therefore I assume it is mandatory for me to re-take these courses. In addition, it's evident that my GPA is right under the 3.0 mark. My concern is that do I need to show that these 2 courses are above the pre-requisite grades optometry schools need BEFORE or AFTER I apply in July? If possible, I would like to take these courses in my 5th year to give me more space to study for my OAT but if that's not the case I will have to do both simultaneously.

My next issue is that what is the minimum GPA / science GPA to even apply to optometry school? If it is 3.0 or ABOVE, then I will be forced to raise my GPA to 3.0 with 2 summer school courses BEFORE I apply in July. However, if I can apply with a 2.97 then I can take these courses later and focus on my OAT.

Summary - 2 pre-reqs under C grade = Can I take these AFTER I apply in July or must I take them before applying?
- GPA 2.97 = Must I raise this to 3.0 before applying or is 2.97 eligible for me to apply?

Thank you very much for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely apply as is, but it might be more difficult to get interviews with your GPA. That being said, you aren't far from 3.0 and it's very possible to be accepted still.
I'm guessing schools will possibly give you conditional offers, ie: you can be accepted on the condition that you redo those prerequisites before class starts. I know it's possible to be accepted without having completed all prerequisites this way, so I imagine it would be similar.

agreed with whymisha, schools often accept students who haven't finished all of their prereq courses, so it stands to reason you could be accepted on the condition you do pass those prereqs. And there's no minimum GPA requirement to apply