Question Regarding Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostgraduateboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to apply to programs in Counseling Psychology for my Masters. I have been out of school for almost a year now (graduated in May 2011). My biggest concern is in the area of recommendations.

I have asked three professors to write me letters previously when I decided to apply for a few doctoral programs in Clinical Psychology. I did not get accepted into any of the programs.

I have since refined my focus, and I am now interested in getting a Masters in Counseling Psychology before I proceed to a doctorate. I feel that this path will give me more research experience and strengthen my mediocre profile.

I graduated with a 3.4 GPA overall, 3.5 in Psychology, 1200 GRE, a year of research and laboratory experience and three LoRs from different professors. I am now reapplying, but I am not sure how to approach these professors to ask for more LoRs for these Masters programs. I feel that I am being a burden because I haven't been in contact with them since I've applied a year ago.

I need some guidance on the best path to take right now. I am highly motivated and did not let the first failure deter me from reapplying. My ultimate goal is to become a Psychologist and failures will not stop me from reaching that goal. However, I have to overcome an obstacle right now and that is to furnish LoRs to apply for this year's round of Masters programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I say just briefly explain the situation to them just as you've done here (i.e., "I didn't get in last year, so I've decided to first pursue a master's to strengthen my application before re-applying to doctoral programs"), and ask if they'd be comfortable furnishing another series of rec letters. The worst thing that can happen is they tell you no. Most rec letter writers are used to this type of situation and won't see much of anything wrong with it; if they do, they'll let you know.

Honestly, I say just briefly explain the situation to them just as you've done here (i.e., "I didn't get in last year, so I've decided to first pursue a master's to strengthen my application before re-applying to doctoral programs"), and ask if they'd be comfortable furnishing another series of rec letters. The worst thing that can happen is they tell you no. Most rec letter writers are used to this type of situation and won't see much of anything wrong with it; if they do, they'll let you know.
I second this. I had to request multiple letters from my LORs because my situation changed multiple times over the past several years... 1st round not getting into Phd and going to MSW. Then decided MSW NOT the route to go, letters to MA Psych. Then had to re-locate with wife, letters to new MA Clinical Psych.

I have never had any of my LORs seem burdened (although this was a tremendous amount to ask- I know). I would recommend just try to keep in touch with them since they have written letters for you, they probably are genuinely interested in where you are now/ending up.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had to ask one professor for 3 year's worth of letters... he was nice about it.

make sure that they can write strong letters... if they need to spruce it up, maybe let them know what you have been doing over the past year in order to get more information down in the letter if needed. i actually gave updated transcripts and cv's to my references because I ended up doing a 5th year and volunteered/worked extensively on research experience.

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. I highly appreciate your input. :)