Question regarding military residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quantum Mecha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Much discussion has occurred about the HPSP and FAP programs, but I am confused on one thing.

From my understanding, the FAP program allows you to complete a civilian residency of your choice before your active duty committment begins.

HPSP, from my understanding, will require one to apply to military residencies. If unmatched, one will have to complete a year or two as a GMO and try again. Getting into a civilian residency is rare.

A friend in medical school was telling me that in terms of the timeline, the military match occurs first, followed by the osteopathic match, which is followed by the allopathic match.

My question is: can a civilian medical student (no HPSP or HCSP) apply to a military residency via the military match? How does the active duty payback, etc work in this situation? Is it similar to the FAP program? Also, is the HCSP program similar to the HPSP program (in terms of the commonly discussed issues regarding trouble matching, freedom of choosing career path/potential of having to do a GMO tour before matching)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Perhaps I can rephrase the question as: Can civilians do a military residency, and if so, how does the process work with regards to active duty commitment?

Perhaps I can rephrase the question as: Can civilians do a military residency

Short answer, no.

Long answer, I believe it can happen, but the civilian applicant must join - they come on active duty and incur a 1:1 service obligation for each year of residency. Ie, they get none of the HPSP benefits, but end up paying back essentially the same # of years of obligated service.

Someone will probably be along to correct me shortly. :)

It's not unheard of for a military residency to take a civilian, but it's mostly been for a spouse who wants to be co-located or when the progam doesn't fill with military applicants. The slots are technically through the VA, and I'm not sure how that application process works.

Otherwise, you're looking at putting on a uniform. Your obligation would = years in residency minus internship. You'll get no extra money from this approach, save for the relatively high salary a military resident receives compared to a civilian one. The only person I've ever known to take this route had a very strong desire to stay in one, specific location - a location that had no civilian program for the desired specialty.