Question regarding TBR Orgo Book II and TBR Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breeniee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all.... I'm finally up to the Organic Chemistry Book II in The Berkeley Review but Chapter 5-7 seem really long and detailed. I'm wondering if it's better use of my time using different prep material - like TPRH for example - instead of laboring through those specific BR chapters.

TBR Ch. 5 deals with Carbonyl Alcohols and is almost 50 pages
TBR Ch. 6 deals with Carbohydrates and is over 30 pages
TBR Ch. 7 deals with Nitrogen Compounds and is around 45 pages

I know that TBR are great resources and I can't go wrong if I put in the hours to study them but it will easily cut away a week of my study time because I know realistically it will take me 2 days to study each chapter. I also have 3 chapters of Chemistry left to study and 1 chapter of Physics before I'm done with content review. My exam is in June 21 so right now, I want to use every hour I have the most efficiently.

So do you guys think studying those topics in TPRH will suffice or is the level of detail in TBR necessary?

Question number 2: I'm been trying to follow SN2ed study plan but I have to modify it considerably because I haven't been able to keep up with it and I didn't rotate subjects. I was planning originally to read EK Bio and do BR practice passages using his method of 1/3 of the questions right after reading, another 1/3 a week later, and the last 1/3 during the last month. So far, I haven't kept up with biology content at all.

Do you guys think doing ALL of the BR Bio practice passages are necessary? At this point all I can do is 1/3 of all the BR Bio practice passages sprinkled in between doing full lengths in the last 3 weeks before my exam. Is that a really bad idea? For the record - I took the MCAT 3 years before and got a 10 in the BS section without studying for Orgo so I think I have a good grasp of Biology which is why I haven't studied for it yet. Biology was also my major in undergrad and I've also read a lot of research papers for my masters so I'm not worried about the biology portion of the BS section. Is this confidence in Biology without really reviewing any content recently bad and is that minor amount of Bio practice okay? I'm really at a loss and I'm wondering if I should postpone but I've done it so many times already... =(

Any help would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey y'all.... I'm finally up to the Organic Chemistry Book II in The Berkeley Review but Chapter 5-7 seem really long and detailed. I'm wondering if it's better use of my time using different prep material - like TPRH for example - instead of laboring through those specific BR chapters.

TBR Ch. 5 deals with Carbonyl Alcohols and is almost 50 pages
TBR Ch. 6 deals with Carbohydrates and is over 30 pages
TBR Ch. 7 deals with Nitrogen Compounds and is around 45 pages

I know that TBR are great resources and I can't go wrong if I put in the hours to study them but it will easily cut away a week of my study time because I know realistically it will take me 2 days to study each chapter. I also have 3 chapters of Chemistry left to study and 1 chapter of Physics before I'm done with content review. My exam is in June 21 so right now, I want to use every hour I have the most efficiently.

So do you guys think studying those topics in TPRH will suffice or is the level of detail in TBR necessary?

Question number 2: I'm been trying to follow SN2ed study plan but I have to modify it considerably because I haven't been able to keep up with it and I didn't rotate subjects. I was planning originally to read EK Bio and do BR practice passages using his method of 1/3 of the questions right after reading, another 1/3 a week later, and the last 1/3 during the last month. So far, I haven't kept up with biology content at all.

Do you guys think doing ALL of the BR Bio practice passages are necessary? At this point all I can do is 1/3 of all the BR Bio practice passages sprinkled in between doing full lengths in the last 3 weeks before my exam. Is that a really bad idea? For the record - I took the MCAT 3 years before and got a 10 in the BS section without studying for Orgo so I think I have a good grasp of Biology which is why I haven't studied for it yet. Biology was also my major in undergrad and I've also read a lot of research papers for my masters so I'm not worried about the biology portion of the BS section. Is this confidence in Biology without really reviewing any content recently bad and is that minor amount of Bio practice okay? I'm really at a loss and I'm wondering if I should postpone but I've done it so many times already... =(

Any help would be much appreciated.
TBR have too much details for organic but I think TBR organic book II can help someone tremendously if he/she is weak on orgo. I would suggest you to do part of book I such as SN1 , SN2, E1, E2...NMR, IR etc. and do book II completely. Do only 1/3 of the passages on each chapter the stand alone questions at the end of each chapter. I did that and it has helped me a great deal....I dont use their bio books. EK and TPRH are all you need for bio...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any other opinions on TBR chapters 5,6, and 7?

Just finished ch 6 today. Bleh. I should of paid attention in biochem...I don't remember learning any of that in ochem lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished ch 6 today. Bleh. I should of paid attention in biochem...I don't remember learning any of that in ochem lol.
I dont remember any of that in ochem OR biochem!. Minus like tollens test and benedicts...

Last edited:
If you're going for high scores (like 13-15), TBR is probably more helpful.

I've finished TPR and am 80% through finishing all of TBR (including all the passages) and I'd say TBR has been more helpful.

One TBR chapter that is almost useless is the metabolic pathways chapter (unless you have tons of time). The rest, however, are good.

Any other opinions on TBR chapters 5,6, and 7?
TBR Bio II Chap 6 is brutal. I just started it and stopped as I could not absorb much. I am still working on a better strategy to get back on TBR Bio Chap 6.

By completing TBR Organic Chem, you won't be made prey by those obscure organic chemistry passages that occasionally plagues the recent BS sections.