Question(s) on Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had a few questions on letters of reccs:

1.) What is the maximum number? I heard the number 4 being tossed around...but does that include the Dean's Letter and the letter from your Home Derm program (i.e.- from the PD or chairman)?

My letters were planning to be:
[Dean's Letter, Home Derm chairman's letter, and 4 dermatologist letters]...I'm guessing that's one too many.

2.) If you exceed the maximum, can that letter, particularly say from an away program, be used just for that program just to say help with that program? Or would that be unfavorable to say send 5 to X school (where you got an extra letter from the chairman/PD there) and 4 to all your other schools

3.) Lastly, in terms of rotations, it sounds like sometime in October is the deadline to get in applications and September 15th for ERAS to open...would a September rotation be the last month to totally be safe in terms of getting reccs in in terms of meeting deadlines/still being the early bird when apps get read and interviews are offerred?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) What is the maximum number? I heard the number 4 being tossed around...but does that include the Dean's Letter and the letter from your Home Derm program (i.e.- from the PD or chairman)?

[Dean's Letter, Home Derm chairman's letter, and 4 dermatologist letters]...I'm guessing that's one too many.

2.) If you exceed the maximum, can that letter, particularly say from an away program, be used just for that program just to say help with that program? Or would that be unfavorable to say send 5 to X school (where you got an extra letter from the chairman/PD there) and 4 to all your other schools

3.) Lastly, in terms of rotations, it sounds like sometime in October is the deadline to get in applications and September 15th for ERAS to open...would a September rotation be the last month to totally be safe in terms of getting reccs in in terms of meeting deadlines/still being the early bird when apps get read and interviews are offerred?

Thanks.

1) The maximum number depends from program to program. I would check to see what each program requests and be sure to give them what they ask for. I usually recommend as many academic dermatologists as you can fit in and definitely include your home chairman/woman letter

2) I would not exceed the maximum that a program asks for. It will make it look like you cannot follow simple instructions

3) Agreed, I usually recommend structuring your first 3 rotations of the year (July, August, September) at places where you can get letters. Most programs interview later and as a result, will review applications later so you can potentially squeeze a letter out of your rotations in the fall but I would recommend trying to secure them by September. (This includes doing your research on programs that may not provide rotators with letters. I, unfortunately, completed one of these rotations without doing any research beforehand from prior rotators)

1.) You can upload as many recommendation letters as you want into ERAS. BUT....You can only submit a maximum # of 4 to any 1 program. Your Dean's Letter (i.e. MSPE) is separate. It is not a recommendation letter. I would recommend (in your case), 1 letter from your PD/chair, 2 letters from dermatologists, and 1 non-dermatologist. You should choose the people who know you the best. While dermatology letters are always valued the most, some programs like to see a letter from a non-dermatologist (i.e. medicine, pediatrics, surgery, etc.) or a research mentor outside of dermatology (if you have one). I'd make sure to collect one of these as well.

2.) You cannot exceed the maximum (i.e. 4) in ERAS. Most programs require 3 or 4 recommendation letters. There is no need to submit a 4th letter to a program requiring 3 unless you feel it will add significantly to your application. You also should definitely not be sending any school supplemental application materials outside of ERAS (recommendation letters, etc.) unless they specifically request it (i.e. a secondary application). Your ERAS application is already longer than what most people can read in 1 sitting.

3.) September should be OK as long as the rotation is over before the end of the month and you let potential recommendation letter writers know you are going to request a letter at the beginning of the rotation. September 15th is the ERAS submission deadline and most people will recommend to have all documents in and sent-out by October 1st when Dean's Letters are released. Some programs have a October 1st deadline for all application materials, though most are later. Earlier is always better.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1.) You can upload as many recommendation letters as you want into ERAS. BUT....You can only submit a maximum # of 4 to any 1 program. Your Dean's Letter (i.e. MSPE) is separate. It is not a recommendation letter. I would recommend (in your case), 1 letter from your PD/chair, 2 letters from dermatologists, and 1 non-dermatologist. You should choose the people who know you the best. While dermatology letters are always valued the most, some programs like to see a letter from a non-dermatologist (i.e. medicine, pediatrics, surgery, etc.) or a research mentor outside of dermatology (if you have one). I'd make sure to collect one of these as well.

2.) You cannot exceed the maximum (i.e. 4) in ERAS. Most programs require 3 or 4 recommendation letters. There is no need to submit a 4th letter to a program requiring 3 unless you feel it will add significantly to your application. You also should definitely not be sending any school supplemental application materials outside of ERAS (recommendation letters, etc.) unless they specifically request it (i.e. a secondary application). Your ERAS application is already longer than what most people can read in 1 sitting.

3.) September should be OK as long as the rotation is over before the end of the month and you let potential recommendation letter writers know you are going to request a letter at the beginning of the rotation. September 15th is the ERAS submission deadline and most people will recommend to have all documents in and sent-out by October 1st when Dean's Letters are released. Some programs have a October 1st deadline for all application materials, though most are later. Earlier is always better.
Does the oct 1st deadline include letters? I was under the impression you could sent LoRs as they were completed after submission?

Does the oct 1st deadline include letters? I was under the impression you could sent LoRs as they were completed after submission?

Depends on the program, but most published deadlines include ALL application materials (recommendation letters too). Many programs only require 3 letters, so a 4th letter can be sent after the deadline and may or may not be considered depending on a how an individual school conducts it's application review process (some places mass print application packets and then distribute around faculty members....meaning, they might not print your final letter if it's received late).

Many programs have later deadlines (as late as mid-November), but you don't want to have to eliminate a great program you're interested in because you don't have application materials ready in time for their earlier deadline. I'd try and make sure all your application materials are ready to go by the earliest deadline among programs you're applying to. In most cases, this is October 1st.

It's not called the Dean's letter anymore, bc it is not a letter of recommendation. You are allowed to send a max of 4. I sent 4 LoRs usually all from derm, unless they asked for a non-derm letter. They aren't keeping count.

On that note, are there any programs that require letters before oct 1 this year?

Question on a recc...this would be a fifth recc (don't really need it) and it is from the chairman from a brief away two week rotation I completed a few months ago. It was unfortunate the rotation was setup that I spent each half day with a different attending, hence not really solidifying a bond with one singular person. All I'm al, the rotation was mostly shadowing but I feel like I meshed well enough with the residents and chairmen.

Bottom line I met with the chairman at the end and in all fairness, his initial reluctance about not writing the letter was justified in that he didn't really work with me much (plus only a two week rotatoon) but he followed up by asking if I worked with anyone else longer, what my board scores were, etc...the meeting was prefaced with talking about the program a bit before dropping the request and it is a program I absolutely loved even though I rotated for two weeks. He was super nice and said he could write a recc and then asked for my CV and Personal statement.

Since this is an extra recc (a 5th) and I got the vibe that it may not be the strongest recc, should I just use the recc for solely that program (and maybe any other regional programs with ties to that department)? I feel like I gave the vibe as a desperate rotator seeking a letter (and now feel I should have even asked), but at the same time, I assumed that seeking letters was the norm on aways.

Reactions: 1 user
Id like to know thoughts on this q too. Is there a consensus on which programs to send your away rotation letters to vs. your home dept letters?

Also I haven't found a single program that said they wanted non-dermatologist letters yet. Any programs that people can name that specifically requested this in years past?