Question/Sticky Situation about joining the Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it possible to take a gap year in medical school if I join the national guard?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not a chance

• That's a dumb question go google it (You don't know the answer)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mat the coolcat

jus tryn'a make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I have been researching all paths of military medicine, and of them I think that the national guard would be the best fit for me. I'll be starting med school in August.
However, I'm in a serious relationship with a gal who is a year behind me and is also planning on attending medical school. She'll have no problem getting in since here scores are better than mine all around. We will most likely get married in the next year or two, and if we did I would preferably take a gap year between my second and third year of medical school so that she could catch up. This would allow us to apply to residency together.

To make a short story long: What is the Guard's policy on taking a gap year in medical school? And how would that affect required repayment years?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

No first hand experience but looking at the regulations a one year leave of absence is permissible, your stipend would be suspended for the year, and then you pick back up. No change to the repayment length.

http://ssitoday.armylive.dodlive.mil/files/2014/03/UR-601_37-Army-Medical-Recruiting-Program-PP.pdf
page 78

As an aside, I would take a break between 3rd and 4th if you're going to take a break. The momentum and fresh basic sciences are a benefit during the 3rd year clerkships and it will allow you a chance to decide what specialty you want to do. Then you have your year off to work on things relevant to your specialty of choice.

Agree with DeadCactus as per the above.
We will most likely get married in the next year or two, and if we did I would preferably take a gap year between my second and third year of medical school so that she could catch up.
Might hold of on a decision like deferring medical school for a year until you are actually married. "Most likely married" and "married" can be further from the same thing than they appear and deferring a year of a physician's salary until that plan is confirmed might be regrettable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No first hand experience but looking at the regulations a one year leave of absence is permissible, your stipend would be suspended for the year, and then you pick back up. No change to the repayment length.

http://ssitoday.armylive.dodlive.mil/files/2014/03/UR-601_37-Army-Medical-Recruiting-Program-PP.pdf
page 78

As an aside, I would take a break between 3rd and 4th if you're going to take a break. The momentum and fresh basic sciences are a benefit during the 3rd year clerkships and it will allow you a chance to decide what specialty you want to do. Then you have your year off to work on things relevant to your specialty of choice.

^That is good advice, I would not have thought of that. I was under the impression that you could only take a gap year after the your second year of medical school. I'm glad to be proven wrong! Also thank you for the link.

Agree with DeadCactus as per the above.

Might hold of on a decision like deferring medical school for a year until you are actually married. "Most likely married" and "married" can be further from the same thing than they appear and deferring a year of a physician's salary until that plan is confirmed might be regrettable.

^Absolutely. Not planning on deferring until that ring is on her finger and my knees are shaking at the alter.

Last edited:
^That is good advice, I would not have thought of that. I was under the impression that you could only take a gap year after the your third year of medical school. I'm glad to be proven wrong!
After 2nd is best. That's when most of your MD/PhDs take their break too...