Questions about applying to residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gobblox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a 3rd year Osteopathic Student who is seriously looking into becoming a Pathologist (yes, even despite the raging debates about the dismal prospective job market).

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice and answer some questions for me.

1.) I scored a 561 on the COMLEX 1 and did NOT take USMLE Step 1 (that is about the 70th percentile from what I read...the average COMLEX score is 500)...should I take USMLE Step 2 or do most programs accept the COMLEX without a fuss?

2.) What kind of things do pathology residencies look for? Research? Leadership? Is it all about board scores?

3.) Does rotating at programs help? Or is it all about how you look on paper?

4.) I have been looking at programs and seeing if there are DO's on their rosters, is there any other advice you guys have for a 3rd year interested in Pathology ("Don't go into Path" doesn't count)

If someone out there has an insight into application processes, I would be more than happy to PM with more details as to my CV.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I am a 3rd year Osteopathic Student who is seriously looking into becoming a Pathologist (yes, even despite the raging debates about the dismal prospective job market).

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice and answer some questions for me.

1.) I scored a 561 on the COMLEX 1 and did NOT take USMLE Step 1 (that is about the 70th percentile from what I read...the average COMLEX score is 500)...should I take USMLE Step 2 or do most programs accept the COMLEX without a fuss?

2.) What kind of things do pathology residencies look for? Research? Leadership? Is it all about board scores?

4.) I have been looking at programs and seeing if there are DO's on their rosters, is there any other advice you guys have for a 3rd year interested in Pathology ("Don't go into Path" doesn't count)

If someone out there has an insight into application processes, I would be more than happy to PM with more details as to my CV.

1) Not sure. I didn't even know programs would accept COMLEX over Step 1 and Step 2. Not being mean at all, but just showing my ignorance. I thought you had to take Step 1 and Step 2
2) Research is good, leadership is fine. Not all about board scores. Most places just want to make sure you are hard working, an ADEQUATE test taker (so they don't have to worry about you failing boards) and not crazy. Not crazy is probably one of the more important attributes
3) I think it helps b/c you may find out you don't even like the program when you thought you would love them on paper and it can help you get a spot at a program you really want/like
4) I would look at that. Some programs still have an aversion to DOs although I think its dumb. I would just go someplace you will be happy for 4 years. When you interview try and see if the residents actually look happy. Its pretty easy to tell. If nobody has time to take you to lunch, then probably not a place you want to go. Avoid a place where you will be grossing all the time b/c it really is of no educational value, but if it is a big name place, it might help you for fellowship. Also pick a place that has a lot of fellowships or the fellowship that you want. A ton of fellowship spots are simply given in-house. So if you know you want to do dermpath or GI for instance, the place you match needs to have that fellowship.

Wow, I was just getting ready to make this same exact thread lol. I'm also a 3rd year DO student, similar board score (549), just wondering what kind of things will make me more appealing to residency programs. Is it too late to get started in research? Are there volunteer opportunities or other extracurricular things that residencies would be impressed with?

Members don't see this ad :)

We currently have two D.O. residents and have had others in the past (I'm at William Beaumont Health System in Royal Oak, Michigan for those who don't feel like digging through my old posts to find this info). I would recommend doing a rotation, if possible, at programs that you are particularly interested in or think would be a good fit for you. In my experience, if you are hard working, enthusiastic and personable during a rotation, that will help your application much more than how you look on paper. I found this to be true in applying for fellowships as well as residency.

1. I don't know what the COMLEX to USMLE ratio is, but I do know that path is not as competitive as other specialties for USMLE, for what it's worth.

2. Pathology residencies look for good medical students, like any other specialty. Leadership, organizations, etc. will not hurt you. I think that, more than anything, some sort of research experience would help you.

3. If you are certain about wanting to go to a certain program, most definitely do a rotation there. First, you get to meet your future attendings, show them you're a real person, and you will be remembered when your application comes up before committees. Secondly, you will learn whether or not the program is a good fit for you. I did not do any rotations, so if you don't do them and you are a good student, not doing a rotation will not hurt you.

4. We do not have any DO's in my program (that I know of), but my home institution had several DO's. I think it's a wise decision to focus your search on programs that already have DO residents. Contact some of your med schools previous graduates that went into pathology, they will be able to give you the best information possible regarding specific institutions.

I generally agree with the other suggestions here. Though, it may be too late for any new research projects to really help your resume any more.

At this point, I suggest making sure you've taken several pathology rotations to demonstrate that you understand what pathology is all about. In my experience, many applicants have only taken a brief required path rotation, and maybe 2-4 more weeks of elective to get a taste of things. That's certainly better than nothing, but if you can do more I would do so. For the most part I find applicants don't really understand what they'd be getting into. That tends to make program directors nervous, as they can't predict if you'll be "into" the residency once you start. They also can't tell if you're really interested in path or are just using it as a fallback or because of laziness. Sadly, this is a problem path programs face.

However, for example, the fact that I had taken 5 months of pathology electives (general surgpath, pediatric, blood bank, clinical chemistry, and forensics) was a clear sign to many programs that I was serious about my choice of specialty. I feel this gave me a significant leg-up.

Wow Johnny. That definitely beats my 0 months of a pathology elective before going into path! ;)

I generally agree with the other suggestions here. Though, it may be too late for any new research projects to really help your resume any more.

At this point, I suggest making sure you've taken several pathology rotations to demonstrate that you understand what pathology is all about. In my experience, many applicants have only taken a brief required path rotation, and maybe 2-4 more weeks of elective to get a taste of things. That's certainly better than nothing, but if you can do more I would do so. For the most part I find applicants don't really understand what they'd be getting into. That tends to make program directors nervous, as they can't predict if you'll be "into" the residency once you start. They also can't tell if you're really interested in path or are just using it as a fallback or because of laziness. Sadly, this is a problem path programs face.

However, for example, the fact that I had taken 5 months of pathology electives (general surgpath, pediatric, blood bank, clinical chemistry, and forensics) was a clear sign to many programs that I was serious about my choice of specialty. I feel this gave me a significant leg-up.

Many programs have at least one recent tale of a resident who tapped out upon realizing the practice of pathology was not at all what they envisioned. I think it's a very real, and realistic, fear among programs. Having done zero pathology rotations or any semblance of something akin to that could easily be a negative -- not neutral, but negative -- when programs review applications. I don't think one should feel like they absolutely must do 5+ months, but 4-6 weeks'ish in a working pathology department including AP/surg path (not research, not *just* autopsy/forensic, not *just* blood bank or chemistry, etc.) would be advisable. After that IMO people should use their electives for a little fun or something interesting they'll never really get another chance to do.

Hi All,

Unless you take USMLE steps 1, 2, and 3, I would guess your chances of getting into a US pathology residency that is not specific to DO's is probably around 0.0%.

Unless you take USMLE steps 1, 2, and 3, I would guess your chances of getting into a US pathology residency that is not specific to DO's is probably around 0.0%.

I am surprised at the level of trolling coming from an attending.

Everyone else, thank you so much for your wisdom! There is some great advice here. Keep it coming! Does anyone have any insight as to the value of Step 2 CK to directors without Step 1?

Gwilner,
You are seriously out of the loop. Where are you? A good number of Patholgoy residencies will accept COMLEX 1&2. You don't take 3 until middle of year one of residency....
To the questions asked by the DO student....you should ask the program if they accept COMLEX. Refer them to the NBOME website if they have questions about how to quantify the score versus USMLE.
You cant take USMLE 2 without taking USMLE 1. I do know a Patholgoy resident who did take USMLE 1&2 to apply to one particular program, then she was accepted by another program she liked much better and had a history of sccepting DO's that simply used her COMLEX scores.
Do rotations at the programs you are most interested in and use those to get Recommendation letters from.
Good luck!

You cant take USMLE 2 without taking USMLE 1.

I apologize if I'm incorrect here, but this isn't true. An an IMG, you may take Step 1, 2CK, or CS in any order you wish - so long as you complete the requisite 2 years of medical school. I'm not sure if this is the same with AMGs.

I know alumni from my school who have taken USMLE Step 2 CK without USMLE Step 1, so maybe things have changed?

Thank you again everyone for your input. Any advice anyone has to offer would be great. Keep it coming!