Questions about Applying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurept15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new here, but here's a little about myself:

I was a nursing student because I wanted to be sure to have a back up plan in case I didn't get accepted into PT school. I was doing great in that but it was not what I wanted, so I transferred schools and am now majoring in Health Sciences. I will graduate in May. I have all of my pre-reqs except for Physics 1&2 which I am taking this fall & spring. I have over 100 hours of volunteer hours at 4 different locations (1 childrens hospital, 1 hospital outpatient, and 2 PT clinics) and currently work as a PT tech at a clinic. My overall GPA is 3.66 and I'm not sure what my pre-req GPA is, but I got a C in Physiology, B in Anatomy, and B's in Chem1&2, and A's in everything else. I am currently studying for the GRE and will take it and start applying this summer.

I am planning on applying to schools in Texas and Missouri, but I have a couple questions and would appreciate help :)

For the GRE, are only the Verbal & Quantitative parts looked at or is the writing also looked at?

Will my C and couple of B's look too bad on my application?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from Missouri University (Mizzou) in May with my BS in Health Science and was accepted to the DPT program that starts June 7. I got As in Anatomy and Physiology I & II, A in Chem I, B in Chem II, Bs in Physics I & II and As in everything else. Mizzou calculates your overall GPA based on the last 60 hours of coursework which could help if your first couple of semesters weren't that great. I was waitlisted due to a low GRE (I hate timed tests) so I would make sure you study hard and do well. Mizzou does not use PTCAS so their applicant pool isn't as large as some other schools. This year they had 150 applicants, interviewed 75, accepted about 50 or so before they filled their class of 44 slots. Rockhurst in Kansas City, Missouri State University in Springfield, and Washington University in St. Louis all have DPT programs as well. SLU and Maryville Universities only accept you at the freshman level.

Good Luck!

I'm new here, but here's a little about myself:

I was a nursing student because I wanted to be sure to have a back up plan in case I didn't get accepted into PT school. I was doing great in that but it was not what I wanted, so I transferred schools and am now majoring in Health Sciences. I will graduate in May. I have all of my pre-reqs except for Physics 1&2 which I am taking this fall & spring. I have over 100 hours of volunteer hours at 4 different locations (1 childrens hospital, 1 hospital outpatient, and 2 PT clinics) and currently work as a PT tech at a clinic. My overall GPA is 3.66 and I'm not sure what my pre-req GPA is, but I got a C in Physiology, B in Anatomy, and B's in Chem1&2, and A's in everything else. I am currently studying for the GRE and will take it and start applying this summer.

I am planning on applying to schools in Texas and Missouri, but I have a couple questions and would appreciate help :)

For the GRE, are only the Verbal & Quantitative parts looked at or is the writing also looked at?

Will my C and couple of B's look too bad on my application?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

All 3 sections of the GRE is looked at. As a minimum, most schools want a 4 in writing, and more than a combined 1000 on the other 2. As long as your pre req and overall GPAs are above 3.0 (the higher the better) then I wouldn't necessarily worry about them.

Do well on the GREs and whatever classes you have left and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'll work my butt off to get a good grade in Physics and keep studying for my GRE!!

Hey myzougrad, Missouri State's program is a doctorate program now??

Mizzou just graduated their first DPT class on May 15. Missouri State's program is now a Doctorate program.

Another question:

When I take the GRE should I put the schools I am interested in on the test so that my scores will be sent to them? Or should I wait and get my scores and then send them to the schools? Do PT schools take the highest score, the first score, or a combination?