Questions about Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDLissa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently finishing up my junior (undergrad) year in Communication Disorders. Initially I wanted to become an SLP but after learning more about audiology I am now considering that path instead.

Could you tell me why you became interested in audiology and also what you feel the pros and cons of the profession are?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am finishing my 4th year at WSU and will be graduating with my Au.D. next month!

I love Audiology because I feel it's more clear cut than SLP. I like the fact that Audiologists enable people to hear better and that we get to experience the reaction of people who can now hear the sound of birds, for example, that they haven't heard in 20+ years!

I think that there are many opportunities for Audiologists....if you are willing to move. We were first told that there are jobs EVERYWHERE for us....when in reality most of them are in different states. Yes, there are many opportunities for AuD's, however, once people find a job they tend to stay in it for YEARS (at least that's how it is around here). It is def worth looking into attending some of the top schools for AuD programs if you're able. I've talked to many students and they all have noted weaknesses in their programs.

Also - try to look up what you would earn as a full-time AuD where you are living - our professors WAYYY over estimated how much we would be earning once we left school....

Mzpiorot, I just accepted my offer to WSU (I'm assuming you're taking about Wayne State). Do you remember who you took statistics with? Turns out they've changed some courses around and we can only take one section with a professor named Barry Markman. Was just wondering if you know anything about how his class is and how he is as a professor. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry - I'm actually from Wichita State University in KS! lol. So many schools with the same abbreviations. Sorry I can't help with your statistics question!

Haha darn, well congrats on being almost done!!

mzpoirot Thank you for your response!

I am really interested in Audiology and would be willing to move. I just wanted to make sure there were job opportunities because of the student loan debt I'm sure I will occur.

Congratulations on getting you AuD soon!!!!

Audiology is a great profession, but you will have to be willing to move to where the jobs are. It's not like speech language pathology or nursing or many other healthcare fields. So yes there are tons of jobs, but there are not usually many high paying jobs in rural areas. Most of the jobs are in snowbird country where seniors live. You can make good money in audiology and it's a nice field to work in. I was in nursing and I prefer my audiology clinic schedule over being on call or seeing a ton of patients in a day as I would have had to as a nurse.

You also have to remember audiology is a very young field too. It's growing in power and recognition, but it still has a very long way to go. In most areas you would actually make more as a speech language pathologist and work the same type of schedule, but it really comes down to how your brain works. Me I would hate to work on articulation therapy for months at a time and see no improvement in a patient. That to me would be torture. I enjoy in audiology there is just enough counseling to keep it fun and fluid, but there is a set protocol and a lot of concrete processes from evaluation to treatment.

I know it's a lot to think about. You will be spending 2 extra years in school to work a career that will make the same or often times less than a masters program makes and with fewer job offers in your geographical area (most likely). None of us are audiologists because of the money. I could have easily been a clinical psychologist, a nurse practitioner, a physician assistant, or even a full fledged physician with my background and skill set and be making easily double what I make now, but I still get up and go to work everyday and love what I do. I'm happy with my decision to become an audiologist.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Audiology seems like a great career path for me, I had to do a lot of the research on my own because as with almost all CD undergrad programs, the information is pretty all for SLPs.

Now I am hoping to find an audiologist in my area that I can shadow or volunteer in their office.