Questions about BS in Psych degree and pursuing MA in Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azalea Skie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received my BS in Psychology and would like to know if there are any possible jobs in this field I could get with this degree? If it matters, I live in Florida.

Also, I am looking into pursuing my masters in Psychology as well; however I am stuck as to what specialization I should look into. I do not want a degree that I cannot do anything with. It is not going to be possible for me to do interning or residencies. Would a masters degree in general or forensic psychology be worth it, or would I have to go on to get my Ph.D or PsyD as well? Is it possible to get hired with a masters degree in psychology?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The bachelors in psych can get you a job...just not in psychology itself. A college degree of some sort is often times a prereq for many jobs. You could be a research assistant in a psych lab..however the pay is pretty terrible and these are not viewed as long-time jobs/careers, merely stepping stones before grad school

If you are not willing to do practica, internship, and fellowships then a doctorate in psych is certainly not for you. Even a masters in clinical psychology, or any applied area of psych/mental health, will require practicum and internships.

Last edited:
I have no idea what one does with a masters in forensic psychology that provides no clinical training. Masters in general are usually "stepping-stone" degrees as well.

I do not want a degree that I cannot do anything with. It is not going to be possible for me to do interning or residencies. Would a masters degree in general or forensic psychology be worth it, or would I have to go on to get my Ph.D or PsyD as well? Is it possible to get hired with a masters degree in psychology?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Specialize in whatever interests you. There are options for people who have Master's degrees, but it very much depends on what you want to do.

I have a job as a Statistical Analyst, which I got shortly after earning my Master's degree in Psychology. I got this job approximately two months after receiving my degree. It pays reasonably well, and I have full staff benefits at the University (including health & dental insurance, retirement, & etc).

(Full disclosure: I am also a PhD student here; the program is fully funded; the benefits I listed above I receive as part of the Statistical Analyst position, not as a function of being a PhD student)

If I were looking for work in a clinical setting, I "couldn't do anything" with the degree I have, as I do not have a Master's degree in that specific area, nor do I have clinical training; I made that decision when I applied to Master's programs.

Why can you not do internships or residencies? Is it something that will prevent you from obtaining employment? When I hear can not (assuming that is what you mean, as opposed to just not wanting to move for them), then a position requiring a licence (i.e., Master's level practitioner) is not going to be an option for you. I/O psychologists do well with a Master's degree, but even they often need to go through a professional consultation with a business as a formal project for part of their degree program.

What is it that you want to do?