Questions about DIY post-bacc at UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immaxf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a graduating senior at USC, and I'm weighing my options for both DIY post-bacc and formal programs. I've got a few questions regarding the DIY route that I haven't been able to resolve through searching:

-I assume I'd need to apply to UCSD (or any school at which I'd like to take classes) as a freshman, correct? If so, how much does a 3.3 undergrad gpa help/hurt my chances? I also got a 2100 on the SAT 4 years ago.

-Would I be eligible to register for all of the pre-med classes that I'll need to take? Or will I first have to sludge through lower-division courses to qualify?

-How long could I reasonably expect to be in school if I took classes part time? 2 years maybe? I'd like to get some work and volunteer experience done while simultaneously taking classes.

Any other advice regarding the technicalities of DIY would be appreciated, especially as it pertains to UC schools. Though I'm originally from another state, I love living in California and would love to take advantage of my in-state residency to go to a UC and prep for med school :)

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot apply as a Frosh if you already have a college degree. Nor can you apply as a transfer.

Some of the UC campuses will accept applicants who already have a undergrad degree, but UCSD is not one of them.

You would have to 'apply' to the Extension program, I believe.