Questions about endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fancypantsdance

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interest in endocrinology but I never hear much about the field...

What is the outlook for the field? What do endocrinologists typically deal with everyday? Is it competitive?

What sort of CV/scores should one have if they want to enter this field?

Members don't see this ad.

the demand is definitely there, the supply is not huge, so finding a job isn't difficult so the outlook is good (and there is a projected shortfall, but thats medicine in general too).

since it is not procedure heavy, you don't' make considerably more than IM (and hospitalist can definitely make more) so those that do go into the field are generally interested in endocrinology.

depends on where you are….in the community….thyroid, diabetes, hypogonadism,osteoporosis, hyperparathyroidism….in an academic setting, you may see more adrenal, pituitary issues, but you still see a lot of the bread and butter stuff…

research helps but not absolutely necessary…not really sure how important scores are…probably important to have 1st time pass and at least at the mean…

apply widely and if you are a decent USMD then you shouldn't have any issues….FMG, well its still a field that is pretty open but (as with any other specialty) you need to have higher scores and research (or at least poster presentations) will help.

Thanks for the feedback!

You mention the prospects for US MD and FMG, what about US DO? As an Osteopathic student, will I have to be better than the average USMD to be considered, or is it a DO friendly field?

Thanks for the feedback!

You mention the prospects for US MD and FMG, what about US DO? As an Osteopathic student, will I have to be better than the average USMD to be considered, or is it a DO friendly field?
Actually I'm not sure how friendly it is....the match results tend to say no since there are more FMGs matching to endo than DOs but that could also be related to how many DOs apply...
I would generally say anyone not a USMD needs to aim to have stats better than than a US grad

if you are not in a residency program yet, your best shot is in house…you may want to make sure there is an endocrine program where you do residency.

Last edited: