Questions about Hip Revision surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catanimal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am unsure if this thread is allowed here, but hopefully this is the right place.

I am a mechanical engineer working on my final year project looking into the process of removing PMMA bone cement from the femoral canal during hip revision surgery. I am looking for information from any orthopaedic surgeons or from anyone who may have relevant experience.

As I understand it one of the most difficult steps of hip revision surgery is the removal of the cement prior to the placement of the new implant. My questions are mainly related to the process of cement removal and the difficulties involved. I will post a couple of starter questions but if you need to elaborate on them go ahead, I may also ask a couple of follow up questions if you don't mind. If you would rather pm me your answers then that is fine with me!

• What techniques and tools do you use to remove bone cement from the distal region of the femoral canal?
  • What techniques and tools do you use to remove bone cement from the proximal region of the femoral canal? (if different)

• What would you say are the most difficult or time consuming parts of the cement removal process?

• What difficulties or complications (for example perforation of the cortex) are most common during cement removal, what would you estimate the prevalence of these problems to be during revision procedures?

• What would you say are the main causes of these complications? Does the use of certain tools or techniques lead to complications frequently?

Thanks for any information you can give! Sorry if I am asking very basic questions, this isn't my normal field so it is a bit of a steep learning curve!

Thanks again!

S

Members don't see this ad.