Questions About Interviewing & Related Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, so I leave tomorrow morning for an interview on Friday at my top choice clinical PhD program. Last night I received a "revised" schedule for the day and I'm now scheduled to interview individually with FIVE faculty members and two grad students (all for half an hour each except for my primary POI who I'm with for 45 minutes). Two of these faculty members were added to my schedule less than 48 hours in advance. I'm doing quite a bit of reading about my two POIs and the DCT, but do you think it's alright to just read/skim an article or two about the other two faculty? There's really no research similarities at all between us (though their research is certainly interesting to me, one in particular). I wasn't sure if I would be expected to come in knowing a ton about them/be exceedingly familiar with their work or if having general knowledge of what they're up to will be sufficient.

Also, I feel like I vaguely remember a post floating around somewhere with a list of potential questions for US to ask our interviewers. Anyone have a link to that (or something similar)?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the averages ect on acceptances post interview? I mean, if someone got an interview, is there a 50% chance of acceptance? higher?

Does anyone know the averages ect on acceptances post interview? I mean, if someone got an interview, is there a 50% chance of acceptance? higher?

Depends on the program. It's probably not that high, though, at least not for most clinical programs. Most of mine have been like a 1 in 5 chance of getting accepted for clin programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it OK to bring a water bottle along to my interviews??

I know I will have a folder with my CV and questions in one hand, but can I have a water bottle in the other?

Also, is there anything else I should put in my folder?

Thanks!

I've brought my whole purse with my planner, my phone, a bottle of water, and my folder and notes. I've seen guys with bags, too. It makes things easier.

I've brought my whole purse with my planner, my phone, a bottle of water, and my folder and notes. I've seen guys with bags, too. It makes things easier.

While I probably wouldn't bring a roller bag (though it does happen), I think a bag/purse for a woman and a bag/briefcase/portfolio is fine to bring. As a guy, I tend to travel light, though I still sometimes bring a portfolio bag so I can keep a folder, bottle of water, and whatever random other things I think would be useful.

Okay, so I leave tomorrow morning for an interview on Friday at my top choice clinical PhD program. Last night I received a "revised" schedule for the day and I'm now scheduled to interview individually with FIVE faculty members and two grad students (all for half an hour each except for my primary POI who I'm with for 45 minutes). Two of these faculty members were added to my schedule less than 48 hours in advance. I'm doing quite a bit of reading about my two POIs and the DCT, but do you think it's alright to just read/skim an article or two about the other two faculty? There's really no research similarities at all between us (though their research is certainly interesting to me, one in particular). I wasn't sure if I would be expected to come in knowing a ton about them/be exceedingly familiar with their work or if having general knowledge of what they're up to will be sufficient.

Also, I feel like I vaguely remember a post floating around somewhere with a list of potential questions for US to ask our interviewers. Anyone have a link to that (or something similar)?

Thanks guys!

This has happened to me at a few of my interviews so far. In my experience (while limited), the faculty members who you are not applying to work with generally do not expect you to know their work. They will mostly ask you about what you've done and your interests - more kind of general match with your POI(s) and the program. I asked general questions to these faculty members about the program as well and also some that I'd asked other students and my POIs as well. If I was interviewing with a faculty member that my POI collaborates with, I asked questions pertaining to the collaborative work they do. I hope this helps!

Hi everyone. I have an interview at CW post this wkend and was wondering if anyone has some info they can provide about their experience interviewing there. Anything would be of help. i am getting increasingly more nervous....

Depends on the program. It's probably not that high, though, at least not for most clinical programs. Most of mine have been like a 1 in 5 chance of getting accepted for clin programs.

Would anyone happen to know the approximate odds of acceptance for a Counseling Psyc program?

I'm a nervous wreck, and my two interviews are still two weeks away!

I finished my first (of five) interviews yesterday. Huge relief to get that first one behind me. Quick question: when sending thank you notes, should they be sent to the department's administrative assistant/secretary, to the POI, both?

thanks and best of luck to you all

Would anyone happen to know the approximate odds of acceptance for a Counseling Psyc program?

I'm a nervous wreck, and my two interviews are still two weeks away!

It's really hard to estimate, considering people apply to a different number, with different interests, and slots can be dependent on these interests.

Don't freak yourself out about the process....go...interview, and if it is a good fit than hopefully you get an offer.

I posted this in the Ontario Schools thread, but maybe other people on here are in the same/similar situation:

I got an invite for a phone interview at one of my schools. However, from the emails with the individual who will be interviewing me, it sounds like admission decisions will be based solely on phone interviews (no in-person interviews), and the entire 1.5 hour interview will be with this individual, whom I did not mention in my SOP. I mentioned 2 POIs in my SOP, and I have not heard anything from either of them. I've checked all over the program's website, and found no mention of the interviewer being in a managerial or administrative position for the program I'm applying to.

That said, I've since found out that this particular program has somewhat of a different mentorship model: only after you have been in the program for a year, do you select your supervisor. The first year is spent adjusting to graduate school and integrating yourself into the program.

So, my question is, what kind of questions should I be prepared for? Do you think I'll still be asked pointed questions about my POIs research? My instinct is to focus more on the research that I've been involved in and how this has shaped my research interests... but I don't know! Any help appreciated! :)

So, my question is, what kind of questions should I be prepared for? Do you think I'll still be asked pointed questions about my POIs research? My instinct is to focus more on the research that I've been involved in and how this has shaped my research interests... but I don't know! Any help appreciated! :)
That is a very good instinct. I think you are on the right path with that. One of the most important things I learned about communication is being able to know how to say what I want to say in a concise manner. In business it is called an "elevator talk/speech", essentially a few sentences that touches on the who/what/where/etc you are in maybe 15-20 seconds. Obviously you'll need more depth after that, but it is much easier for the interviewer to ask questions when you give them something good to work with.

I'm sorry for reposting this, but to whom do you send thank you cards to after the interview? To the department? To the DCT? To my POI? All?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
All? Seriously? Can any one else chime in on this?

Speaking for myself, I sent email thank yous to the two professors I interviewed with. This was a PsyD program. If I'd been at a school where I'd identified POIs, I'd certainly thank them, and possibly other individuals who I'd had significant contact with on interview day.

All? Seriously? Can any one else chime in on this?

Clarification: If during your interview day, you talked with the DCT, then you should send them a thank you. You send a thank you to whomever interviews you. If you were interviewed by two people, you send two separate thank yous. It is also nice to send thank yous to administrative assistants or secretaries that helped you on interview day. And, if you stayed with any graduate students, send them thank yous as well.

I'm curious about thank you etiquette as well. I'm planning on sending thank you emails rather than handwritten cards because the school where I interviewed is on the other side of the country and I know the selection committee is meeting on Tuesday. I interviewed with five professors (two POIs) and two grad students. I'm planning on sending the two POIs individual emails, but is it alright to send one email addressed to all three of the others? Or should I separately send them each the same (or similar) one-liner email? Also, I don't have access to individual emails for all of the grad students who were around and truly made the interview a wonderful, fun experience -- do you guys think it's okay to send a thank you email for them to the office secretary and ask her to forward it on/share it with them? Or should I send that to my primary POI?

Thanks so much!!!

I'm curious about thank you etiquette as well. I'm planning on sending thank you emails rather than handwritten cards because the school where I interviewed is on the other side of the country and I know the selection committee is meeting on Tuesday. I interviewed with five professors (two POIs) and two grad students. I'm planning on sending the two POIs individual emails, but is it alright to send one email addressed to all three of the others? Or should I separately send them each the same (or similar) one-liner email? Also, I don't have access to individual emails for all of the grad students who were around and truly made the interview a wonderful, fun experience -- do you guys think it's okay to send a thank you email for them to the office secretary and ask her to forward it on/share it with them? Or should I send that to my primary POI?

Thanks so much!!!

I think it is best to send separate emails to each professor that you met. As far as the grad. students are concerned, I think you can send an email to the secretary and ask him/her to forward it to the grad. students.

And, yes, an email is just fine. Time is of the essence.

I asked this very same question to the four graduate students in my lab and ALL of them told me to only send a thank you note to my POI and to anyone that went out of their way over the interview (picked me up from the airport, let me sleep at their place, etc.) One said that I should include a note at the end saying to send my regards to the faculty and students I met with. Just thought I'd put a different perspective in.

I'm sorry for reposting this, but to whom do you send thank you cards to after the interview? To the department? To the DCT? To my POI? All?

Thanks!

Last edited:
For those who interviewed at Loyola on Friday, does anyone know when we may hear back from them??

hey i am too lazy to look does anyone have a link or info on how to properly turn down an offer? Admittedly want to be cowardly and do it by email if possible :)

So here I go with my story...
I was fortunate enough to receive an interview invite at one of my top choices. I was very happy to go and excited to see the school and meet everyone. When the interview day started, I found out there were 5 applicants (including me) to work with this particular POI. And ... two of them have already worked with her in the past. One of them just briefly, and the other one extensively. You can imagine my surprise when I saw them flanking my POI most of the time and making their little inside jokes and everything. My POI seemed really nice though and seemed to like me... I have a very special background and she had a similar one before she switched to clinical psych... So I guess she really believed in me. Anyway. I was the only applicant still in undergrad at the interview (for the whole program). And this girl who used to work with my POI wasn't making things easier. She was always following the professor around, she never spoke to the other applicants, looking all smug and entitled. :(
I don't know what to think now. Everyone else seemed ok and the grad students seemed quite interested in me. They noticed the arrogant student and made sure I get the chance to talk to the POI at the after-party. Although my POI believed I was "fantastic" (her words) my instinct kind of tells me it will be hard to get an offer. I tried my best, maybe I will be an alternate? In any case, what do you guys think of this situation? :confused: :scared:

I was fortunate enough to receive an interview invite at one of my top choices. I was very happy to go and excited to see the school and meet everyone. When the interview day started, I found out there were 5 applicants (including me) to work with this particular POI. And ... two of them have already worked with her in the past. One of them just briefly, and the other one extensively. You can imagine my surprise when I saw them flanking my POI most of the time and making their little inside jokes and everything. My POI seemed really nice though and seemed to like me... I have a very special background and she had a similar one before she switched to clinical psych... So I guess she really believed in me. Anyway. I was the only applicant still in undergrad at the interview (for the whole program). And this girl who used to work with my POI wasn't making things easier. She was always following the professor around, she never spoke to the other applicants, looking all smug and entitled. :(
I don't know what to think now. Everyone else seemed ok and the grad students seemed quite interested in me. They noticed the arrogant student and made sure I get the chance to talk to the POI at the after-party. Although my POI believed I was "fantastic" (her words) my instinct kind of tells me it will be hard to get an offer. I tried my best, maybe I will be an alternate? In any case, what do you guys think of this situation? :confused: :scared:

I think you just need to wait optimistically. There's nothing you can do now to increase your chances, so just have hope, focus on your upcoming interviews if you have any, and check in on that program in a couple weeks if you don't hear anything. Don't give yourself a headache over it.

Two thoughts that came to me while reading this... First of all, many POIs would encourage someone who's worked extensively with them to branch out, to find another program and another mentor to work with for grad school. Perhaps this POI feels that way, and will be less inclined to accept the applicants who've already worked with her?

Also, it was the applicant behaving arrogantly, not the POI. Her behavior reflects poorly on her; it demonstrates how she reacts in a stressful situation, and how she behaves in a situation where (she believes) she's got a more powerful/favorable position than others. That she was acting "smug and entitled", and ignoring the other applicants, says something about her, and you can bet that psychology grad students and faculty will notice that and draw certain conclusions. If the POI noticed this woman's behavior (or had it pointed out by the grad students after the interview day), this applicant may have actually hurt her chances and improved yours. So don't despair, it may yet work out for you!

So I have an interview this Friday at a school I interview at last year and got wait listed. Needless to say, I did not get accepted. I know this may sound silly, but I'm really nervous about my one-on-one interviews with the faculty because I'm afraid I'll feel "embarrassed" because this is my second time interviewing with them:oops:. I'm just trying my best to remove any negative thoughts and replace them with confidence:) I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice about the best way to handle this situation. Thanks!

So I have an interview this Friday at a school I interview at last year and got wait listed. Needless to say, I did not get accepted. I know this may sound silly, but I'm really nervous about my one-on-one interviews with the faculty because I'm afraid I'll feel "embarrassed" because this is my second time interviewing with them:oops:. I'm just trying my best to remove any negative thoughts and replace them with confidence:) I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice about the best way to handle this situation. Thanks!

Well, you shouldn't feel embarrassed at all!!! . . . They chose to give you a second chance, which shows that they believe you are a good candidate for their program. If you had done something worthy of feeling embarrassed, you certainly would not have received an interview invite this go round.

Go in there with confidence and show them you belong there. This could work out very well for you. By applying to the same program again, you are showing them that you really want to be a part of THEIR program, not just A program.

I've already a handful of interviews for programs doing research on one of my interests and those went well but the rest of my interviews are for programs doing research on my other interest, substance abuse.

I'm sure I will be asked why substance abuse. The truth is that my mother has struggled with alcoholism for the majority of my life but I feel this might not be a great thing to say at an interview. This is alluded to in my personal statement, I'm just not sure what is appropriate and how to answer honestly without being overly revealing.

Any thoughts?

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on wearing boots with jeans to a casual dinner with professors and grad students? I was told to wear jeans, but I'm worried that boots are too trendy/not professional enough. The boots I'm considering wearing are flat black leather boots, very simple. My only other shoe option is a stylish black patent leather loafer. What do y'all think?

Thanks!

I think it is important to draw on your experiences since your last interview and how those have not only shaped your goals but if they have changed at all in the last year. I had a similar situation happen to me last year. I had interviewed been rejected and then asked for another interview. I felt that I must have a really good chance at this point to be accepted to the program. Not really sure what happened, but did not get accepted. Life goes on. Just stay positive and good luck

Many people will be wearing suits, but what you described sounds sufficiently professional. I wouldn't worry about it.

Not sure about Alabama-- Sorry!

Good luck with the interview.

At my interview last week, I was the ONLY person not in a suit. Wow. I think it worked in my favor because it would influence how memorable I was, "girl in the blue shirt" as opposed to one of the "men in black" (which is what a grad student referred to the group as, because everyone was so dressed up)

If two people really are equally qualified, I think it makes good sense to go with the one is more likely to dress professionally with clients and who has a good sense of etiquette in that regard.

Here are some silly dress questions that are making me nervous:
  • What should I wear on the plane? Am I expected to come out of a 6 hour plane ride dressed professionally and looking crisp?
  • What if the weekend includes a party? Should I go casual?
Now back to studying for my interviews....

I fly stand-by, so my traveling can take a full 24 hours... When I arrived they said, "I bet you really want a shower, let's get you settled at my house. I know I always feel dirty after flying and that the first thing I want to do is take a shower." That was awesome. We did go to a party too. I had packed REALLY light, so I didn't even have very many options of clothing.

My first interview is Friday and I have been given the schedule and who I will be interviewing with.

I will have time to speak with the professors that I have not interviewed with for a period of time after my two one-on-one interviews, however, I was wondering if I should speak with other profs or if I should speak to my POI some more?

I am reading a few papers by both of the people I am interviewing with (my poi and another professor that after looking her up I find some of her work very closely related to my interests).

Let me know what you think!

So, at my last school, I interviewed with 6 grad students, and 3 professors. This weekend, it's 1 grad student and 6 professors. I'm worried. A lot of them are adjunct faculty, only 3 are full professors... But my practice was with all grad-students. Ahhh!

I've already a handful of interviews for programs doing research on one of my interests and those went well but the rest of my interviews are for programs doing research on my other interest, substance abuse.

I'm sure I will be asked why substance abuse. The truth is that my mother has struggled with alcoholism for the majority of my life but I feel this might not be a great thing to say at an interview. This is alluded to in my personal statement, I'm just not sure what is appropriate and how to answer honestly without being overly revealing.

Any thoughts?

Only 2 ppl asked me "why child maltreatment" and one of them was just another applicant. The DCT asked me in my last interview, not even the POI whose research is child maltreatment. My response was: "You're actually the first person to ask me that today, I'm a bit surprised it didn't come up early. THe answer to that question is a personal one: my mother and I both had negative experiences. Our different outcomes has led me to wonder what factors influence why people in similar situations have different outcomes... blah blah blah."

Basically, I just re-routed it back into my research interests. We'd already talked about what type of child maltreatment research I wanted to do, so I just mentioned the specifics again.

any one else feel like "preparing" for interviews was pretty pointless? reading research articles and preparing questions didn't really work. everything has been a lot more natural and conversational than I anticipated!

any one else feel like "preparing" for interviews was pretty pointless? reading research articles and preparing questions didn't really work. everything has been a lot more natural and conversational than I anticipated!

You're right. They never asked me to tell them what I knew about their research. However, having read their research, I was able to incorporate what I knew about their research and what interested me about it into the conversation.

Yes and no. I think I was much more confident having mentally rehearsed answers to questions. I didn't make anything up, but I put deep though into my motivations and desires, which is something that I always know is there and doesn't change, but is sometimes hard to articulate/dig up at the drop of a hat. I guess i did some "refamiliarization" (is that even a word?) with myself.

Also, I'm having a harder time preparing for my coming interview because it's more of a stretch to put my research interests in line with this POIs, and she'd kinda brought it up when she called to invite me. I need to go home and re-read my personal statement for the program to see how I convinced her I was even a good fit for the program. FAIL FAIL FAIL! I know very little about how her line of research works because it is a kinda obscure topic and I have touched on it only briefly in one of my undergraduate courses.

As mentioned above, I also had a momentary "oh know, what if they ask about my relationship with my parents". Which is something they would have no reason to know sucks, but given my history of maltreatment, which is glossed over but mentioned truthfully in my personal statement, I had to figure out how I would face such a question.

For me, it was really nice to have gone over the answers to every conceivable question, so I wasn't flying by the seat of my pants. I felt confident in my answers, I was speaking the truth and since it had already been brought to the forefront of my mind, the answers came very easily and naturally for me, which DEFINITELY came across in my interviews. I never had to pause for how to answer a question. I feel that my interviews had a very natural flow to them and I feel pretty good about my chances of receiving an offer because of how confident and naturally I spoke.

:thumbup: +1

You're right. They never asked me to tell them what I knew about their research. However, having read their research, I was able to incorporate what I knew about their research and what interested me about it into the conversation.

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on wearing boots with jeans to a casual dinner with professors and grad students? I was told to wear jeans, but I'm worried that boots are too trendy/not professional enough. The boots I'm considering wearing are flat black leather boots, very simple. My only other shoe option is a stylish black patent leather loafer. What do y'all think?

Thanks!

If your shirt is a little on the dressier side, and you're not wearing, say, a North Face shirt and a pair of sunglasses, you're probably alright. :)

I have a while before I really need to think about this. But I'm here now and might as well ask.

Are dinners usually standard along with these interviews? Or is that just random, depends on program? I have pretty big diet restriction (limit is usually 1-3 restaurants depending on area) so I'll have to think ahead of how to suggest a place in a respectful way all that. Anyway...are dinners standard?

I have a while before I really need to think about this. But I'm here now and might as well ask.

Are dinners usually standard along with these interviews? Or is that just random, depends on program? I have pretty big diet restriction (limit is usually 1-3 restaurants depending on area) so I'll have to think ahead of how to suggest a place in a respectful way all that. Anyway...are dinners standard?

There usually is some type of get together with eating involved. You may go to a restaurant. You may just have a casual buffet at the school itself. And, usually the grad students are involved in this, and they have planned everything out in advance. You could always find out the restaurant in advance and check with the restaurant to see what they have that you could eat, etc.

There usually is some type of get together with eating involved. You may go to a restaurant. You may just have a casual buffet at the school itself. And, usually the grad students are involved in this, and they have planned everything out in advance. You could always find out the restaurant in advance and check with the restaurant to see what they have that you could eat, etc.

Okay. Thanks. There's no way I would do it without something in advance, either asking the food or letting them know I won't be able to eat anything (depending on what it is :laugh: ), so it's good to know to watch for that. Ah the joys of a restrictive diet in a food-centered world.

So I've been asked this question on every interview I've had so far, and I usually answer something to the effect of "as a licensed practitioner, incorporating both research and clinical practice into my career".

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm just wondering what kind of answers interviewers might be looking for? Sure, the programs that are more research-oriented might be looking for people who express an interest in doing a lot of research, but really, other than some variation of "combining clinical practice and research", what are they looking for? I think it's incredibly difficult to know at this stage what type of setting you want to work in, what balance of research-clinical practice you will choose, etc. Ideas?

So I've been asked this question on every interview I've had so far, and I usually answer something to the effect of "as a licensed practitioner, incorporating both research and clinical practice into my career".

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm just wondering what kind of answers interviewers might be looking for? Sure, the programs that are more research-oriented might be looking for people who express an interest in doing a lot of research, but really, other than some variation of "combining clinical practice and research", what are they looking for? I think it's incredibly difficult to know at this stage what type of setting you want to work in, what balance of research-clinical practice you will choose, etc. Ideas?

I think they just want to make sure that your interests are in ine with their focus. For instance, some schools produce almost all academics, and they never desire to do clinical work. Well, if you express a desire to do a lot of clinical work, then they know that you are not a good fit for them.

If you're applying to a balanced school, then I think your answers are entirely appropriate.

During one of my interviews i was asked if we use neuropsych tests that measure XXXX....I responded that I didn't think so but agreed with the prof that we should have tests that measure XXXX. I realized when I returned from my vacation, that we do indeed have tests that measure XXXX and that it must have slipped my mind during the interview. should I e-mail the prof and correct myself or leave it be--I'm sorry....I think I'm going as crazy and overanalyzing things as much as the next applicant.

Thanks!

During one of my interviews i was asked if we use neuropsych tests that measure XXXX....I responded that I didn't think so but agreed with the prof that we should have tests that measure XXXX. I realized when I returned from my vacation, that we do indeed have tests that measure XXXX and that it must have slipped my mind during the interview. should I e-mail the prof and correct myself or leave it be--I'm sorry....I think I'm going as crazy and overanalyzing things as much as the next applicant.

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't bother emailing at this point. That said, it sort of depends what XXXX is... I'm sure it's not something like intelligence, but in my opinion it depends on how, for lack of a better word, obvious it might be that such a test would exist.

Also, depends a lot on the rapport you developed over the course of your interview. If you honestly think you could pull off a 'Haha, isn't it funny that this slipped my mind? Of course these exist, and I'm well aware of them. My apologies for the confusion', then maybe you could email them. If you couldn't pull off this light hearted type of email, it might seem like you just looked it up when you got home...

leave it. They dont excpect you to come in knowing all this stuff. They a clinical psychology training program, they can teach you that stuff-thats why they're there.

I recently had an interview for a PhD Counseling program. I thanked my POI for his time via e-mail, and he responded by asking me to tell him if I have any competing offers in hand (or if I get any in the future).

I always thought this kind of a question was inappropriate. I am not sure how to respond. I could either:

1.) Tell him I feel uncomfortable answering and apologize.

2.) Tell him I have no competing offers and have been waitlisted at two other schools.. which makes me look bad.

Do you all have any opinions on this? What should I do?

2.) Tell him I have no competing offers and have been waitlisted at two other schools.. which makes me look bad.

I don't have an answer for you. He has put you in a difficult situation. . . . I just wanted to say that being waitlisted at two other schools does not make you look bad. You beat out how many other applicants to become a waitlistee.

I'm guessing that this particular program may bump you further up the waitlist if you have competing offers, but that is just my guess. . . . Good luck!!