Questions about Marquette University's Clinical psychology PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schroedinger's dog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to apply clinical psych PhD programs in the fall and had some questions about Marquette's program.

Does anyone know anything about Marquette's clinical psych program? How is the quality in general and for neuropsych in particular?

What is the funding situation like, is it fully funded for the duration of the program?

I have the latest edition of the Insider's guide and it says that 100% of students receive tuition waivers and stipends, but I'm not sure where they got this info. Marquette's website isn't the greatest, so it's difficult to tell, but it seems like funding is a bit more tenuous than the Insider's guide indicates and there's not much info about stipends being available. It also seems like assistanceships are more limited than other programs, but, again, the university's website seems somewhat unhelpful and clunky.

I tried doing a search on these forums, but there's not much discussion of their program here.

Members don't see this ad.

You should call their admissions/clinical office and ask. It is a very common question, so they should know better than most/all other sources.

Ah, ok, thanks for the advice.

What about the quality of the overall program itself and neuropsych in particular? Do you know anything about them, especially as you are in neuropsych as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, ok, thanks for the advice.

What about the quality of the overall program itself and neuropsych in particular? Do you know anything about them, especially as you are in neuropsych as well?

I lived in Milwaukee for 5 years and worked with some students and faculty from Marquette. It's got a good reputation, and you'll have practicum opportunities at the VA as well as the Medical College of Wisconsin, which will serve you well going forward. As far as I know, Hoelzle and Nielson are there for neuropsych and they're well respected in the field. Just depends on if your research and career interests line up for a good fit.

I honestly don't know much about their rep w. neuropsych. I am familiar with Marquette bc I took their anatomy and physiology course a number of years back, a lot of neuropsychs use it as a primer to study for the written section of ABPP boarding.

I lived in Milwaukee for 5 years and worked with some students and faculty from Marquette. It's got a good reputation, and you'll have practicum opportunities at the VA as well as the Medical College of Wisconsin, which will serve you well going forward. As far as I know, Hoelzle and Nielson are there for neuropsych and they're well respected in the field. Just depends on if your research and career interests line up for a good fit.

Interesting. Are its neuropsych training quality and reputation good enough to be competitive for neuropsych related internships and fellowships? I know the former are rarer than the latter, but I think I would still be interested in a Neuro internship as well.

Interesting. Are its neuropsych training quality and reputation good enough to be competitive for neuropsych related internships and fellowships? I know the former are rarer than the latter, but I think I would still be interested in a Neuro internship as well.

There are actually fewer formal neuropsych fellowships (particularly if we're talking APPCN member) than there are internships that offer neuropsych experiences/training (even for >50% of the time).

A strong reputation is great, as is having rec letters from well-known neuropsychologists. However, reviewers know not everyone will have this. Unless the program has an actively negative reputation, what will be much more important is completing relevant coursework, practicum experiences, and research projects.

With the training available in the area, you won't necessarily even need a "neuro" internship per se. Just one that is mostly neuro, and you can get more generalized training. Remember that the HCG are a vertical model, not a linear one. And yes, the people and places available to work with there will make you more than competitive for some of the better postdocs afterwards. The neuropsych prac sites have many of the AACN and APPCN board member as supervisors. Unfortunately, one of the really big names in the area is retiring, so only those of us who have already trained with him will get that reference any more. But, still plenty of big name people there, especially at the Medical College of Wisconsin.

Wow, that sounds great, I'm definitely looking forward to applying to Marquette. Well, if there's a good fit between one of the professors and me and they're accepting students for the next cycle, that is.

Since you guys are so knowledgeable, do you know anything about Central Michigan University? I saw that one professor does neuropsych research when I was going through that Insider's Guide, so I tried to do some research on the program and that specific professor, but I couldn't find much.

Are any of you familiar with Central Michigan's program or Dr. Reid Skeel?