Questions About Military Medicine! Much Appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorDoctor.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in the United States.
  1. I've heard that I can join the military as their doctor or something like that in my medical school years and have them pay my tuition or something? What's that about?
  2. How much exactly of my tuition does the military pay? Does it cover everything, thus leaving me with no debt?
  3. Am I limited to only certain medical schools if I go with this "program?"
  4. How does the process of me becoming a doctor differ from if I just went to medical school and did residency normally (traditional path)?
  5. Do I finish medical school then apply for the military or do I enter medical school as a part of the military program thing (sorry, I don't know what to call it)?
  6. Are military doctors all MDs? or do they earn some other medical degree that is not an MD?
  7. Is it easier to get into the residency I want? (For example, surgery)
  8. What are some pros?
  9. What are some cons?
  10. How many years do I have to serve in the military?
  11. Can I leave the military after the required years and return to the traditional civilian doctor path? (as in working in normal hospitals like any other doctor).
  12. Do I have to participate in military training, etc.?
  13. Do I live with military troops or on the military grounds while serving with them? Or do they just call me in whenever they need me?
  14. How does the pay compare with normal civilian doctors? Do they make considerably more? On the long term, is it pretty similar considering that they have loans to pay off and I don't?
Sorry for the deluge of questions, but I have so many questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you look up at the top of the forum there are at least two sticky threads that will answer nearly all your questions. Read those and then come back and ask questions if needed.

Reactions: 1 users
I live in the United States.
Me too!

I've heard that I can join the military as their doctor or something like that in my medical school years and have them pay my tuition or something? What's that about?
It's a contractual exchange of goods and services.

How much exactly of my tuition does the military pay? Does it cover everything, thus leaving me with no debt?
All of it. No.

Am I limited to only certain medical schools if I go with this "program?"
Yes. You can only go to one that accepts you.

How does the process of me becoming a doctor differ from if I just went to medical school and did residency normally (traditional path)?
Negligibly.

Do I finish medical school then apply for the military or do I enter medical school as a part of the military program thing (sorry, I don't know what to call it)?
Either one.

Are military doctors all MDs? or do they earn some other medical degree that is not an MD?
No. Some do.

Is it easier to get into the residency I want? (For example, surgery)
No

What are some pros?
A variety of cool outfits

What are some cons?
CHCS

How many years do I have to serve in the military?
Depends

Can I leave the military after the required years and return to the traditional civilian doctor path? (as in working in normal hospitals like any other doctor)
Yes

Do I have to participate in military training, etc.?
Yes

Do I live with military troops or on the military grounds while serving with them? Or do they just call me in whenever they need me?
Depends

How does the pay compare with normal civilian doctors? Do they make considerably more? On the long term, is it pretty similar considering that they have loans to pay off and I don't?
Depends

Sorry for the deluge of questions, but I have so many questions.
You can get more useful answers to most/all of these questions with a focused google search. Plus the stickies.

Reactions: 4 users