Questions about my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAmBlessed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Sdn. My goal is to become a primary care physician. This year, I am most likely not going into medical school (MD), but I realized after some thinking in a cross-country trip that I'm still adamant about becoming a physician. I am looking at some DO schools this year and am asking what my chances are in the application cycle. I'm afraid that DO schools will be thinking that I view them as a backup to MD, when I really could not care less where I end up as long as I can practice as a physician.

-3.83 GPA
-31 MCAT (9 V, 11 BS, 11 PS).
- LOR from MD (family medicine)
- Economic research with underserved regions

I don't have a DO letter unfortunately, and its been difficult because every time I coldcall, a sassy woman picks up and says no shadowing opportunities are not available :).

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro correct me if I'm wrong, but even if they don't believe that you are choosing DO as a backup to MD, you are so late in the cycle that I doubt it would even get that far. I'm thinking if you are serious about going to medical school, apply on 6/1/15 for the class of 2020. Just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sax is 100% correct. It's too late in the cycle to apply now.

Apply 6/1/15.

@Goro correct me if I'm wrong, but even if they don't believe that you are choosing DO as a backup to MD, you are so late in the cycle that I doubt it would even get that far. I'm thinking if you are serious about going to medical school, apply on 6/1/15 for the class of 2020. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
This cycle is dead and over. Wait, and apply the right way. Apply once, wisely!

I think you have a wonderful job at MD looking at your stats, and a perfect shot at DO.