Questions about my fate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrentistTheDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, I've been a lurker around these forums for too long and happy to join this community of future health care providers !!

I know these types of scenarios are posted a million times and I hate to add to it but I really would like to see what you guys think.

I just graduated this past May, I finished with a 3.27 Overall and Science GPA. I have some shadowing and research experience. I plan on taking the DAT in this upcoming October (2015). Based solely on these stats, could I get into dental school? Do I need an insanely high DAT to balance my GPA? Should I be looking into a masters program instead? Is applying in October to late for the cycle? I'm also an artist so any advice on how to show dental schools that I am skilled with my hands would be awesome

Really ANY advice is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU SDN I LOVE YOU

Members don't see this ad.

I am by no means a senior member. However, I can share some knowledge with you: your GPA, while not a huge selling point for your application, still doesn't provide an insurmountable obstacle. You have well over a 3.0, and, if the under 3.0 club is any evidence of this, many people have success with lower stats. That said, you will have a difficult time explaining your academic history if you don't do well on the DAT. I think you will have more breathing room if you get over a 19 on the DAT, but I can't really say until you have the score.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely apply to Master's programs as you wait for interviews this upcoming year. You never know what might happen. I was in a similar boat but worse; I had a GPA of 3.0 and a science GPA that was less than that. I did score a 22 on my DAT, which I mistakenly thought would save my application. First year I applied during my gap year, I landed zero interviews. I aced my Master's program the following year and retook my DAT and now I'm going to dental school in a month. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah- rock the DAT and leave no doubt for adcoms. Make 'em want you!

i would consider waiting until next year to apply. october is way too late to be taking the dat, if not already past most deadlines.

You could have a good shot with that GPA and a good DAT score if you take the test ASAP, but waiting until October it will be slim pickings. Either take the DAT right away or do a gap year, my .02

I am by no means a senior member. However, I can share some knowledge with you: your GPA, while not a huge selling point for your application, still doesn't provide an insurmountable obstacle. You have well over a 3.0, and, if the under 3.0 club is any evidence of this, many people have success with lower stats. That said, you will have a difficult time explaining your academic history if you don't do well on the DAT. I think you will have more breathing room if you get over a 19 on the DAT, but I can't really say until you have the score.

Best of luck!

You are a 7+ year member with more than 400 posts. How are you not a senior member??

OP: A 3.27 is absolutely a GPA which can get you into dental school. You will need to strengthen the other aspects of your application which are still in your control. Maximize your volunteering, shadowing, research, and DAT scores.

My GPA is only a 3.3 and I feel pretty good about my odds. Study hard for the DAT and you will be fine!

Best of luck!

Wow didn't expect that answer, I am for sure more motivated than ever to ace the DAT now.. thanks for your reply!!

Definitely apply to Master's programs as you wait for interviews this upcoming year. You never know what might happen. I was in a similar boat but worse; I had a GPA of 3.0 and a science GPA that was less than that. I did score a 22 on my DAT, which I mistakenly thought would save my application. First year I applied during my gap year, I landed zero interviews. I aced my Master's program the following year and retook my DAT and now I'm going to dental school in a month. Best of luck!

I think this is what I'm going to do. It seems the safest way to go about my situation... And congrats!

You are a 7+ year member with more than 400 posts. How are you not a senior member??

OP: A 3.27 is absolutely a GPA which can get you into dental school. You will need to strengthen the other aspects of your application which are still in your control. Maximize your volunteering, shadowing, research, and DAT scores.

My GPA is only a 3.3 and I feel pretty good about my odds. Study hard for the DAT and you will be fine!

Because of my GPA the DAT definitely weighs in more for me, I agree I need to study hard. Im so relieved to know that my GPA can get me into dental school I thought I was a lost cause. Best of luck getting in! Also any advice on strengthening/maximizing my app would greatly be appreciated

You could have a good shot with that GPA and a good DAT score if you take the test ASAP, but waiting until October it will be slim pickings. Either take the DAT right away or do a gap year, my .02

Unfortunately I took summer classes and just finished mid July. I couldn't study for both my classes and give the DAT the attention it needs, forcing me to take it around October. I figured I'd apply to both dental schools and master's programs to give it a shot, even though it would be fairly late.