Questions about new MCAT (2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaterMolecules

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that the new MCAT will have new sections as well as a different format for the already existing sections. I also know that psychology and sociology will be in the new MCAT. But will Biochemistry be in it? Does this mean that I have to take the Biochemistry course before taking the MCAT? Or can I take Biochemistry afterwards? I'm asking here because as I search online, I'm getting different answers each time and I don't want to be misinformed.

I really am annoyed by the fact that they're adding new sections (if they are adding the biochemistry portion, even moreso), because this may or may not delay me taking it. But it's the new way and I need to deal with it, I suppose. Can't really change the new rules.

Anyways please reply.

Members don't see this ad.

it says on the aamc website that the "biological and biochemical foundations of living systems section will":

"test introductory-level biology, organic chemistry, and inorganic chemistry concepts;• test biochemistry concepts at the level taught in many colleges and universities in first-semesterbiochemistry courses...etc"

so yes, it seems like it could clearly help if not be necessary for you to take biochem before you take the MCAT2015. However, people told me I needed to take biochem before I took the current mcat, which wasn't at all true. However, it would probably put you at a disadvantage (how big, who knows thus far) if you didn't have biochemistry under your belt. Hope this helps

Yes, Biochemistry will be on the new exam. (25% in Biological section; 25% in Chemical/Physical section)

See the content outline AAMC has released: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf

Taking Biochemistry course before taking the new MCAT will make your life a lot easier. But some people that I know are planning on taking the new MCAT without having taken Biochemistry. Whether this bodes well for them...they will have to see when they get their scores after having taken the new MCAT. You're probably going to have to get ahead in studying, and use Khan Academy to supplement the prep books.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR's MCAT 2015 review books have one 40-page chapter on biochem, and it doesn't go much deeper than what was covered in my intro bio + ochem courses. Assuming that the prep materials align reasonably well with the test content, I'd be surprised if it's necessary to take a full biochem course before the MCAT as long as you're prepared to do a little extra self-studying. But obviously the extra background wouldn't hurt (and there are many good reasons to take biochem aside from the MCAT).

You're going to eventually take biochemistry anyways, so you should just take it before your MCAT. There's no point in taking the new MCAT before taking this class.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely take Biochemistry I. If it helps, it's easier than ochem.

TPR's MCAT 2015 review books have one 40-page chapter on biochem, and it doesn't go much deeper than what was covered in my intro bio + ochem courses. Assuming that the prep materials align reasonably well with the test content, I'd be surprised if it's necessary to take a full biochem course before the MCAT as long as you're prepared to do a little extra self-studying. But obviously the extra background wouldn't hurt (and there are many good reasons to take biochem aside from the MCAT).
Just as an aside, my MCAT question of the day has been asking me some pretty tough pathway questions, so IDK how much real biochem will be on the exam.

Reactions: 1 user

I went to Barnes & Nobles and saw the TPR Biochem&Bio book, and IMO, I don't think it's sufficient at all. Looking at the preview 2015 test from TPR, it has a lot of biochem terms that you need to know. I haven't looked at the official test from AAMC yet, so I can't comment on that. (But I also looked through the preview guide's sample questions released by AAMC and there were topics in there that were covered in my Biochem class and not in my intro bio class - amino acid derivatives, SDS, specific questions about amino acids and lipids, etc.)

If you want to get a Biochem book, the best option for now would be Kaplan's & maybe a college textbook.

Some of the topics on AAMC in regards to Biochem go through a lot of Biochem 2 stuff, like glycolysis/gluconeogenesis/lipid metabolism/all of the pathways' regulation - which IMO, was not adequately covered in the ONE chapter in TPR. The cell molec bio stuff did look decent, though, and I thought that part was much better than Kaplan's. Also, they were really lazy with the practice passages at the end of each chapter. The new MCAT is changing in the way it's presenting the passages and questions, and TPR pretty much kept all of the practice passages in the old book + threw in 2 of the Biochemistry passages from TPRH workbook (these were really basic, too)- which weren't sufficient to cover the amount of depth needed for the new MCAT.

For Psych/Sociol, I would go with TPR. Kaplan looked a bit skimpy. TPR also came with 2 practice passages at the end of each chapter for psych/sociol, unlike Kaplan's.

Keep in mind that OChem is also changing, and TPR took out a bunch of chapters from the old MCAT's ochem book, and added in some addition reactions & experiments that you need to know. I would get their Ochem book, too.

Verbal (CARS) is the same. (Except natural sciences passages are taken out, so just skip those when you're practicing.)

Physics remains mainly the same, but they took out two chapters (momentum & solids). There were some topics that TPR left in their books that weren't on the new AAMC outline. Again, passages at the end of the chapter remained the same and do not reflect the type of passages that you will see on the new MCAT (more biologically-based, rather than pure physics/chem).

Majority of Chem topics will be the same, so the content review books for those will suffice, but "good" passages are lacking.

Last edited:
Biochem isn't always easier than OChem. At my school, it was probably twice as hard as OChem 2. At least for my friends and I.