Questions about pplying to MD/PhD internally as an MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosonista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all --

I've only found two small threads about this, so I am eager to find out more.

For numerous reasons, I think my MD/PhD chances would be helped a lot by a gap year of research. If you want to read more and comment, you can see the explanation below, but I'll keep my post focused.**

Questions:

1. What are considered acceptable reasons to apply internally as an MS1 to the MD/PhD program? That you didn't feel your application was ready, that you wanted to make sure research was for you?

2. If you apply to MD schools with the intention of applying internally in MS1, should you be open about that in your application cycle? How do you navigate that?

3. Is is right that my application will be largely judged based on what it included when I sent it in, rather than what I have done up to my (possible) interview date? As in, would research experience in my gap year during the application cycle have any real effect on my MD/PhD chances? I read in The Complete Guide to Becoming an MD/PhD that interview day is largely about convincing you to join the program more so than sizing you up. So it seems as though my submitted application is really my only chance to considerably sway ADCOMs, and that waiting until I'm MS1 with my gap year of research behind me to apply is a good idea.

4. Cons, pros of applying internally?

**My research experience thus far is pretty lackluster. I fell into a project that even the PI has grown sick enough of to abandon after I leave the lab (expensive equipment repeatedly breaking, unable to get past even the most basic steps of our study, etc). That project has lasted two years, but I have nothing to show from the data. The n is too small, the data points too sparse, and there's nothing even remotely new about the data points we managed to get (C. elegans population has an exponential growth trend? No way!) I also had a summer REU with an unreasonable PI, who expected me to code a complicated program with zero previous coding experience (I've since taken programming courses and discovered that I am actually good at it!)I know from what has gone right that I can do research and that I have a talent for it. Some things for which I have a knack have been quite clear. I've just gotten the short straw from my perspective. And I'd like to have a year to do full time research to figure out whether I like it enough to do a PhD. I'm a super senior going into my sixth year (Science was the last of many different careers I pursued). I'm not convinced that my new research project in my sixth year can amend for the lack luster quality of the other two years of research I have behind me. Without full time research in my gap year on my application, I fear MD/PhD prospects don't look great for me. A full time research position in my gap year, I hope, would bolster my application and put my first research experiences in a less important light to scrutinize.

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you can pull out great reference letters from your PIs and talk and write intelligently about the research you did, you're in a good place to apply now based on your research experience. I'm assuming you have otherwise competitive stats for the rest of your post, but it would be helpful to know. If you're sitting on a 3.9/39, just apply. If you're setting on a 3.6/34, see #3 below.

1. The general thought process for internal applicants is: would we have accepted this person had they applied MD/PhD initially? In your case, the answer may very well be yes. The gap year of extra research would help show your dedication in this regard.

2. There was an article written once about how MD-onlies are being discouraged from research careers in part because of the emphasis of MD adcoms on primary care and other non-bench research activities. This is very adcom dependent. But, at many schools, the emphasis for research is on the MD/PhD program, and applicants applying on the MD/PhD side need minimal ECs/shadowing. MD programs often accept that, and push those students off to the MD/PhD admissions committee. If your application isn't as well rounded, it could be an issue hindering your MD acceptance at the top-tier medical schools with strong MD/PhD programs. If your application is otherwise strong for MD-only, this isn't as much of an issue. Regardless, I would worry about you not getting into an MD program with a strong MD/PhD program whereas you could have gotten into a strong MD/PhD program initially.

When applying to MD programs, I recommend being very upfront that you're considering applying MD/PhD and need to find out the policies of the program on that. E.g., does the MD/PhD program accept internal transfers? If they do, how often are the applications successful? You want hard numbers. Of the applicants over the last 5 years, did 20% transfer successfully or did 80% transfer successfully?

3. You could do a gap year. It might help you get a "better" acceptance than if you didn't. I would just apply this year to the programs you want to go to (pick say 15-20). If you don't get in, keep doing research, and apply again next year with the additional research. Your losses will be to your ego and to your wallet in the worst case.

4. Pros: None that I can see. Cons: Uncertainty that you will get the MD/PhD acceptance. Financial--You will have loans for at least your first year. Some MD/PhD programs frequently or only accept transfers after year 2, so you'll end up owing two years of medical school. Thus, I would advise you to decide now what you want (MD or MD/PhD) and aim for that.

I do have an app strong for MD.

GPA: 3.9
MCAT - haven't taken it yet.