Questions about the Rosalind Franklin University College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ask RFUPharmacy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

My name is Mandy and I work in the office of admissions for the new College of Pharmacy at Rosalind Franklin University in North Chicago, IL. Since we're a new school, I wanted to post here and see if I could answer any questions you might have about our program, curriculum, the accreditation process that we're going through right now or being a student on our campus.

RFU has nearly 100 years of experience educating future healthcare professionals and I'm really excited about bringing future pharmacy students into our family.

Specifically, I'll answer questions about our program and sometimes the profession generally. What I won't do is direct comparisons or speak about any other college or program - that's the research you'll have to do on you own - but I am here to help!

Ask RFUPharmacy

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone - The College of Pharmacy is hosting an Open House on November 11, 2010 on our campus in North Chicago, IL from 4-6PM. We'd love to have you join us -- meet faculty, tour the campus (and see our big construction project!) and hear from Dr Meredith in person. Free parking on our campus -- c'mon, you know you want to! Bring a friend!

For more information, address and RSVP information, click here: http://rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/portals/18/documents/admissions/COP Open House FlierNov 2010.pdf

Hope to see you there!
Ask RFUPharmacy

Members don't see this ad :)
First question,
How big is the class size?
How many students are you planning to accept to your first class of pharmacy?
Thank you!

Since the pre-pharm students might not think to ask the following question:

The field of pharmacy is becoming saturated, with many pharmacists having a hard time finding jobs. How can you justify a need for an additional school like yours to exist and graduate new pharmacists?

The field of pharmacy is becoming saturated, with many pharmacists having a hard time finding jobs. How can you justify a need for an additional school like yours to exist and graduate new pharmacists?

Not to mention in a city (+ suburbs) that already has 3 schools.

Not to mention in a city (+ suburbs) that already has 3 schools.

Mandy is going to learn very quickly that this was a mistake...

O man. But honestly before I read others' posts my first question for Mandy was the issue of over saturation. I'm curious about that too.

Where will your students go to do APPE rotations? It appears that these spots will be drying up if there are 5 pharmacy schools in Chicago.

I don't think people should be too rude to Mandy about Rosalind Frankilin being a new pharmacy school. Afterall, Rosalind Franklin has many medical and healthcare degree programs (including MD). If any new pharmacy school should open, it should be one that is part of a school like this one. Don't get me wrong, I am against so many new schools opening but the problem is when places like Po-Dunk University opens a pharmacy school with no kind of medical teaching history whatsoever. I mean, some of these places don't even have nursing programs. If you want to pick on a pharmacy school in the chicagoland area that is opening that has no business being open, pick on Roosevelt University.

Sorry to change the subject Mandy, I just had to get that out there.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm going to word this right, but I feel like new schools benefit the school alot more than the profession. A new program expands the "economy" of the school. Makes the school look better, more programs, greater overall enrollment, more jobs. Noone looks at the big picture. Every new school is "only" 1 more school. I'm sure Mandy wont be coming back on here. I bet she had no idea what she was in for lol.

I don't think people should be too rude to Mandy about Rosalind Frankilin being a new pharmacy school. Afterall, Rosalind Franklin has many medical and healthcare degree programs (including MD). If any new pharmacy school should open, it should be one that is part of a school like this one. Don't get me wrong, I am against so many new schools opening but the problem is when places like Po-Dunk University opens a pharmacy school with no kind of medical teaching history whatsoever. I mean, some of these places don't even have nursing programs. If you want to pick on a pharmacy school in the chicagoland area that is opening that has no business being open, pick on Roosevelt University.

I agree, let's not be rude. I asked the question as professionally as possibly. I hope other people won't derail this thread by posting rude comments.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed. Point notwithstanding, I would still like to see the needs assessment that justifies the opening of a new pharmacy school in one of the nation's more saturated markets.

First question,
How big is the class size?
How many students are you planning to accept to your first class of pharmacy?
Thank you!

Hi nuduocsi,

Thanks for a good stating question. We anticipate that our first classes will only be 65 students large (or small, dependant on your perspective!). During the accreditation process, this is the size the ACPE recommends for new schools. That breaks down to a 10:1 student to faculty ratio for the RFU COP program.

As to how many acceptances we will make in order to achieve that number, I honestly can't say at this point... it's our first time making pharmacy acceptances. What we anticipate is interviewing 150-200 candidates from our applicant pool -- and we'll go from there in terms of accepting students who truly embrace the excitement of a new school (think... these students will be the first Class President of the College of Pharmacy, the first to be President of the RFU chapter of the student association of pharmacists!) and who embrace our Interprofessional model of education (more on this in a little bit!).

I hope that at least helps you a little bit. Any other questions?
Ask RFUPharmacy

Thanks for the support, Smiles425. You can change the subject any time you like!! (tho, this poster does not support the calling out by name any specific program of pharmacy to beat up on.... okay!?!?)

Hi bacillus1 (and everyone else!)

I'm actually glad that you (and the others) have asked this question. Now, I'll say this... I hope this turns into a dialog, cuz I certainly won't be able to hit every single point I want to make with the depth it needs to be addressed in this one single post... so, if you (or others) have a follow up to any part of this, please feel free to do so (and hopefully, professionally!).

So, here goes: RFUMS has nearly 100 years of educating medical students. Over the years we have added to our ranks of healthcare professional - like PA, PT, DPM, Nutrition, Med Physicists, etc. About 10 years ago we make a shift to a Interprofessional Model of Education. This boils down to this: all of the professional students at some point or another during their basic science (and some clinical) education at RFUMS will take course with healthcare professionals from another discipline... the idea is no one practices medicine (or any health discipline) in a vaccum, so why would you learn in a vaccum? It also allows for students to build professional networks of colleagues (think: other people treating your patients!) who are participating in the 360 degree healthcare team. For some disciplines, it's also about educating others about the role they play in that team of health care practitioners.

So...specifically, why Pharmacy at RFUMS?? Well, bluntly, How is a College of Pharmacy appropriate for an institution that is an acknowledged leader in interprofessional healthcare education? Healthcare teams need dosing and medication experts, and the Pharmacist fills that need. Thus, to fulfill the Universities interprofessional mission, a College of Pharmacy needed to be established. Further, this interprofessional emphasis is aligned with the direction of the pharmacy profession and to some extent a reaction to the AACPs Pharmacy 2015 vision. (Okay, I'm actually quoting Dr David Harrison, one of our COP faculty.. don't hate!)

Okay... so a few other things I'll also put out there tonight. Y'all know where RFUMS is, right? Geographically speaking, that is? Head towards Wisconsin and hang a right? :) Another reason we chose to add a Pharmacy program to IL is that we serve, well, honestly, more than the State of IL. Now, dont get me wrong, I think IL applicants are wonderful... but I'm equally excited by Wisconsin and Michigan and Indiana and California (oh heck, any of the remaining 45 states!) applicants. As a private school we have the ability to help more than just IL's underserved counties. Private meaning that all student will pay the same tuition, no seats held for IL residents... and, as part of the accreditation process we have to have a certain number of clinical sites already in place for the future and some of those happen to be in Southern Wisconsin. We're not interested in saturating any market... we want to produce modern pharmacists - or physician extenders who might also consider careers in research, law, medical writing and industry. Did you know that hospital staffing services have a hard time finding enough PharmD's to work in hospitals around the country??

Okay.. that's A LOT of info... so, from this information, how else can I help?

Ask RFUPharmacy

I don't know if I'm going to word this right, but I feel like new schools benefit the school alot more than the profession. A new program expands the "economy" of the school. Makes the school look better, more programs, greater overall enrollment, more jobs. Noone looks at the big picture. Every new school is "only" 1 more school. I'm sure Mandy wont be coming back on here. I bet she had no idea what she was in for lol.

Hi Samus2008! In some ways you are correct. I forget to mention that adding a new COP at RFUMS means that we'll be hiring PharmDs as faculty... so, we just created a whole bunch of jobs for future PharmDs!

But, in all honesty, I hope you read my post about Interprofessionalism. Adding a pharmacy program, in the most basic way I can state it, feels like finding a long lost relative. We need pharmacy students on our campus to make our curriculum even more outstanding than it already is right now.

Also, just to point out, even before collecting a dime in tuition, we've made a considerable investment in the COP: we're adding a multi-million dollar facility which will house the COP, we've hired faculty and staff and now we're adding a parking structure to accomodate the additional student on our campus. Institutions don't lightly take on the burden of adding a program, nor does it have little start up costs... we do it because we have a passion for educating the next generation of healthcare professionals.. and now pharmacy is included in that passion.

I hope that helps put your comments into context for other readers.

Ask RFUPharmacy

Hi bacillus1 (and everyone else!)

I'm actually glad that you (and the others) have asked this question. Now, I'll say this... I hope this turns into a dialog, cuz I certainly won't be able to hit every single point I want to make with the depth it needs to be addressed in this one single post... so, if you (or others) have a follow up to any part of this, please feel free to do so (and hopefully, professionally!).

So, here goes: RFUMS has nearly 100 years of educating medical students. Over the years we have added to our ranks of healthcare professional - like PA, PT, DPM, Nutrition, Med Physicists, etc. About 10 years ago we make a shift to a Interprofessional Model of Education. This boils down to this: all of the professional students at some point or another during their basic science (and some clinical) education at RFUMS will take course with healthcare professionals from another discipline... the idea is no one practices medicine (or any health discipline) in a vaccum, so why would you learn in a vaccum? It also allows for students to build professional networks of colleagues (think: other people treating your patients!) who are participating in the 360 degree healthcare team. For some disciplines, it's also about educating others about the role they play in that team of health care practitioners.

So...specifically, why Pharmacy at RFUMS?? Well, bluntly, How is a College of Pharmacy appropriate for an institution that is an acknowledged leader in interprofessional healthcare education? Healthcare teams need dosing and medication experts, and the Pharmacist fills that need. Thus, to fulfill the Universities interprofessional mission, a College of Pharmacy needed to be established. Further, this interprofessional emphasis is aligned with the direction of the pharmacy profession and to some extent a reaction to the AACPs Pharmacy 2015 vision. (Okay, I'm actually quoting Dr David Harrison, one of our COP faculty.. don't hate!)

Okay... so a few other things I'll also put out there tonight. Y'all know where RFUMS is, right? Geographically speaking, that is? Head towards Wisconsin and hang a right? :) Another reason we chose to add a Pharmacy program to IL is that we serve, well, honestly, more than the State of IL. Now, dont get me wrong, I think IL applicants are wonderful... but I'm equally excited by Wisconsin and Michigan and Indiana and California (oh heck, any of the remaining 45 states!) applicants. As a private school we have the ability to help more than just IL's underserved counties. Private meaning that all student will pay the same tuition, no seats held for IL residents... and, as part of the accreditation process we have to have a certain number of clinical sites already in place for the future and some of those happen to be in Southern Wisconsin. We're not interested in saturating any market... we want to produce modern pharmacists - or physician extenders who might also consider careers in research, law, medical writing and industry. Did you know that hospital staffing services have a hard time finding enough PharmD's to work in hospitals around the country??

Okay.. that's A LOT of info... so, from this information, how else can I help?

Ask RFUPharmacy

Thank you for replying. A few followup questions though:

You mention the Interprofessional Education model, and I agree, this is where education is, and should be, going. However, I don't agree that fitting a model is the correct reason to add a pharmacy program. There are plenty of other established schools in the area with pharmacy programs that don't have the benefit of the large health-science core, why not form a strategic partnership with some of them? St. Louis College of Pharmacy, if I'm not mistaken, has done something similar to that.

You also mention serving students from out of state (which is a unique answer, I'll admit). However, none of those states, aside from rural California, are really experiencing an acute demand. Just look at the hiring packages being offered by the major chains and some of the local folks, and you'll see decreasing salaries, shorter hours and less interns being hired as pharmacists. Hospital markets are, by all measures, no better.

Finally, you go on to mention several specialized careers, such as law, medical writing and research. These all require a unique sort of student and years of postgraduate training. I appreciate that there is a need for pharmacists in these areas, and think it's great that you plan on training folks for those roles. Specifically though, how does RFU plan on directing students into these career paths, especially when the PGY-1 residency market is as depressingly oversaturated as it is?

Please don't take any of these questions as insults - they are honest questions. Again, I think that if any new pharmacy school is to open, it should be at a well-established location such as RFU. I'm just interested in seeing the thought process behind the new school, and how these legitimate concerns are being addressed.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Did you know that hospital staffing services have a hard time finding enough PharmD's to work in hospitals around the country??

This is not 100% true. Staffing services have trouble filling positions in select markets...mostly rural areas.

You mention how opening a new school will benefit RFU, but how will it benefit the profession?

What unique qualities will this program have that will make its students better candidates for residency training?

As a future potential preceptor, why should I take RFU students for rotations over UIC and Mdiwestern students when we've already established relationships with these places?

Hi Everyone!

My name is Mandy and I work in the office of admissions for the new College of Pharmacy at Rosalind Franklin University in North Chicago, IL. Since we're a new school, I wanted to post here and see if I could answer any questions you might have about our program, curriculum, the accreditation process that we're going through right now or being a student on our campus.

RFU has nearly 100 years of experience educating future healthcare professionals and I'm really excited about bringing future pharmacy students into our family.

Specifically, I'll answer questions about our program and sometimes the profession generally. What I won't do is direct comparisons or speak about any other college or program - that's the research you'll have to do on you own - but I am here to help!

Ask RFUPharmacy

What a joke! We don't need more schools of pharmacy opening...what we really need in this saturated market is closing more schools of pharmacy. Thank you very much!

Thank you for replying. A few followup questions though:

You mention the Interprofessional Education model, and I agree, this is where education is, and should be, going. However, I don't agree that fitting a model is the correct reason to add a pharmacy program. There are plenty of other established schools in the area with pharmacy programs that don't have the benefit of the large health-science core, why not form a strategic partnership with some of them? St. Louis College of Pharmacy, if I'm not mistaken, has done something similar to that.

You also mention serving students from out of state (which is a unique answer, I'll admit). However, none of those states, aside from rural California, are really experiencing an acute demand. Just look at the hiring packages being offered by the major chains and some of the local folks, and you'll see decreasing salaries, shorter hours and less interns being hired as pharmacists. Hospital markets are, by all measures, no better.

Finally, you go on to mention several specialized careers, such as law, medical writing and research. These all require a unique sort of student and years of postgraduate training. I appreciate that there is a need for pharmacists in these areas, and think it's great that you plan on training folks for those roles. Specifically though, how does RFU plan on directing students into these career paths, especially when the PGY-1 residency market is as depressingly oversaturated as it is?

Please don't take any of these questions as insults - they are honest questions. Again, I think that if any new pharmacy school is to open, it should be at a well-established location such as RFU. I'm just interested in seeing the thought process behind the new school, and how these legitimate concerns are being addressed.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Hi Praziquantel86,

Thanks for the follow up questions. I'm sorry to say that my answer is likely going to be a bit of a history lesson - so, readers, grab a cup of coffee and take a break from your books.

Our inquiry into opening another program at RFUMS actually started back in 2004! Does that surprise you? Honestly, we didn't just wake up one morning last year and say, hey, we can make a lot of money by educating pharmacists so "let's dooooo it" (in my best Cheech Marin voice!).

We started in 2004 when we updated our strategic plan and vision for the RFU community. Staff, students, faculty and alumni, external constituents (Hospital Administrators, Residency Directors, etc) were a part of our process and all were welcome to contribute to our plan. From that we put together an exploratory committee ('05-'07) who looked at several options for growth. One of the most compelling documents the committee found was the 2000 HRSA report on the expected need for pharmacists between now and 2030. We felt, poised as an institution already educating healthcare professional, this was the area we were best positioned to help. And, part of me has to think, that if Rosalid Franklin herself were alive today, she's be proud that we chose a profession that is training 2 out of every 3 graduates who are women!!!

So, next, we established an Advisory Board - folks from our local community (and outside of our local area) who are practitioners, educators and community leaders. Would it surprise you that we consulted with Deans of other colleges of pharmacy, too? C'mon guys, it's a small community -- just under 250,000 practicing pharmacists (that, did you know, on average only work part time by choice? Which I am also sorry to say is what, statistically, is driving down the mean salaries - not oversaturation as some of you believe.).

Part of our reasoning behind Pharmacy is also that we will need many more practitioners who are willing to work in rural areas of our country -- not everyone wants to be in Chicago (I know, shocking to the Native Chicagoans here, but true). As the population increases in age and need for medication, we simply need more PharmD trained practitioners who can replace the existing workforce - one that has just as many baby-boomer practitioners as every other healthcare profession who plan on retiring between now and 2020.

And, the final thing I want to say this morning is that, while I welcome the current student questions, my intent to is to be able to answer pre-pharmacy student questions... I fear if the tone of the thread continues in this vein, we won't be able to talk about admissions and curriculum and outcomes... so, please, if you are a current pre-pharmacy student, I would love to hear your questions, too!

AskRFUPharmacy

I suppose a concern for an applicant would be an incident such as St Josephs... where the school decides to open the year after accepting students. Or even the Hawaii school incident, even though for Rosalind Franklin, it seems less likely since it's already a very established school otherwise.

RF actually reminds me a little bit of Thomas Jefferson, both great medical schools (+ other health professions), both private, both located in cities with other well established pharmacy schools etc. However, Thomas Jefferson has a great hospital system in it's network, I believe one of the biggest in Philly? Is RF associated with any major health systems in Chicago?

As for the curriculum, even established pharmacy schools always go under revision to continue making theirs better and better, so I'm not too worried about a new/changing curriculum... however what does RF have that stands apart from other schools that gives an applicant a strong reason to want to attend? Are there any unique experiential experiences? How available is it to get involved with research? (and would we be competing against med students or would there be a few spaces reserved for pharmacy students) Are any courses interdisciplinary? How prevalent do you expect student associations to be?

Also, how confident is the school that it will be fully accredited by the time that the first class graduates?

Sorry for the plethora of questions! But thanks for taking your time, esp. on SDN, to let us know more about RFU.

Hi Praziquantel86,

Thanks for the follow up questions. I'm sorry to say that my answer is likely going to be a bit of a history lesson - so, readers, grab a cup of coffee and take a break from your books.

Our inquiry into opening another program at RFUMS actually started back in 2004! Does that surprise you? Honestly, we didn't just wake up one morning last year and say, hey, we can make a lot of money by educating pharmacists so "let's dooooo it" (in my best Cheech Marin voice!).

We started in 2004 when we updated our strategic plan and vision for the RFU community. Staff, students, faculty and alumni, external constituents (Hospital Administrators, Residency Directors, etc) were a part of our process and all were welcome to contribute to our plan. From that we put together an exploratory committee ('05-'07) who looked at several options for growth. One of the most compelling documents the committee found was the 2000 HRSA report on the expected need for pharmacists between now and 2030. We felt, poised as an institution already educating healthcare professional, this was the area we were best positioned to help. And, part of me has to think, that if Rosalid Franklin herself were alive today, she's be proud that we chose a profession that is training 2 out of every 3 graduates who are women!!!

So, next, we established an Advisory Board - folks from our local community (and outside of our local area) who are practitioners, educators and community leaders. Would it surprise you that we consulted with Deans of other colleges of pharmacy, too? C'mon guys, it's a small community -- just under 250,000 practicing pharmacists (that, did you know, on average only work part time by choice? Which I am also sorry to say is what, statistically, is driving down the mean salaries - not oversaturation as some of you believe.).

Part of our reasoning behind Pharmacy is also that we will need many more practitioners who are willing to work in rural areas of our country -- not everyone wants to be in Chicago (I know, shocking to the Native Chicagoans here, but true). As the population increases in age and need for medication, we simply need more PharmD trained practitioners who can replace the existing workforce - one that has just as many baby-boomer practitioners as every other healthcare profession who plan on retiring between now and 2020.

And, the final thing I want to say this morning is that, while I welcome the current student questions, my intent to is to be able to answer pre-pharmacy student questions... I fear if the tone of the thread continues in this vein, we won't be able to talk about admissions and curriculum and outcomes... so, please, if you are a current pre-pharmacy student, I would love to hear your questions, too!

AskRFUPharmacy

This doesn't really answer the original question. The Chicago market is already saturated. Newly minted PharmD's from accredited IL schools (UIC, MWU) are already being forced to take jobs in rural areas far away from Chicago. The opening of these new schools is an enormous regression for our profession. Furthermore, it also sets a precedent for any school to open a pharmacy program (eg. Roosevelt). Sorry for my rant, but I'm pissed.

This doesn't really answer the original question. The Chicago market is already saturated. Newly minted PharmD's from accredited IL schools (UIC, MWU) are already being forced to take jobs in rural areas far away from Chicago. The opening of these new schools is an enormous regression for our profession. Furthermore, it also sets a precedent for any school to open a pharmacy program (eg. Roosevelt). Sorry for my rant, but I'm pissed.

Well...don't worry...some schools need to be closed because soon people will realize the truth and stop applying for pharm schools. This Mandy lady is here to advertise for that school (I bet she gets paid like 10 dollars/hr to post it up here...).

She's answering the question like a politician.

Hi Praziquantel86,

AskRFUPharmacy

Ah, good ol' 2000. Back when there were what, 90 schools or so?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer, and I apologize for derailing the thread somewhat.

There are still some unanswered questions in my post that I would legitimately like to know the answer to. I'll agree this thread isn't necessarily the correct forum, so if you would like to PM or start a new thread, that would be fantastic.

Thanks again.

This is not 100% true. Staffing services have trouble filling positions in select markets...mostly rural areas.

You mention how opening a new school will benefit RFU, but how will it benefit the profession?

What unique qualities will this program have that will make its students better candidates for residency training?

As a future potential preceptor, why should I take RFU students for rotations over UIC and Mdiwestern students when we've already established relationships with these places?

Hi KARM12,

Well, I guess a few things come to mind when thinking about your questions -- all of which are great quetions that pre-pharmacy students should be thinking about when selecting a professional school.

One of the aspects of opening a new program is that we are working with clinical sites is that we will be hiring PharmD faculty as preceptors -- and mostly in the Northern Illinois (think McHenry county as an example) and Southern Wisconsin areas for our students. Don't mistake me, we'll be using sites where other students are already being taught by volunteer faculty/PharmDs, but we're actively working to create clinical experiences for our students a little over a year from now.

Another way we hope to contribute is by starting our own residency sites-- we won't be able to provide the 1000 that are needed, but we can help by contributing to the solution and not being just a part of the problem.

As to why you would want to try an RFU student as opposed to a "known" commodity that UIC or Midwestern is producing, well, I say this, I believe our students will be well trained clinically with an understanding of how a 360 medial team works - from the PA to MD to the researchers.

I suppose a concern for an applicant would be an incident such as St Josephs... where the school decides to open the year after accepting students. Or even the Hawaii school incident, even though for Rosalind Franklin, it seems less likely since it's already a very established school otherwise.

RF actually reminds me a little bit of Thomas Jefferson, both great medical schools (+ other health professions), both private, both located in cities with other well established pharmacy schools etc. However, Thomas Jefferson has a great hospital system in it's network, I believe one of the biggest in Philly? Is RF associated with any major health systems in Chicago?

As for the curriculum, even established pharmacy schools always go under revision to continue making theirs better and better, so I'm not too worried about a new/changing curriculum... however what does RF have that stands apart from other schools that gives an applicant a strong reason to want to attend? Are there any unique experiential experiences? How available is it to get involved with research? (and would we be competing against med students or would there be a few spaces reserved for pharmacy students) Are any courses interdisciplinary? How prevalent do you expect student associations to be?

Also, how confident is the school that it will be fully accredited by the time that the first class graduates?

Sorry for the plethora of questions! But thanks for taking your time, esp. on SDN, to let us know more about RFU.

Hi SparkLy09,

Thanks for these questions.. in many ways, this is what I'm hear to talk about. I know the accreditation process is likely the most cumbersome part of my answer, so I'll try to keep it brief. The ACPE has some strict guidelines that schools must follow in order to "stay on course" for full accreditation - and in total, it's well over a 4 year process. We're still working towards Pre-Candidate Status (fingers are crossed for Jan/Feb time frame). As such, while we are taking applications, we are not granting acceptances until we have acheived that status. Why? To protect our students (that's really what the accreditation stages are for - student protection). Esentially, we have to be able to show the ACPE our four year plan: complete with faculty, curriculum, state/regional accreditation, deans, student services, facilities, etc. It's a wonderfully crazy process. And, it needs to be rigorous to protect the students in the program (so that you don't have repeats of the Hawaii thing - but really? They took 260 students in the first year and no one raised an eyebrow! That was bad all the way around for all involved!) Anyway, as we meet hurdles, full accreditation is the final stage as soon as we graduate our first class. And, just like a trip across country, we've provided the ACPE with our map. We're waiting for the final judgement to come from them for the first step: Pre-Candidate.

Okay, now for the fun stuff! Student Orgs at RFU.. we have like 200 student organizations at RFUMS for students to get involved in while on campus. Feel like raising money for a good cause -- we've got several that are long standing traditions on our campus: Dance for Diabetes, Lake County Arthritis Walk and the annual breast cancer fund raisers. Are you a good cook: How about a sample of your best pot of chili in the annual Chili-Cook Off. Sing, dance or play a mean air guitar? How about entering into the talent show... First and foremost, our new PharmD students will be a part of our RFU community... and we study hard and play hard... Intermural Flag Football and Disc Golf, that is!

Research faculty/labs are always in need of students interested in the bench work we've got going on... and to some extent there is going to be some competition for the "cool" labs with the MD students, but from the sounds of it, PharmD candidates are well able to handle their own!

If you wanted to see some of what we've got going on, you can go to the COP website and watch our video (or see it on YouTube) or email me directly... I can send you a link.

There you will also be able to hear more about the Interprofessional curriculum of the COP (we call Interpreofessional at RFU, not interdisciplinary, but I get what you mean). PharmD students will be taking courses in the first year with MD, PA, DPT, Path Assistant, and Podiatry studentss to name a few... taught from faculty in various colleges and disciplines at RFUMS: Micro/Immuno and Med Ethics to name a few courses that are interprofessional at RFUMS.

And, finally -- think about this: next year, we'll have elections to see who the first Class President of COP will be! Which one of you will start a RFU chapter of APhA–ASP? To me, that's a very exciting opportunity!

Hi KARM12,

Well, I guess a few things come to mind when thinking about your questions -- all of which are great quetions that pre-pharmacy students should be thinking about when selecting a professional school.

One of the aspects of opening a new program is that we are working with clinical sites is that we will be hiring PharmD faculty as preceptors -- and mostly in the Northern Illinois (think McHenry county as an example) and Southern Wisconsin areas for our students. Don't mistake me, we'll be using sites where other students are already being taught by volunteer faculty/PharmDs, but we're actively working to create clinical experiences for our students a little over a year from now.

Another way we hope to contribute is by starting our own residency sites-- we won't be able to provide the 1000 that are needed, but we can help by contributing to the solution and not being just a part of the problem.

As to why you would want to try an RFU student as opposed to a "known" commodity that UIC or Midwestern is producing, well, I say this, I believe our students will be well trained clinically with an understanding of how a 360 medial team works - from the PA to MD to the researchers.

Thanks for your reply. My concern would be not having enough practice sites for rotations. Unfortunantly the students may miss out on rotations at large academic medical centers. I do agree that RFU is respected as far as producing quality MDs, PAs, etc. I think this size RFU credibility compared to many new schools.

Hello! Thank you for giving interested Pre-Pharmacy students a convenient way to ask questions! I am currently in the process of applying to Pharmacy schools and I was wondering what the timeline was for you school admission process.

How soon after I turn in my PharmCAS application should I look for an email from RFUCP with a link to the supplemental application?

and after an application is complete how long does it take for the committee makes a decision to interview an applicant?

Thank you!

Hello! Thank you for giving interested Pre-Pharmacy students a convenient way to ask questions! I am currently in the process of applying to Pharmacy schools and I was wondering what the timeline was for you school admission process.

How soon after I turn in my PharmCAS application should I look for an email from RFUCP with a link to the supplemental application?

and after an application is complete how long does it take for the committee makes a decision to interview an applicant?

Thank you!

Hi mooselover77,
Fabulous question – one that I am sure others are wondering… and I’m happy to be able to help in this thread!
So, we’ve just recently started sending out our supplemental application to those who have been submitting since PharmCAS opened this year. We very specifically waited until after the ACPE site visit at the end of October to start this process (as this visit is the next step in our gaining Pre-Candidate Status). We’ve been batch e-mailing supplemental applications regularly for the last two weeks. For candidates submitting right now, it’s taking about a week to turn around the supplemental to you. I'm expecting that to be about the timeframe for future applicants, too.
As supplemental applications are then returned to our office by mailing them (sorry, folks, that’s snail mail to: Rosalind Franklin University, Office of Admissions – College of Pharmacy, 3333 Green Bay Rd, North Chicago, IL 60064) the Pharmacy Admissions Committee (COP A/C) will begin to review candidates for interview.
At this point, the COP A/C expects to start interviewing in December (so, yes, that means we’ll start inviting in the next few weeks! Yeah!). Our invitation to interview will contain information for candidates about traveling to the Chicagoland area, area hotels where candidates can get a RFUMS discount, taxi, MetraRail and rental car information for arriving at our campus. Just an FYI: a lot of the local hotels have shuttle service to and from the University, free breakfast and free internet! Oh, and if you are leaving campus right after the interview is concluded to head to the airport, we’ll store your bags for you while on campus. For candidates taking the MetraRail from Kenosha or Chicago, we have a University Shuttle Bus that picks up from the Lake Bluff train station. We also provide return trips after the interview to catch an afternoon train.
Since we will hold off on actually sending acceptances until the ACPE has granted Pre-Candidacy (fingers crossed!), we’re expecting to send our first letters of acceptance at the end of January. This means those folks completing interviews in December will have a slightly longer wait than our normal process. Our “normal” process means that the COP A/C is planning that acceptances will go out to candidates as early as 10 to 15 days after completing an interview.
Don't forget, the deadline to get all supplemental materials to our office is March 15… but I don’t advise waiting that long to get your stuff to us!
I hope that helps! We certainly look forward to reviewing your application. If you have any questions about your application or status, feel free to call our office (847-578-3204) or email [email protected]. We especially like email, then we can research the answer to your question before getting back to you.
Cheers and have a great weekend!
Ask RFUPharmacy

how sad to see a representative from a new COP begging students to attend the campus...Back in the old days 2000-2004, students were begging to get in. Now everyone can get the Pharm.D degree...what a lame joke!

how sad to see a representative from a new COP begging students to attend the campus...Back in the old days 2000-2004, students were begging to get in. Now everyone can get the Pharm.D degree...what a lame joke!

I don't think she's begging - she's just excited. Why don't we give her the benefit of the doubt. Would you want someone to represent your school who wasn't enthusiastic??

I don't think she's begging - she's just excited. Why don't we give her the benefit of the doubt. Would you want someone to represent your school who wasn't enthusiastic??

I agree with this. Totally agree.

I have no idea why the other guy saying "she's begging"? Oh my gosh, she is just as enthusiastic and excited as the pre-pharm students are...
Keep in mind that EVERYTHING has its beginning. I believe all new schools at any time would still do the same thing as what this school is doing...

Hi mooselover77,
Oh, and if you are leaving campus right after the interview is concluded to head to the airport, we’ll store your bags for you while on campus. For candidates taking the MetraRail from Kenosha or Chicago, we have a University Shuttle Bus that picks up from the Lake Bluff train station. We also provide return trips after the interview to catch an afternoon train.

How awesome this is!! :love:

poor those "pre-pharmacy" kids...aww...so excited to get into Pharm school eh?

Kids...this can be your future: 4 yrs pharm.D + 200K student loan = jobless + due loan debt/monthly

Pls wake up from the rosy dreams...

I agree with this. Totally agree.

I have no idea why the other guy saying "she's begging"? Oh my gosh, she is just as enthusiastic and excited as the pre-pharm students are...
Keep in mind that EVERYTHING has its beginning. I believe all new schools at any time would still do the same thing as what this school is doing...

she's begging because the people who wanna go to pharm schools have dropped significantly due to : 1. Job market oversaturation 2. Continue to get worse
If she doesn't "recruit" students, her school will be closed and she'll have no job....get it , kids?

poor those "pre-pharmacy" kids...aww...so excited to get into Pharm school eh?

Kids...this can be your future: 4 yrs pharm.D + 200K student loan
Really? 200K? Man, that's like telling them boogeyman is eight feet tall.

= jobless + due loan debt/monthly

A lot of the people complaining in the pharmacy forums about not having a job are selectively unemployed. They're too good for retail or don't want to move.

Pls wake up from the rosy dreams...

The point is: none of this discussion is really related to this school. People researching pharmacy should know to do their due diligence.

Really? 200K? Man, that's like telling them boogeyman is eight feet tall.

Pharmacy tuition is very high now and it will raise every year...Take a look at USC website, for example:

http://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/fa/cost/

After doing the math, we'll see the tuition alone for 4 yr at this school is 4x41,500 = 166000. By the time a student graduate, it will be at least 180000 (interest included). This is tuition alone. Now, if you're talking about living expenses (housing + books + entertainment+ food) adding on, it would be roughly another 20K/year so roughly 166,000 + 80,000=246,000 for 4 yrs total.

A lot of the people complaining in the pharmacy forums about not having a job are selectively unemployed. They're too good for retail or don't want to move.

Wrong. A lot of pharmacists now willing to move, but still cannot have jobs. The experienced pharmacists have a hard time finding jobs, too...what do you think about the new grads now and future? Good luck

The point is: none of this discussion is really related to this school. People researching pharmacy should know to do their due diligence.[/BTrue but not true...you have to tell the truth to the pre-pharmacy students here so that they are fully aware of what they are getting themselves into...

The point is: none of this discussion is really related to this school. People researching pharmacy should know to do their due diligence.[/BTrue but not true...you have to tell the truth to the pre-pharmacy students here so that they are fully aware of what they are getting themselves into...

I actually have to agree with this. While I think it's great to have school admins on here to answer questions I feel like this particular one is here solely to advertise the school. She also dodges questions about the job market and the lack of need for pharmacists in the area.... she couldn't really justify why RF would even create a school of pharmacy in the first place. I'm at least proud of my school for telling us multiple times that it will be tough to get a job and we need to work hard to make ourselves stand out (not that any of you think this matters :rolleyes:). As far as tuition goes, things are getting a bit ridiculous, especially the USC example you mentioned. I really wanted to go to an out of state public school but ended up staying at my state school (which is probably just as good) for $17k/yr as opposed to $37k/yr. It really annoys me that some of these schools are taking advantage of dumb/naive students who are either in denial or uninformed.

Hi everyone! Didn't want any pre-pharm students to start worrying that they wouldn't be able to afford attending at RFUSM! Here's a quick break down of what we think the financial aid package will look like for next fall:

Rosalind Franklin University’s College of Pharmacy’s tuition will be around $28,000 for the class of 2015. That also means that we’ll budget a living stipend for our students (you know, to pay rent, your texting habit and your iTunes problem..maybe some electricity!) to cover additional expenses. We'll also budget in dollars for books and supplies; we'll also require that you have medical insurance - either our (included in the budget $) or, say, your parents coverage. Our total projection of expected need for a student in the class next year is between $47K and $49K. Pre-Pharmacy students should begin now preparing to live on a budget so that it’s not a difficult transition when they get to graduate school! Also, doing things like paying off credit cards now will help with budgeting in the coming years.
I’ll be the first to agree, it’s a huge commitment to undertake: 4 years of undergraduate + 4 years of graduate, professional school education... It’s not a situation to be entered into lightly. Nor do I think students should pursue careers in pharmacy to “get rich quick.” Rosalind Franklin University is looking for students who are entering into the healthcare profession as a pharmacists so as to advance the profession – culturally, scientifically, medically, etc. No one wants to hire a PharmD who believes that they have earned a position at a “dream job” just because they put in their four years. Earning that dream job, in that dream city takes years of networking, building your professional resume by being first an active, involved student on your graduate campus and then by being an active member of your professional community.
I’d also argue that for those areas of the country that are now “saturated” (or, in other words, where there is competition to earn a coveted position) that finally – finally! – patients are now able to get access to a pharmacists! Heck, potentially at 3AM at the corner drug store. I guess it depends on which lens you look at the problem from… I’d like to think that the students at RFUMS will look at this a positive improvement in their patient’s lives and then look to see where they further advance the profession elsewhere.

Hope to see you at the Open House tonight from 4-6 PM! Want to meet me and other RFUMS faculty in person? Come by for a tour and curriculum overview. Parking is always free on our campus.

Ask RFUPharmacy

Ever wonder what the day in the life of a PharmD student might be like? For those considering a future at RFUMS, I’d like to paint a picture of what you can expect! Part 1 covers what the first year of study will look like next year:

First, you have to understand that RFUMS is on a quarter calendar… huh? Some of you are saying. I love the quarter calendar and here’s why you will, too: for those of you more familiar with the semester system (or even trimester calendar), you know what it’s like to slog through a 16 week long course… only to find that in the month of break you get in the winter you forget how to tie your shoelaces and/or study…then to return to another 16 week long term in the spring. Ugh. With RFUMS’s quarter calendar, you’re turning over a course every 11-12 weeks… this moves you through the courses without getting bored! Then, in between the quarters, you’ll get a week to two weeks of break. Now, to me, a week is just enough time to clean your apartment, call your mother, figure out who your best friend is again – BUT NOT FORGET EVERYTHING YOU JUST SPENT LEARNING IN THE MONTHS BEFORE. In a professional, graduate program this is important! You won’t be able to just memorize and regurgitate everything you’ve learned in Introduction to Pharmacy Practice, because you’ll need to be able to recall this information for the rest of your life! This is what we mean by saying students at RFUMS are Lifelong Learners.

Now that you understand the quarter calendar, let me introduce you to our modular curriculum. Imagine… enrolling in a course like Microbiology and Immunology. A course like this takes about 17 weeks for us to teach. Hmm. We could try and cram a 17 week long course into 12 weeks, but that would just be plain mean. We could stretch it out over 24 weeks, or two quarters… but that seems even more brutal for our students. So, what do we do? We teach it in 17 weeks. So, a course like, M/I starts in the middle of winter quarter. That’s right. In the middle. And, it runs for 17 weeks from the middle of the quarter until right before the end of spring quarter. That also means your week of spring break can be used (partially!) to catch up on readings for course that are still in progress. Yes, yes, you can also catch a baseball game (Cubs or Brewers?) or sleep or anything else you might want to do with a week off in Chicago. M/I is also one of the Interprofessional courses you will take at RFUMS… other students enrolled in this class are from the Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine.

In addition, as courses are each taught on their own timeframe, mid-terms and finals are given respective to that course’s timeframe. Ahhhh, this means you can prepare, study, and be ready for each class as it progresses independently of the calendar.

PharmD students will also enroll in a course called Interprofessional Teams during the first quarter at RFUMS. Imagine, 500 freshmen from all healthcare education programs at RFUMS taking a course together which encourages learning about who else is taking care of your patients! In this class, Interprofessional groups of about 15 students have small group discussions and activities facilitated by an Interprofessional faculty member. Physician Assistant students, Med students, Podiatry students, Pathologists’ Assistant students, Doctor of Physical Therapy students - alongside our PharmD students –will be able to talk about modern day issues in healthcare in America. Each Team also has the opportunity to work on a community service project… some have taken on large, national scale while others focus on our local community needs. From Boys and Girls Clubs to Special Olympics projects… we’ve done a lot of volunteer work in the past with this class.

What will you contribute as a PharmD student to our Interprofessional Teams Course?

I try to tell students that the first year of professional school should feel a lot like a full time job. Anticipate being a student at RFUMS COP from 8-5, Monday to Friday. Will you have lecture every day at 8AM? Probably not… nor should you expect to be in the Pharmacy Skills Lab each night until 5PM, but that’s a pretty good estimate of when you could have class requirements. We have a universal lunch hour each day, from noon to 1PM. Most of the on-campus clubs and groups meet during the lunch hour so that there are few conflicts with class schedules for meetings. Some even offer free lunch to members who attend meetings!

Are you excited? You should be! There is a lot going on at RFUMS and COP is looking for a group of really special students to kick our program off to the right start!

After the holiday break, I’ll post Part 2: looking at the clinical nature of the PharmD program at RFUMS. Until then, Happy Turkey Day. Safe travels to those of you headed home for the holiday!

Cheers,
Ask RFUPharmacy

Why is there a quarter schedule if the classes are still 16-17 weeks long? If classes are going to begin and end in the middle of quarters, wouldn't that make it a semester schedule anyway? i don't quite see the benefit in doing a schedule like that because it sounds like what may end up happening is floating a course for a few weeks during a quarter and other times being a course light, which would lead for inconsistent schedules.

Or am I misinterpreting what you are trying to do with your quarter schedules?

Why is there a quarter schedule if the classes are still 16-17 weeks long? If classes are going to begin and end in the middle of quarters, wouldn't that make it a semester schedule anyway? i don't quite see the benefit in doing a schedule like that because it sounds like what may end up happening is floating a course for a few weeks during a quarter and other times being a course light, which would lead for inconsistent schedules.

Or am I misinterpreting what you are trying to do with your quarter schedules?

Hi Jabberwocky,

Thanks for the follow up question - I didn't do a great job explaining this the first time.

The M/I might have been the wrong class to give an example of how truly cool the RFUMS curriculum is... as you are corrrect, it is only 17 weeks which looks like a typical semester long class. Other courses will last 8 weeks, but will be spread out over 19 weeks, others will last for multiple quarters, like Pharmacology, which lasts 24 weeks. The modular curriculum allows for courses to have flexible start dates and end dates... flexible end dates for these courses also mean that some of your finals will be offered at various points during the quarter!

Not all of the PharmD courses will be like this, some will be vary traditional with start and stop dates that correspond with the quarter dates. It's meant to give you time to absorb material, be introduced to new ideas as you're building on topics in both continuing and new courses while applying all of these concepts to the practice of modern pharmacy.

Does that help to clarify it? The curriculum at a glance is available by clicking: http://rosalindfranklin.edu/DNN/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=RCtRHXEku8w%3d&tabid=3550

I'm also working on posting what our Pharmacy Skills and Clinical experiences might look like for our second-, third-, and fourth-year students! Watch for that this week!

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Ask RFUPharmacy

Still curious about what the day in the life of a PharmD student might be like at Rosalind Franklin University? For those considering a future at RFUMS, I’d like to paint you a picture of what you can expect!

Part 1 covered what the first year of didactic study in the Interprofessional environment will look like next year. Part 2 looks at how your Pharmacy Practice Experiences builds upon the didactic portion of the curriculum and expands into the real world via multiple pharmacy settings.

The didactic, laboratory, and experiential education are coordinated with each other much in the same way that the basic sciences are interwoven with the clinical curriculum. So, during the first quarter of the first year, the pharmacy skills laboratory course teaches the communication skills that are essential for the practice of community pharmacy featured in the first year Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPE). Similarly, the General Medicine and Infectious Disease course is offered during the second year while the IPPEs are featuring hospital experiences. Imagine, sitting in a General Medicine and Infectious Diseases lecture with the physician assistant students in the morning and then heading off to practice recommending drug dosages in a hospital setting that afternoon.

RFUMS COP students will enroll in Pharmacy Skills Labs beginning in the first quarter of the program and continue through the third year. The laboratory will be in our new building and is designed to be a state-of the art facility a large traditional pharmaceutical/chemical laboratory space with 20 workstations (to accommodate as many as 40 students working in teams), a sterile compounding room with three bio-hoods, and three “counseling rooms” that can be each configured as mock dispensaries or multiple patient encounter rooms. These “counseling rooms” are designed to place our PharmD students in a setting that mimics a real-world Pharmacy practice setting.

The laboratory space will be available to students 24 hours a day using an ID card coded security system. Each pharmacy skills class will be divided into sections of 10 to 17 two-student teams depending on the topics being covered. The Pharmacy Skills Laboratory class allows students to get hands on training in a variety of different pharmacy skills by demonstration and hands-on learning, and by student-student and faculty-student simulation. For instance, during the first year, students will be taught pharmaceutics, compounding, sterile compounding, molecular identification, patient counseling, communication skills, drug information, pharmaceutical calculations, and immunization certification in the pharmacy skills laboratory courses.

As part of the IPPE training and in addition to learning these traditional pharmacy skills, students will participate in interprofessional simulations in our newly expanded Education and Evaluation Center (EEC), where the student will encounter mock (actors!) patients and dummy (even tho it’s mechanical, we don’t say that to its face!) patients. Additional training in the EEC during the first part of the summer will allow all students to encounter rare situations that are not usually seen during most IPPEs. The EEC is designed to feel real, but is totally “safe.” This means that we’re controlling the environment and real patients aren’t involved in the situation. Students get real-time feedback from student-colleagues and faculty members who are observing. Both the Pharmacy Skills Laboratories and EEC experiences are intended to build confidence during IPPEs and APPEs, where you will be matched with a Preceptor in the area for exposure to real-world Pharmacy practice.

During your first two summers at Rosalind Franklin University, you have a choice: Want to take most of your summer off? We offer the option to complete your summer IPPE in a little over a week. Want to hang around and enjoy the many attractions of Chicagoland while gradually completing your summer IPPE? You could do that, too! The summer IPPE is 2.5 quarter hours (that’s only 50 contact hours). You can schedule and complete an unpaid week of IPPE (perhaps at your summer job site??) and 10 hours of simulation to complete the 50 hour requirement. Summer is a wonderful time in the Chicagoland area to take in a baseball game, head to the water park at Great America or hang out at one of the Lake Michigan beaches (or sleep, which seems to be a passion of some of our students, too!). Campus is lively in the summer with students from many programs taking classes or playing intramural softball.

An additional feature that is unique to our curriculum is the concept of “Competency Based Grading” is anticipated for many of the classes, so the student knows exactly what they must achieve to earn their grade.

Stay tuned! Part 3 will expand on the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) and elective options at RFUMS COP.

Until then, cheers!
Ask RFUPharmacy

I am done with Pharmcas application and wondering if there is any supplemental application? Please let me know where to look for supplemental application and fees.....

Hi Everyone!

Ask RFUPharmacy