Questions about Turkey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mx300

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My father is turkish so I am considered a turkish citizen but Ive never lived in turkey and dont speak fluent turkish. I have been accepted to a American allopathic school and I was wondering if I wanted to relocate to turkey in the future would I be considered a foreign doctor? I know there are differences in working conditions between foreign and turkish doctors. My question being am I considered a foreign doctor because I was educated at a school outside turkey? Or is the classification of a foreign doctor the lack of turkish citizenship (which I have). This is assuming I learn to speak fluent turkish.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have no idea.

It seems pretty strange to want to move to somewhere where you don't speak the language and have only a peripheral attachment to...

I'm sure Turkey would have no objections to a US trained physician. At most you would have to write an exam. The whole world loves western trained physicians and definitely if you finish all your training in the US, Turkey would love an American trained physician at little or no cost to the government.

Although to practice you'd have to speak Turkish and if you don't know Turkish medical terms or the language it won't be easy to find a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it strange to want to experience what it is like to live in another country at some point in your life? Turkey is the most logical choice as I am a citizen.

No connection to the bird, not sure why but it used to be called the Ottoman Empire, it could just be how Turks call themselves and when its translated to English it sounds like the familiar word turkey.

The place you born is your country I think so.