Questions and chances. 3rd time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

So this is my story. I applied to dental school both my junior year and my senior year of undergraduate, as an international student. My oGPA was 3.1 and my sGPA was 3.0 with a an upward trend and getting at least a 3.6 my last 60 credits, however this wasn't enough to raise my GPA
My Dat score was AA17. Both years I had an interview , and was rejected of course. I think I was interviewed give. My upward trend and my excellent extracurricular activities. I also had great LORs. I also had a kid my senior year of college, which I think was frowned upon a bit from the adcoms, given that they mentioned how I wouldn't be able to handle a family and dental school. My senior year of college I was a resident Assistant (RA), had 3 part time jobs, and had a newborn, 18 credits each semester and I still managed 3.6-3.8 GPA

After my second rejection ( this second application cycle I only improved GPA and some EC, but didn't retake DAT ) , I felt I needed to do something better in order to improve my application, however deadlines for masters had already passed. In that gap year I worked at a dental office and also as a microbiologist.

I started a traditional 2 year Masters in Biology , and this first semester I earned a 3.73 GPA. Next semester it should be higher. I am hoping to get a 20 in my DAT, which I will be taking in April. This summer I will be a non- traditional 24 year old applicant , however I will be applying as a resident. ( got my green card through marriage ). I have couple questions about this

1.What is the GPA that adcoms expect to see in applicant in masters programs
2. How will Marquette ( state school) see me as an applicant.
3. What are the beast schools to apply to. Which ones should I get rid of ? So far I have

Pitt
Meharry
Howard
UDM
Marquette
Minnesota
Tufts
Temple
BU
NYU
Maryland
VCU
NOVA
Case
Iowa
ASDOH
Buffalo
Roseman

4. I am planning on getting an LOR from either 1 or 2 master professors. But will 2 LORs from undergrad work for 1 science and 1 as a person LOR? Are these kept in the online application , or do I have to bother my undergrad professors again?

5. Also will applying a 3rd time be a huge red flag ?

Sorry for the long thread, and I appreciate any constructive input and suggestions.

Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

So this is my story. I applied to dental school both my junior year and my senior year of undergraduate, as an international student. My oGPA was 3.1 and my sGPA was 3.0 with a an upward trend and getting at least a 3.6 my last 60 credits, however this wasn't enough to raise my GPA
My Dat score was AA17. Both years I had an interview , and was rejected of course. I think I was interviewed give. My upward trend and my excellent extracurricular activities. I also had great LORs. I also had a kid my senior year of college, which I think was frowned upon a bit from the adcoms, given that they mentioned how I wouldn't be able to handle a family and dental school. My senior year of college I was a resident Assistant (RA), had 3 part time jobs, and had a newborn, 18 credits each semester and I still managed 3.6-3.8 GPA

After my second rejection ( this second application cycle I only improved GPA and some EC, but didn't retake DAT ) , I felt I needed to do something better in order to improve my application, however deadlines for masters had already passed. In that gap year I worked at a dental office and also as a microbiologist.

I started a traditional 2 year Masters in Biology , and this first semester I earned a 3.73 GPA. Next semester it should be higher. I am hoping to get a 20 in my DAT, which I will be taking in April. This summer I will be a non- traditional 24 year old applicant , however I will be applying as a resident. ( got my green card through marriage ). I have couple questions about this

1.What is the GPA that adcoms expect to see in applicant in masters programs
2. How will Marquette ( state school) see me as an applicant.
3. What are the beast schools to apply to. Which ones should I get rid of ? So far I have

Pitt
Meharry
Howard
UDM
Marquette
Minnesota
Tufts
Temple
BU
NYU
Maryland
VCU
NOVA
Case
Iowa
ASDOH
Buffalo
Roseman

4. I am planning on getting an LOR from either 1 or 2 master professors. But will 2 LORs from undergrad work for 1 science and 1 as a person LOR? Are these kept in the online application , or do I have to bother my undergrad professors again?

5. Also will applying a 3rd time be a huge red flag ?

Sorry for the long thread, and I appreciate any constructive input and suggestions.

Thank you very much

As for your third question, I would rethink Case and Pitt. Their matriculating stats are quite high and both are very competitive. (Especially with Case offering only 70 or so seats...) The rest of your list looks great.

Btw, don't let the words of those interviewers discourage you. I've met plenty of dental students with kids (and some even having kids during dental school) and they did fine. Sure it will be twice as busy, but if you're willing to put in the effort, it's definitely not impossible. GL

Thank you for your input. I chose Case primarily because it was one te only school to interview me my junior year of undergrad, even with my low stats. I will double check their stars. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input. I chose Case primarily because it was one te only school to interview me my junior year of undergrad, even with my low stats. I will double check their stars. Thank you.

uGPA 3.81 and DAT 20. But don't shy away from them if you have the money. Especially if you've had an interview from them before :)

I would add lecom to your list.

Applying a third time shows persistence! Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
1) 3.7+ ?
2) Don't know
3) Save more money and apply more. From personal experience, this process is random and schools that I thought were "safety schools", they were not safety schools at all. Add both Midwesterns, Western U.
4) You will need to ask them again. If you want to store them online, use interfolio.
5) No clue, but I would think it would be redflag if there were no improvements whatsoever in 3 consecutive cycles.

Applying as resident will change your game.

I would add lecom to your list.

Applying a third time shows persistence! Good luck to you!

Thank you. Why LECOM? Would osteopathic dentistry be extremely different than allopathic ? Just like in medicine ?

Estas Columbiana? Bienvenido! :)

I am not as knowledgeable about individual schools as the posters who have responded so far, but I have two things to add.

1.) Your persistence and your hard work are remarkable and will make you a memorable candidate. You have been a better applicant every time you have applied, which means your chances of success have increased with each cycle.

2.) Because you are an international student, and I suspect a Spanish speaker, you may want to seek help in writing your personal statement if you haven't already. It is difficult enough for us native English speakers to write a persuasive and well-composed personal statement. Don't underestimate this part of your application as it is the closest thing you have to speaking directly to the adcoms as they review your application.

What worries me the most is your dat at 17AA, I think otherwise you've proven your upward trend and ability to handle stress. 19 is considered competitive with preferably no score under 18.

What worries me the most is your dat at 17AA, I think otherwise you've proven your upward trend and ability to handle stress. 19 is considered competitive with preferably no score under 18.

I will be re taking the DAT on April. Hoping to teach 20+. Have a rigorous schedule planned. ;)

Does anyone have any idea about Marquette specifically please ?

Estas Columbiana? Bienvenido! :)

2.) Because you are an international student, and I suspect a Spanish speaker, you may want to seek help in writing your personal statement if you haven't already. It is difficult enough for us native English speakers to write a persuasive and well-composed personal statement. Don't underestimate this part of your application as it is the closest thing you have to speaking directly to the adcoms as they review your application.

Colombiano, yeah. Lol. And I will do as you suggest. My last personal statement was really good and I had it reviewed by multiple people before submission. I think that my PS really helped me get those two interviews during undergrad.

Thank you. Why LECOM? Would osteopathic dentistry be extremely different than allopathic ? Just like in medicine ?

There's no such thing as osteopathic dentistry, as far as I'm aware. You should add LECOM to your list because they tend to interview and accept a lot of applicants. They are also potentially easier to get into if you have lower gpa and/or dat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I thought they were osteopathic oriented given that their med school is osteopathic, at least for my understanding. Sorry about the confusion.

Hoping you do well with the DAT. Retaking before you applied for the second time might have taken care of business back then. And of course, don't slip up with the masters.

Thank you very much. I will do well in the DAT. It just takes hard work and well, luck.

Thank you very much. I will do well in the DAT. It just takes hard work and well, luck.

I'd argue that it takes about 95% hard work and 5% luck. With enough studying, focus and determination, I believe that anyone can get a 20+. Best of luck

I had a similar experience and stats as you except I applied 4 times. Last cycle I was interviewed at Case, UDM, LECOM and NOVA and accepted at UDM and LECOM. So I would keep Case on your list. When I interviewed they saw the number of times I applied as a good thing (with a huge improvement over the previous application, I took a year off). For letters of rec use your masters professors and a dentist. With your previous low grades I would aim for as close to a 4.0 masters GPA as possible and aim for the mid 20's on the DAT (better to aim high). I earned a 4.0 in my masters and improved my DAT from a 20 to a 23AA/22TS and only got 4 interviews from 21 schools, so do all you can to get the highest stats possible.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a similar experience and stats as you except I applied 4 times. Last cycle I was interviewed at Case, UDM, LECOM and NOVA and accepted at UDM and LECOM. So I would keep Case on your list. When I interviewed they saw the number of times I applied as a good thing (with a huge improvement over the previous application, I took a year off). For letters of rec use your masters professors and a dentist. With your previous low grades I would aim for as close to a 4.0 masters GPA as possible and aim for the mid 20's on the DAT (better to aim high). I earned a 4.0 in my masters and improved my DAT from a 20 to a 23AA/22TS and only got 4 interviews from 21 schools, so do all you can to get the highest stats possible.

Wow. I am actually shocked. I thought you would've gotten more interviews with those stats. Do you think your application was lacking something ? Like EC or a good PS? Congratulations with your acceptances. Also , did you apply to any of the schools I have in my list ?

Thank you

Wow. I am actually shocked. I thought you would've gotten more interviews with those stats. Do you think your application was lacking something ? Like EC or a good PS? Congratulations with your acceptances. Also , did you apply to any of the schools I have in my list ?

Thank you

No, but I did have some stuff on my criminal background from awhile ago that probably had something to do with it.

I applied to UDM, Marquette, Tufts, Temple, BU, NYU, Maryland, NOVA, Case , Iowa (my state school, no interview!), ASDOH

What made u pick lecom over udm

Wow. That stinks. Such a late call. I heard UDM is really good. That would've been a tough choice if I was in that position.

Does anyone have any input on my question regarding Marquette please ?