Questions and saying hi.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PointLizz

MonkeyBrain
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

When I first wrote this I was running a high fever and in tons of pain from a kidney infection.
The short route to all of this is:

Do you/ did you feel sometimes incompetent or awkward as a new student/ freshman going the pre med route? How do you feel being a non-trad? If you are over 25 like me do you sometimes feel like the old one? I am 29 and feel "old"

I've been told I have a lot of potential/ am smart. But sometimes I feel kinda silly headed or dopey. But I have been told my spaced out feeling that causes me to feel dopey is due to "absence" seizures?

I am religious but not super religious. I have a few little ones but most of them will be in school/ getting ready to return to school when I start my pre-medical journy in Jun.

We are thinking of making my husband the stay at home parent or only having a part time job so I can study and pursue this dream of mine. He'd be interested in backing me all the way.

Anyway thanks for reading. Sorry if you had to read my ranting when I was sick. I am normal and not a psychopath, promise. ;)
But then again who would admit to that eh? Eh?

I just got admitted to university.

After this post I won't say much. You can ask me whatever you want also.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did ask a couple of questions. I may have forgotten a question mark.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any other premeds ever feel awkward, incompetent, silly, or unworthy at times?

I should have said any premeds since I am not premed just looking into it.

And also
Do you start off with thick skin or does it develop/can it? I was thinking the hardest aspect of being a doctor has to be the emotional side such as seeing extremely sick people, watching people die, looking at traumatic injuries, etc. My uncle is a paramedic supervisor. When he started he had to deal with a lot of trauma and I realize doctors also have to face trauma on the daily basis. This makes me wonder ...even though I love science and medicine... Is it possible to be emotionally strong enough to constantly deal with the bad stuff? This question wasn't posed before. I've only just considered it.

For example: my heart aches when I hear about child abuse. I rarely cry but one case made me almost hurl and brought me to my knees after reading it. Someone has to be the one to care for children who are brought to hospitals for those cases.

Or a kid who gets their face torn off by a family dog.

The lady who has a second trimester miscarriage.

The doctor who cared for a woman her entire pregnancy being the one to deliver the stillborn.

These things cross my mind when I consider medicine as a path. Can I handle it? I have empathy for people in those situations. My heart feels crushed and I wish I could play a role in helping.

Do all doctors start off with a tough shell or can it be developed through time and experience? Do you become jaded or do you still care just are able to absorb the blows better?

Last edited:
As someone who works in healthcare (RN), you see a lot of tough stuff. You don't constantly deal with "bad stuff" all the time and it is very fulfilling when you can actually be a part of the "good stuff", but when it feels like everything is going to crap, its okay to hurt sometimes. We're only human. You don't have to start off with completely thick skin but if you want to stay sane, it should develop as you go.

As someone who works in healthcare (RN), you see a lot of tough stuff. You don't constantly deal with "bad stuff" all the time and it is very fulfilling when you can actually be a part of the "good stuff", but when it feels like everything is going to crap, its okay to hurt sometimes. We're only human. You don't have to start off with completely thick skin but if you want to stay sane, it should develop as you go.

Thanks! I have worked in a minor aspect of health care in a nursing home. The residents were sometimes in horrible shape that would make you hurt for them and sometimes they were hilarious and just there for rehab. And you loved their stories of getting better to go see the grandchildren.

I understand heartache exists.
I just hope I can learn some coping mechanisms if this is the field I go into.

My nephew died of traumatic child abuse which turned me into a bit of a neurotic overprotective mom. Its a part of the reason I stayed home and decided to forego continuing education. I was afraid.

But now I want to pursue my dream because my kids deserve better than I had. And NO its not all about money but one bonus to getting a college degree is my odds of making a life for them and pulling us out of poverty will go up. The odds (if you will) will be in my favor.

Do any other premeds ever feel awkward, incompetent, silly, or unworthy at times?
Nevermind pre-meds, everybody feels awkward, incompetent, silly or unworthy at times.

To answer some of the unpunctuated questions... you're not too old; it's certainly possible to go MD or DO, just get a degree, shoot for all A's, prep well for the MCAT, cover all the other bases you've read about on SDN and you should be fine.
And you can get used to anything.

A question for you-
Do you have any friends that aren't crazy-pants? Maybe you've only mentioned the nutty ones, but if you've got more than one person in your social circle unironically calling you a witch in the 21st century then you might want to meet some new people.
Also, you seem to be spinning some of these ideas around in your head that aren't logical at all - a good (rational) friend could help you out with a reality check from time to time.

Nevermind pre-meds, everybody feels awkward, incompetent, silly or unworthy at times.

To answer some of the unpunctuated questions... you're not too old; it's certainly possible to go MD or DO, just get a degree, shoot for all A's, prep well for the MCAT, cover all the other bases you've read about on SDN and you should be fine.
And you can get used to anything.

A question for you-
Do you have any friends that aren't crazy-pants? Maybe you've only mentioned the nutty ones, but if you've got more than one person in your social circle unironically calling you a witch in the 21st century then you might want to meet some new people.
Also, you seem to be spinning some of these ideas around in your head that aren't logical at all - a good (rational) friend could help you out with a reality check from time to time.

Haha yes. I meant "friends" as in Facebook only and I was added by them. Years went by of just chatting and I ignored their memes until one said my sons epilepsy is a direct result of me feeding him toxins and vaccines.

Anyway my rational friends laugh at these people for calling me a witch just for thinking. I could actually share the screen captures with you of the weird accusations from anti science Christians.
I was amazed "you're accusing me of witchcraft for knowing more than you?"

I have normal friends in the real world. We bowl and go to breakfast together. They are normal. I kinda want to combat the mentality that if you are a woman and a Christian you can't also be smart. I actually get PMS from people who are Christian saying "women shouldn't get an education past 8th grade because our job is to provide a comfortable home for our children and husbands to come home to"
I rolled my eyes. I love my faith

I hate the people who associate themselves with it.

I will find these screenshots. The guy actually said "heightened intelligence proves you are a witch" I thought he was joking until it got back to my priest.

These types are why I question being religious at all in the first place. I think at some point I can believe in God without making friends with Christians. Unless they are rational.

Pms in this case means private message. I just noticed the error with that.

One of my closest friends is an atheist. And she is the easiest person to talk to. Hopefully she's not anti science but i doubt it.

If it helps a lot of my original post was written while I was bed ridden and under the weather. I just reread it and apologize for my rambling. I shouldn't have been online when I was running a high fever from a kidney infection. I'm still dealing with it but I am baseline as far as thinking ability today. Forgive me.

My temperature was normal today so yay antibiotics and ibuprofen. Try not to laugh too hard. Haha. I guess I had diarrhea of the mouth (fingers). The stories are true but the wording was a bit off.

Promise I am not an untreated mental patient. ;)

Haha yes. I meant "friends" as in Facebook only and I was added by them. Years went by of just chatting and I ignored their memes until one said my sons epilepsy is a direct result of me feeding him toxins and vaccines.

Anyway my rational friends laugh at these people for calling me a witch just for thinking. I could actually share the screen captures with you of the weird accusations from anti science Christians.
I was amazed "you're accusing me of witchcraft for knowing more than you?"

I have normal friends in the real world. We bowl and go to breakfast together. They are normal. I kinda want to combat the mentality that if you are a woman and a Christian you can't also be smart. I actually get PMS from people who are Christian saying "women shouldn't get an education past 8th grade because our job is to provide a comfortable home for our children and husbands to come home to"
I rolled my eyes. I love my faith

I hate the people who associate themselves with it.

I will find these screenshots. The guy actually said "heightened intelligence proves you are a witch" I thought he was joking until it got back to my priest.

These types are why I question being religious at all in the first place. I think at some point I can believe in God without making friends with Christians. Unless they are rational.

Pms in this case means private message. I just noticed the error with that.

One of my closest friends is an atheist. And she is the easiest person to talk to. Hopefully she's not anti science but i doubt it.
Ok good :)

I don't have a problem with religion per se, but these uber-irrational groups that have been growing over the last couple of decades and want us all to go back to the 12th century make me want to leave the planet altogether, or bash heads. Mostly I just stay as far away from those types as I can - perhaps you would benefit from some distance yourself (real or cyber). Engaging with them never seems to do much good.

If you want to go for medicine, then go for it. Start with the bachelor's. Ignore the crazies ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Ok good :)

I don't have a problem with religion per se, but these uber-irrational groups that have been growing over the last couple of decades and want us all to go back to the 12th century make me want to leave the planet altogether, or bash heads. Mostly I just stay as far away from those types as I can - perhaps you would benefit from some distance yourself (real or cyber). Engaging with them never seems to do much good.

If you want to go for medicine, then go for it. Start with the bachelor's. Ignore the crazies ;)
Sorry about the double post. I need to distance myself from teh internets for the night soon. I need to rest off this pain.

Yeah sorry my story was a cluster of weirdness. I didn't explain that argument well.

It was like this
Girl A: was posting about food fears. I met her through a Catholic social group on Facebook. I wanted Catholics go connect with
Anyway I couldn't debate her right off but I knew she was wrong.
So I read for myself and found the ebidence based science versus fear mongering. In two days I used the info and knowledge I gained to debunk every piece of her fear mongering. I wanted onlookers to see it so they wouldn't buy into her fear based stuff. My kids are on a high carb high calorie diet due to their weight so I didn't want someone in my predicament being afraid of gluten unless the kid had Celiac's.
So I knew I couldn't reason with her but maybe someone else would find my information useful.
Anyway the accusations unfolded from there. Way long story.

But the nets can be a strange place full of unmedicated people.

So yeah taking a time out is probably called for.

I should focus more on getting my average up instead of arguing with nitwits lol.

Bowling average.

ETA: sorry about spelling mistakes. I will only use the "I'm taking drugs and recovering from a kidney infection" excuse a few more times. I'm too tired to fix the errors.

Edit 2: After my introduction I won't post much just lurk. A lot of my other questions are answered in past threads. I am hoping my scores from high school (which is ancient history) will be enough to get the university to accept me for undergraduate classes.
I'm nervous that something is going to go wrong. And this has to be the last time I get sick...ever lol. I can choose success or sick not both apparently.

Last edited:
I would be divorcing someone who called me a "fatso"

I would say everyone starts (or most people) off feeling not too confident. This comes with experience and that can be a hard thing to get. It's going to be great :) Just keep swimming ;)

I would be divorcing someone who called me a "fatso"

Its not as it seems. You'd have to be a part of the whole picture to understand the nickname. He also calls me "beautiful" "queen" "hotty" "honey" etc that husbands typically say. My favorite is "Fatso" it dates back to our early years together and is totally inside joke that most people wouldn't get unless they know us personally. Also I don't think playful banter is enough of a reason for divorce. To each his own.

Nobody should ever wonder why divorce rates are so sky high with reasons like "He called me fatso."

I was actually accused by a "friend" 2 years ago of being a witch because I am able to not only read about something but absorb and learn it fairly quickly. This "friend" was heavily into pseudo science and fear mongering. At the time, I assumed she was just a terrified parent and naive because even with my limited knowledge (at the time) on hard sciences I knew that most of her arguments and fear mongering were scientifically unfounded. So I tried to engage her in discussion after just 2 days of reading scientific literature I thoroughly debunked many of her claims. So she wrote my priest, my friend and others to tell them I had heightened knowledge that I shouldn't have and thus I am still a witch. (No offense if anyone here is wiccan I am telling a general story) ANYWAY I kept denying the accusation of witchcraft and said to my priest "I just absorb and learn information within just days and that threw X off" My priest believed me and didn't look any further. Days later another friend messaged me and accused me of possession for being able to rapidly gain knowledge.
:wow:

:lol:

This is easily the best story I have heard in forever.

:wow:

:lol:

This is easily the best story I have heard in forever.
I was sick as hell with a 102.5 degree fever from a kidney infection and taking ibuprofen and bactrim lol. But it happend just not as jumbled as I wrote it.

BTW I got accepted into University. That's my update. I start the premed route Jun 18! :)

Reactions: 1 users