Questions for people familiar w/ Ann Arbor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RNAgirl

Hey chef,

Somehow the thread you just started was deleted. I was posting a reply, and all of a sudden it ended up on a thread about NYMC. :confused:

Anyway, try checking rent.net and searching for apartments in Ann Arbor. I found a lot of nice garden-style apartments with balconies, fireplaces, W/D in unit, covered parking, etc. The 1-bedrooms are about $800/month, and the 2-bedrooms are about $1000-1100/month. The only thing is I'm not sure how far away they are from the med center. It looked like some of them were only 5 or 6 miles away. I definitely need to find out about parking, too, since I would be bringing a car.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi edogg,

Several questions: Do you know anyone who lives farther away from campus? Isn't there a satellite parking lot for med students with a shuttle to the Med Center? Also, how are the road conditions there when it snows? Would it be a problem to get to the Med Center on snowy days if you live 5 or so miles away?

Thanks,
Andrea

Hi Andrea,
All my friends in medical school live nearer than that, but I'm sure that there are many people that do live a little farther away. Housing opportunities in Ann Arbor get better and cheaper the farther you move away from campus. Driving in the snow is not a problem. The road clean-up here is amazing, so you wouldnt ever probably run into problems driving to UM. You'd just need to leave a little earlier. Yeah, there is a shuttle system that will take you from the student lots to the the Med. Center, I've dont take that bus system, but it seems to run pretty often. later!!

--e :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually live a couple miles away from the campus and take the bus shuttle every day. Usually it's not a problem b/c the buses come pretty often. Although trying to find a parking spot in one of the closer parking lots before 8:30-9am is a problem and the bus rides from the lots furthest from campus can take 20-25 min. I hope this helps. :)

RNAgirl,
no, I'm not a first year. I wish I was though!! :D I went to UofM for undergrad and now I'm working in a research lab that is practically down the hall from the med school and hospital. Are you looking for an apartment near the med school?

Although I haven't made my final decision yet (waiting to hear from one more school), I'll probably be moving to Ann Arbor in the end of June to start my first lab rotation (for MSTP) on July 1st. At this point, I'm just trying to get an idea of the housing situation in Ann Arbor.

I would like to be fairly close to the Med Center, probably 10-15 minutes away at most. I'm spoiled from living with my parents for the past year, so dorms, shared bedrooms and bathrooms, etc. aren't for me.

I have found some nice-looking apartments online, but in general the 1-bedrooms run $600-800 and the 2-bedrooms run $900-1100, so it makes sense to have a roommate. Does anyone know if U Mich will give you a list of contact info. for entering students so you can try to find a roommate?

I don't think they'll give you a list of people who also need housing. If you go to offcampus.housing.umich.edu and look under shared housing, you should find a link to where other people who also need roommates post. Most of the people listed are graduate level so you should probably be able to find another med student to live with. Good luck !!