Questions for those who did RN to MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrizeal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker on SDN, for about 6 years now (long time). Ever since I graduated HS in 2007 i've been so wish washy about what I want to do with my life. I decided to become an RN which I am now, and currently working in a hospital for almost 6 months now. I definitely don't see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

I'm looking for someone who is, or who knows a person who was an RN that went MD or DO. I just want to ask a few questions. Like why did they do it? What area of nursing were they in? Do they like being a physician now? Pros and cons of RN and MD and comparison between the two. Nursing School vs Med School? The transition from RN to MD. What specialty? Why? and probably a few more questions. Or if they have anything to add. I've also been thinking about being a CRNA or the MD/DO. So I'm really torn between those too. Essentially I'm looking for the most comfortable lifestyle without a crazy amount of stress and worry; Who can leave work at work and come home without a worry.

Anyone feel free to provide input or help weigh in on my situation would be very greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker on SDN, for about 6 years now (long time). Ever since I graduated HS in 2007 i've been so wish washy about what I want to do with my life. I decided to become an RN which I am now, and currently working in a hospital for almost 6 months now. I definitely don't see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

I'm looking for someone who is, or who knows a person who was an RN that went MD or DO. I just want to ask a few questions. Like why did they do it? What area of nursing were they in? Do they like being a physician now? Pros and cons of RN and MD and comparison between the two. Nursing School vs Med School? The transition from RN to MD. What specialty? Why? and probably a few more questions. Or if they have anything to add. I've also been thinking about being a CRNA or the MD/DO. So I'm really torn between those too. Essentially I'm looking for the most comfortable lifestyle without a crazy amount of stress and worry; Who can leave work at work and come home without a worry.

Anyone feel free to provide input or help weigh in on my situation would be very greatly appreciated.

There are TONS of RN-->Drs on here... My personal thought about becoming a CRNA versus a physician is do you want to play with gas all day long, if not you could always do APRN/NP in FM, Gyn, psych, or ??? If those interest you, do the MS, but if you want to be a physician, then go to med school. I have friends in all the fields, and they all love their job and have no regrets, so you have to think about what is more important to you...