Questions From a College Sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpasticDove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have tons of questions, so bare with me. I just finished my first year of a liberal arts program at Montana Tech where I completed about half of a minor in Substance Abuse Studies before I realized it probably wasn't the focus I wanted. I will be transferring into an Applied Psychology program at Montana State University in about a week. I have been volunteering at an Equine Facilitated Mental Health program for the past summer, and they have gotten me to thinking what exactly would be the best route for what I want to do with my degree.
I would like to continue to work in Equine Facilitated Mental health with a focus on women and children. I have the equine background, and am working on the mental health. I'd like to be on the counseling/therapeutic side of things rather than focusing AS much on the research end (though obviously there would still be research involved). I'd eventually like to go into private practice to begin my own EFMH barn. I would work with the client 1 on 1 in a theraputic setting while pairing it with the horses (probably using the EAGALA model).

So how is the best way to do this? I keep hearing conflicting information on an MSW versus Psychology and I'm not sure what I should be persuing. So what words of advice would you give to a college student with goals like mine?

Any help would be amazing because I am completely lost at the moment :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would consider you look into an MSW right now since you want to focus primarily on the therapeutic/counseling side of things. Since you also mentioned private practice Clinical Social Work would be perfect. Im not sure how social work programs work but im assuming there are "clinical social work" programs.

I say this because right now (the reality) where clinical/counseling psychology is heading, being interested mainly in the therapy/counseling aspect has become difficult especially with managed care and its dealings with such professionals in private practice. To gain ground, counseling/clinicals are seeking prescription privileges, focusing more on assessment and/or are doing mainly research.

So, I would advise anyone with your types of interests and goals to go for clinical social work. You''ll be in demand, have plenty of options, will be favored for reimbursement by insurance companies and have an even greater chance of succeeding in private practice.

Best wishes whatever you choose!