Questions regarding Interviews for GPR Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a Canadian student applying for GPR programs in the U.S. and was wondering if any one can help out with a few questions:

1) What is the interview process like? ie. format, one on one session, whole day, etc.

2)What kinds of things are applicants asked?

3)Any advice on what to do to prepare for these interviews? ie. things to be aware of, etc.

Any help and insight on the interview process from anyone who has interviewed or current GPR residents would be very much appreciated. THanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

hi

i wouldn't know because i havent interviewed yet, but i was wondering if you could help me with something..

have you gotten any interview invitations?

hi

i wouldn't know because i havent interviewed yet, but i was wondering if you could help me with something..

have you gotten any interview invitations?

Aside from a handful of competitive GPRs and AEGDs, generally you'll match in one of your top 3. interviews are mostly laid back. want to make sure you'll get along with other residents. just be yourself and you'll be fine. if you haven't noticed ppl here get irritated when asked about interview questions....again just be yourself.
some GPRs and AEGDs have trouble filling their positions...so in fact it is YOU interviewing THEM. check last yrs match results, i believe there were at least a couple hundred open positions as of May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
That was an excellent reply,,,, BE YOURSELF
Each program interviews a little different. Most are their to answer your questions, to see if you and they are a good match.

Relax, have a good nigths sleep. You are bound to get into a program.

We try to let the candidate question us, we try to find out about the person, to help them explain their interests. All we interview, we would gladdly accept... but some make errors,,, like dressing bad, chewing gum, etc.

any other questions - just ask..

thanks alot Sfiles

you really lifted me up:)

Hi,

i will be myself and i don't chew gum lol

But i'm worried since i'm an international dentist, and so far only one program contacted me, for an interview in december

when should i expect the rest to give me an answer?

thank you so much dr.

There are two problems with international grads.
1. Money - most hospitals pay their residents from federal GME money - there are restrictions to graduates of an ADA approved dental school - so no money for foreign grads.

2. State law for the temporary licensure - many states also require graduates of an ADA approved dental school.

Often and dental school based AEGD may have more room to choice residents

There are two problems with international grads.
1. Money - most hospitals pay their residents from federal GME money - there are restrictions to graduates of an ADA approved dental school - so no money for foreign grads.

2. State law for the temporary licensure - many states also require graduates of an ADA approved dental school.

Often and dental school based AEGD may have more room to choice residents

didn't exactly know that we don't get paid:scared:
thanks u've been a gr8 help

We try to let the candidate question us, we try to find out about the person, to help them explain their interests. All we interview, we would gladdly accept... but some make errors,,, like dressing bad, chewing gum, etc.
QUOTE]

What's wrong with chewing gum? You no like fresh breath?

I find it helps mask the smell of stale booze, vomit, lack of routine bathing, and chronic lack of tooth brushing that seems to emanate from most of our patients...

Hi,
Could you please tell me how to check last years match results??
thanks
/Sara
:)

QUOTE]

What's wrong with chewing gum? You no like fresh breath?

I find it helps mask the smell of stale booze, vomit, lack of routine bathing, and chronic lack of tooth brushing that seems to emanate from most of our patients...

Chewing gum is definatetly NOT recommended. May I then suggest heavy powdered donut? DP

gum can be excellent in some cases, especially sugarless and for dry mouth etc.... but it does not look professional during an interview.

gum can be excellent in some cases, especially sugarless and for dry mouth etc.... but it does not look professional during an interview.

Hmm... No doubt you advise against a big spinach salad pre-interview as well... You're no fun at all...

Guys, another question about interivews. Do schools pretty much invite all applicants for interviews or are they more selective about it?

Thanks