Questions regarding medical education in Sweden

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junyumi7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently an undergraduate in a well-respected university in the US. As of now, I intend to finish my 4 years of undergraduate education here and then attend medical school, provided my grades/etc are good enough. I know that in Sweden, in order to become an MD, you first go through 6 years of undergraduate education, and then you go to AT residency, and then ST(iirc) specialization. My question is, is it possible for me in any way to finish med school here, and then do residency and specialization there and eventually practice there as well? Or would it be more prudent for me to finish residency/specialization here in the US, and then practice there? Also, would the amount of loans/debt accrued from med school be a significant enough factor for me to stay here and try to pay it off first before moving to sweden? I have full intentions of living there for a long time, perhaps permanently. I am a Japanese citizen and I have US permanent residency if that matters. I would also like some feedback on the process for non-EU doctors to get their license to practice in sweden, if anyone has any info.

Thank you so much!

Edit: Also, just curious, but would it be easier and less time consuming if I first started practicing in the UK, and then moved to Sweden?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: