Questions regarding pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vyacheslav Grinko

Board-certified FM as of 2018
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks!
I'm an HPSP MS4 who's matched at Travis. Woohoo!
I have 6 years of enlisted service in the MN ANG. Does anyone know how the pay works out? I know I'll be at O-3, but how do my guard years transfer? MyPay says I have 8 years (which is correct), but most of that time is guard, followed by my reserve time in HPSP. I know that, while on ADTs, I was paid at the max level for an O-1, but they max out after 3 years. When I hit active duty this summer, should I expect to be paid at the "Over 3" level, the "Over 8" level, or somewhere in between?

Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at the pay scale E pay as you move further away from 4 years and get higher in rank means less and less to the point it doesn't matter at all

Not O-3E?
No, I didn't get the E. My understanding is that you need 4 years worth of active duty time; guard time only counts your actual days, so you get roughly 36 days per year plus whatever your training time is. For me, that worked out to roughly 500 days or so. I guess my question is whether this principle holds true for pay or not, but the pay I've received on my recent ADTs indicates otherwise.

They WILL screw this up no matter how proactive you are. Stay on top of them and if you aren't getting the answers you need then escalate to the next level. I personally received the wrong answer for several years even though I produced multiple citations saying I was correct. It eventually took a petition to the Board of Corrections for Naval Records to get my issue resolved the way it should have been the day I came in. The lump sum payment was kinda nice though :)

Reactions: 1 user
If you look at the pay scale E pay as you move further away from 4 years and get higher in rank means less and less to the point it doesn't matter at all
From poor memory I thought E pay stopped once you made O-4, but I never realized the E pay differential grew narrower with increased years. Appreciate the clarification.

Any time in HPSP won't count towards pay. The six in the guard should. You should be an O-3E at 6.
DFAS will ultimately get it right. If you are overpaid, they will want it back.

You need to find out your total points summary from your personnel office or assuming OP is Air Force on the Virtual MPF.

You need 1461 points total to get O123E pay. 8 years traditional guard/reserve won't give you enough points, unless you've had multiple deployments or took an AGR position.