Questions regarding recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazyindy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up SDNers,

This semester has been amazing for me. I am retaining the material as its taught in lecture for every single class and my test taking skills are so good now it even amazes me how my mind just comes up with answers in seconds. Anyway my Cell Biology professor offered to write me a recommendation without me even asking for one! (note this is an upper division class at my school and one of the hardest: class avg is 45). He really likes me but do you think sending him the aamc recommendation guideline will piss him off/make him annoyed?

https://www.aamc.org/download/351978/data/letters-printfriendly.pdf

I don't want to offend him but my career is on the line. He can mean well I can't risk any mediocre letters with my gpa being 3.5. Should I send in my resume as well? what are your thoughts?

Also does anyone know how I can save LORs after I obtain them? interfolio? I intend to waive my right to see them.

Members don't see this ad.

Interfolio is how most people do it, though you could have him send it directly to AMCAS as well. You can send him the guidelines along with your resume and personal statement--I did this for most of my professors. I also sent a page of directions on where I wanted the letter to be uploaded and how to upload it--my professors appreciated that I made it as easy for them as possible. I don't think he will be insulted by receiving the guidelines--you are just sending him all the information he may need, it is his choice what to include and not to include. I doubt he will write you a bad letter regardless of whether he has the guidelines or not, considering he offered to write you one.

Interfolio is how most people do it, though you could have him send it directly to AMCAS as well. You can send him the guidelines along with your resume and personal statement--I did this for most of my professors. I also sent a page of directions on where I wanted the letter to be uploaded and how to upload it--my professors appreciated that I made it as easy for them as possible. I don't think he will be insulted by receiving the guidelines--you are just sending him all the information he may need, it is his choice what to include and not to include. I doubt he will write you a bad letter regardless of whether he has the guidelines or not, considering he offered to write you one.

Agreed. Instead of having him send it directly to AMCAS, using Interfolio will allow you to hang on to the letter of recommendation in case things don't go as planned this cycle and you need the letter again.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am applying next year so I don't have a complete personal statement ready at this time. Is that really necessary in acquiring a strong letter? I can write up a 'rough draft' of why I intend to become a physician. A really good statement will take me weeks but I want this letter ASAP since I am still 'fresh' in his mind if that makes sense?

No, some professors like to have the statement to learn more about you and your experiences/career goals. It is not necessary at all for a strong letter. I only gave my PS to the one's that asked for it.

One more question, how does it look if I give my recommenders examples of good and bad recommendations?

Quit fussing. He's a professional. You'll be fine.

This semester has been amazing for me. I am retaining the material as its taught in lecture for every single class and my test taking skills are so good now it even amazes me how my mind just comes up with answers in seconds. Anyway my Cell Biology professor offered to write me a recommendation without me even asking for one! (note this is an upper division class at my school and one of the hardest: class avg is 45). He really likes me but do you think sending him the aamc recommendation guideline will piss him off/make him annoyed?

https://www.aamc.org/download/351978/data/letters-printfriendly.pdf

I don't want to offend him but my career is on the line. He can mean well I can't risk any mediocre letters with my gpa being 3.5. Should I send in my resume as well? what are your thoughts?

Also does anyone know how I can save LORs after I obtain them? interfolio? I intend to waive my right to see them.[/QUOTE]