Questions to Ask While Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schwann

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start shadowing next monday. I really want to set a good impression. Also, it happens that I usually think of all the good questions after the fact. Does anyone have any good questions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

don't be a gunner, dude. the obvious questions present themselves, the rest can wait until you don't get told never to come back.

but there are typical questions you should hit, i feel.
why medicine? lol jk
why should i NOT go into medicine?
best part of the job? worst? biggest obstacles in the field? in your day-to-day work?

what type of realistic job satisfactions can one expect going into the medical field? into your specialty? how/were your expectations met going into the field met?

then ask w/e else you feel like as situations unfold.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I always like to ask if they were given the opportunity to go back would they still choose medicine and why or why not? Sometimes you might be surprised at their answers.

Do not try to prep questions or ask a huge number of them. The doc you are shadowing has to be able to think about his/her cases and do his/her job first. He or she will probably explain things as the cases come up and ask for questions in a spare moment.

Do not stress. Remember, it is called shadowing. The best way to make a good impression is to stay out of the way and learn as much as you can without interfering.