Questions to ask while shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soby10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my first shadowing experience with a Family Practice doctor this week. I am not sure what I should ask while shadowing. I realize I should ask questions rather than just observe silently as the goal is to get a strong letter of rec. When is it appropriate to ask questions? When the patient is present or after the patient has left? Also generally what is expected of me?

Members don't see this ad.

Your expected to dress professionally and to be courteous. Don't stress about what to ask, though if something interests you ask. If you're unsure about when to do so, ask the doctor at the start of the gig... "is it okay for me to ask you questions during the patient exam or would you rather I ask after?" Most importantly, have fun.

Good question to ask before you leave: "Can I come shadow you again?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't try to interact with the doctor in front of the patient unless the doctor or patient initiates it.

Ask questions while between patients but don't suck up to the doctor, be yourself and get to know them as a person. Remember that as a DO they had to do the exact same thing while applying and they know you need a rec so if they took you on to shadow they are willing to write it unless you mess it up.

Don't try to interact with the doctor in front of the patient unless the doctor or patient initiates it.

Ask questions while between patients but don't suck up to the doctor, be yourself and get to know them as a person. Remember that as a DO they had to do the exact same thing while applying and they know you need a rec so if they took you on to shadow they are willing to write it unless you mess it up.
+1.

Regarding dress for the experience, try to mimic in some ways the manner in which the FP dresses but definitely more professional than not. Ask questions as they come up, be yourself, and get to know them. Before leaving, try to set up at least another time or two to come in and shadow. The better they know you, the stronger their LOR. Have a great time!