Questions You asked Them

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WoodyJI

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think every optometry school interview has time for you to ask the interviewers some questions...for those of you who have asked your interviewers questions, what did you ask them and why?

Members don't see this ad.

WoodyJI said:
I think every optometry school interview has time for you to ask the interviewers some questions...for those of you who have asked your interviewers questions, what did you ask them and why?
I asked about things like job placement, volunteer opportunities, and practice management classes. The questions are a way for the interviewer(s) to see more of what you're about, so use it to your advantage. If you can tailor your questions to the specific school, that looks good as well (i.e. I saw that in your curriculum that there is ______... or I was interested in hearing more about your school's ______ ...)

WoodyJI said:
i was vp of my undergrad pre-optometry group, so under that hat, i always asked what they thought made a better optometry school applicant and what quality did they wish optometry students had by the time they graduated.

and i asked about residencies (i was really curious about them)- especially good when there was a student interviewer who had done a residency

good luck and good thinking :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a good one:

What do see to be the biggest challenge for first year optometry students? And, what advice can you give to help with this challenge?

Also if you are interviewing at multiple schools you could ask what makes their school stand out from the rest.

WoodyJI said:

My favourite:

Are there any mechanisms/surveys where students can grade their profs/the school and if so what changes have been made as a result of the feedback?

hopefully, they care about their students.

pre-O.D. said:
Here's a good one:

What do see to be the biggest challenge for first year optometry students? And, what advice can you give to help with this challenge?

Also if you are interviewing at multiple schools you could ask what makes their school stand out from the rest.
I started by telling them I knew they were going to ask this question and I still didn't have an answer :laugh: Then I thought about it a bit and asked the same thing as you about preparing.

I also confirmed with each group I met the unspoken mantra that you will not be able to handle a job while in school. I mean, they really don't expect me to study every minute I am not in class. Do they?

Is this true??!! :scared:

BTW I know a lot of people see it as detrimental when you do not have questions, but my experience doesn't hold this to be true. A lot of times, you will have asked the questions prior to your interview so there is no need to repeat them....