Quick Army HPSP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmeshy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that if you take a civilian residency as an HPSP student that during the residency you still receive the ~1200 stipend??? Was told this today after speaking with an Army Med Recruiter. I wasn't aware of this. I thought that you just do your deferred civy residency receiving what ever the benefits that program gives...nothing received from the uncle sam unless mil residency. if anyone has a link on a break down on the HPSP (army) benefits please assist. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

cmeshy said:
Is it true that if you take a civilian residency as an HPSP student that during the residency you still receive the ~1200 stipend??? Was told this today after speaking with an Army Med Recruiter. I wasn't aware of this. I thought that you just do your deferred civy residency receiving what ever the benefits that program gives...nothing received from the uncle sam unless mil residency. if anyone has a link on a break down on the HPSP (army) benefits please assist. Thanks

I think you are confused.

HPSP is only for during medical school, so you can't be both a resident and an HPSP student. If you're hoping to do HPSP then get a civilian deferment, then I suggest you search through old threads to see what other folks' experiences have been like and to understand the likelihood of actually receiving a deferment. If, for some reason, you do a "sponsored" civilian residency, then you will be paid the same as a military resident, but I highly discourage this - even if it were possible - because you end up with a very long active duty obligation.

The recruiter may have been referring to the Financial Assistance Program (FAP), which is a supplement to normal civilian income for previously unobligated residents. FAP allows you to complete your active duty obligation as an attending physician, which leaves you in control of your residency training. However, according to the local recruiter, in the Army, this program is virtually nonexistent due to lack of interest, but I think it's more active in the Air Force.

I hope this helps.

I'm not confused, or at least wasn't until I spoke with the recruiter guy. He said, and I asked him repeatedly if he wasn't mistaken, that Army HPSP recruits continue to receive the ~1200 (HPSP stipend not FAP stipend) even if they do a civ residency. He stated nothing about this was only contingent on being an FAP. He just said you continue to receive it until your AD obligation. I haven't read this anywhere and that is why I was curious. I'm sure he's mistaken. Anyone know the contrary???

Members don't see this ad :)
He is most definitely mistaken. HPSP is only for medical STUDENTS, not residents. YOu will get paid whatever your civilian residency pays. Go kick him in the smurf...

cmeshy said:
I'm not confused, or at least wasn't until I spoke with the recruiter guy. He said, and I asked him repeatedly if he wasn't mistaken, that Army HPSP recruits continue to receive the ~1200 (HPSP stipend not FAP stipend) even if they do a civ residency. He stated nothing about this was only contingent on being an FAP. He just said you continue to receive it until your AD obligation. I haven't read this anywhere and that is why I was curious. I'm sure he's mistaken. Anyone know the contrary???

Your recruiter is definitely giving you false information. Go and check out the military forum and do a search for the "Montgomery GI Bill" It seems that you can do HPSP, fulfill your ADSO as a GMO, separate/ETS, transition to a civlian residency, and get paid about 1200/month for 2 years by taking advantage of the Montgomery GI Bill.

Check out this web-site http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/faq/scholarship_faq.asp. It is the National health service corp, but the scholarship program works very much the same as the military scholarships (they are all federal service scholarships). This site offers more detailed info than any of the military site, and it clearly states that residency is not funded by the scholarship.

Hope this helps.