Quick Degree Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VictoriaXxXROse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I have a quick question.
I am now majoring in Health Sciences at my college. I am a Sophomore right now and I have heard this isn't exactly the best degree for getting into medical school. Do you recommend I change majors or keep it? Does it honestly mater THAT much which degree I have? I do not know what to do. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your major really means nothing, you just need to at least take the pre-requisites. Major in something you like and you will have a much better time in undergrad!

How many times will this be asked?

Your. Major. Does. Not. Matter.

Just do well in the prerequisites for medical school and do whatever else you enjoy.

(Can we get a sticky asking if your major matters... and then promptly a NO in 72 size font.)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I majored in Health Services Administration and have gotten into 2 schools so far. While its true that your major doesn't matter, you should do well in your pre-reqs and pick up other upper division science courses as elecetives to show that you can still handle that level of coursework and it'll help when it comes to the MCAT.

How many times will this be asked?

Your. Major. Does. Not. Matter.

Just do well in the prerequisites for medical school and do whatever else you enjoy.

(Can we get a sticky asking if your major matters... and then promptly a NO in 72 size font.)
Relax. It does get asked a whole lot, but that's what the forum is for, asking questions. No reason to bite their head off. :)

Anyways, as the others have said, your major doesn't matter at all. There was a fourth year medical student at one of my interviews who was a vocal performance major. I know two others who were admitted last year with majors in music and history. Just major in whatever interests you. All that matters is that you do well and are able to fit your pre-reqs in somewhere.

matter.gif