Quick MSAR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the old school selection page it shows how many people got accepted. On the new spread sheet it shows how many people matriculated. So..my question is where do i find the amount of people accepted in each school on the new MSAR? or do they only have matriculated data?

Members don't see this ad.

On the old school selection page it shows how many people got accepted. On the new spread sheet it shows how many people matriculated. So..my question is where do i find the amount of people accepted in each school on the new MSAR? or do they only have matriculated data?

it only shows the score ranges/medians (GPA/MCAT) of ACCEPTED STUDENTS, but # of students that were applicants/interviews/matriculants (not acceptances) if that makes sense. it doesn't tell you how many students that interviewed were accepted, only how many matriculated.

Bringing this thread back from the dead:

Is there any way to find out how many people were accepted at a school? Do some schools house this information on their websites (sorry to not research that before asking)? Obviously the more information known the better - and MSAR, as I am seeing right in front of me in the latest version, indeed only shows the number of Applications, Interviewed Students, and MATRICULATED students - not accepted. Which is what we all want to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definately think that the amount of students they accepted is more relevant to a medical school applicant than the amount that matriculated. I'm sure that some school's have this info on their website, but i doubt it's the majority...

Bringing this thread back from the dead:

Is there any way to find out how many people were accepted at a school? Do some schools house this information on their websites (sorry to not research that before asking)? Obviously the more information known the better - and MSAR, as I am seeing right in front of me in the latest version, indeed only shows the number of Applications, Interviewed Students, and MATRICULATED students - not accepted. Which is what we all want to know.
I believe US News has this data, and eduers (http://www.eduers.com/Medical/index.html) has the data from an old US News publication

I recall from building the spreadsheet that it mathematically turns out that the average medical school would want to accept something like 1.8 times as many students as they expect to matriculate; however, I do not recall much beyond that (e.g., where that value came from). In reality, schools have their own sophisticated methods based on historical data for determining how many people to invite to their institution.

I do recall that the 1.8ish figure was somewhere in the middle of the actual data we could find from US News and other sources. Basically, schools tend to accept 1-3x as many applicants as they expect to matriculate.

The only reliable source for the # of accepted students is the U.S News and World report medical school rankings/info. You have to subscribe to see this information. IIRC the yearly subscription is $14. Totally worth it when selecting schools.

The only reliable source for the # of accepted students is the U.S News and World report medical school rankings/info. You have to subscribe to see this information. IIRC the yearly subscription is $14. Totally worth it when selecting schools.

oooooooo nice i will definitely purchase that if need be.

i am currently enjoying a current version of the MSAR at my local med school library. Does anyone know if the US News Rankings were published in a print version that a library might have?

*Skeptical of eduers website. It says that well under half of those who were accepted into Hopkins matriculated... Seems unreaslistic to me.
:shrug: These things vary per year so it could just be that in that particular year, they went to the waitlist more than in years past. (Also, I mean -- have you ever been to Baltimore? :thumbdown: (Just kidding. Sorta.))

It's hard to find verifying data online, but one example I found was from the University of Michigan Medical School and their 2007 entering class (http://www.med.umich.edu/medschool/admissions/apply/profiles/profile_2007.htm) -- the applications/interviews data on that page matches the data on the eduers page (http://www.eduers.com/Medical/Michigan/University_of_Michigan_Medical_School.html)

Anyway, if you do want the definitively most up-to-date information, obviously go and get the US News subscription. But I don't think the eduers data is just a bunch of made up numbers.