Quick OB Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering what's the best thing for Obgyn comat? I got blueprints, FA Obgyn, and Obgyn by Beckmann (recommended by my school). Realistically, I work 90 hour weeks so I need two at most. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed with above. FA is helpless imo. Too generic and obvious for questions.
Also, 90 hours? You're breaking the rules. Unless you love OB/GYN
Edit- you said realistically. I apologize. There is a question bank on the ob/gyn association website that was helpful.
Just a warning: Im pretty sure a majority of questions were women presenting with vaginal bleeding.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not breaking the rules, perhaps I over exaggerated the times but it's 445/5a - 5/7p in that range plus every 5 night you do 24 call. So if you work 5a-6p you stay in the hospital from 5a on day 1 to 6a on day 2. So 25 hours or so.

I heard good things about Beckmann and Blueprints and then saw on Amazon that FA OB had good reviews. What do you guys think, is it useless and just use CF?

You will not have enough time to do more. Pick a book. and do questions. UW is decent. If your school has a free subscription to Uwise then I would recommend doing those questions. Overall, they are pretty good.

I guess I should feel lucky since we usually go 0530 to 1700 on days and around 14hrs on nights while on OB.

Gyn surgery was about the same 0600 til 1600. Really lucky with outpatient gyn. Like 0800-1300 on most days during the week.

Still can not figure out why people would chose to do this......:smack:

ObGyn by Beckman was also recommended by my school. I did some of that, a PDF I found online for shelf review, and then I went through Uworld. I did fine. Not stellar, but I passed ok.

I really really enjoyed OB actually. I love procedures and medicine, and I feel it has the perfect mix of both since you inherit pretty much all medical management of your patients. In terms of gyn, that sucked. At our school we ran consistently from 5 am to 4pm most days on OB. Gyn OR really was terrible with 4:30am - 6-7pm days. And we worked like dogs. So that was miserable. Ob nights was great. 6-7pm to 6am. Very laid back. Caught a few babies. Hung out with the nurses. Drank coffee all night. Saw a triage or two. Napped in the student lounge. I actually really liked it. There was 2 or 3 nights out of my scheduled 10 that got pretty bad.

Anyway..........not what this topic is about. Sorry. :p

ObGyn by Beckman was also recommended by my school. I did some of that, a PDF I found online for shelf review, and then I went through Uworld. I did fine. Not stellar, but I passed ok.

I really really enjoyed OB actually. I love procedures and medicine, and I feel it has the perfect mix of both since you inherit pretty much all medical management of your patients. In terms of gyn, that sucked. At our school we ran consistently from 5 am to 4pm most days on OB. Gyn OR really was terrible with 4:30am - 6-7pm days. And we worked like dogs. So that was miserable. Ob nights was great. 6-7pm to 6am. Very laid back. Caught a few babies. Hung out with the nurses. Drank coffee all night. Saw a triage or two. Napped in the student lounge. I actually really liked it. There was 2 or 3 nights out of my scheduled 10 that got pretty bad.

Anyway..........not what this topic is about. Sorry. :p

Similar experience, just we don't break up our shifts like that, always more or less same. but what book would you recommend? Beckman? Blueprint? Cases?

I would do case files or beckman. In my opinion. :)