Quick question about CCS, help appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capta1incrunch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering re: CCS, do you need to put in all "routine" screening if it is unrelated to the case in the end screen? For instance, if there is an office case, like routine diabetes, in a 50yoM, would you be expected to put in Tdap and a colonoscopy , etc, scheduled out in the end screen? I ask because I have heard multiple times not to expose the patient to invasive, unnecessary tests unrelated to the case, and I worry that the computer will not know that I am using the colonoscopy as a routine screening exam and not as a treatment modality for the main problem.

Members don't see this ad.

The computer knows all. You can schedule USPTF modalities in the future or add them to routine visits.

Hi guys, I was wondering re: CCS, do you need to put in all "routine" screening if it is unrelated to the case in the end screen? For instance, if there is an office case, like routine diabetes, in a 50yoM, would you be expected to put in Tdap and a colonoscopy , etc, scheduled out in the end screen? I ask because I have heard multiple times not to expose the patient to invasive, unnecessary tests unrelated to the case, and I worry that the computer will not know that I am using the colonoscopy as a routine screening exam and not as a treatment modality for the main problem.

The most important heathcare screening procedures such as Colonoscopy and Mammogram should be ordered on the end screen if they have not been done already. But for most office cases, you will have to put in so much on the 2 min screen that you will not have time to do routine screening and counseling orders. I follow ********** protocols and agree with a logical explanation given in ********** which is to proceed with case-specific screening, case-specific follow-up tests and case-specific counseling before you place general/ routine screening or test orders on 2-min screen. By doing this, you can ensure that you do not run out of your 2-mins before placing the orders that matter the most. For example, if you have a patient with Trichomonas Vaginitis, you must type "Counsel-sexual partner needs treatment" - such case specific counseling orders are scored and should not be missed. Ordering a mammogram in that case or counseling on safe driving does not get a score in that case. So it is important not to miss what matters the most in that 2 mins end screen. For many office cases, you also need to place "Follow-up" test using the "later" option (calendar) - this is how we let the software know that we are setting up a follow-up test for the intervention we did in that case.
An example : Ordering HGBA1C at 3month mark in your diabetes patient as a follow-up is only possible on the 2-min screen but not on the initial active screen ( on active screen, you do not have later/ calendar option). So by the time you order these important follow-up tests on 2-min screen, most of us will run out of time for most cases. These "later or follow-up" orders are highly scored - make sure you order and submit them first before proceeding to any routine screening/ counsel orders which are not case-specific.
Hope this answers your question.