Quick question on Lipid bilayer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
the portion that is facing the cellular interior....is it hydrophilic or h.phobic? I said phobic but apparently i am wrong and that is confusing me... I thought the exterior and interior is phobic with the philic parts of the lipids sandwiched inbetween.

Members don't see this ad.

It is the reverse of what you said.

The "heads" are facing the cytosol and extracellular fluid - they are polar phosphate groups (phillic).

The "tails" are "sandwiched" in between the "heads" - they are non polar lipid chains (phobic).

Reactions: 1 user
It is the reverse of what you said.

The "heads" are facing the cytosol and extracellular fluid - they are polar phosphate groups (phillic).

The "tails" are "sandwiched" in between the "heads" - they are non polar lipid chains (phobic).
omy jesus, wth is wrong with me.

That said, I thought the lipid bilayer is hydrophobic on the exterior which allow steroids to diffuse through. Wouldn't they be unable if the hydrophilic parts are on the exterior?

Lipids pass through because they are non-polar and are not repelled by the phosphate groups.