Quick weigh-in from the experts requested!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

it'sabeautifullife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out about Phi Beta Kappa election. The school I really want to attend is meeting tonight to wrap up decisions on OOS people like me. Should I shoot them an update for PBK, or is it irrelevant? [Background info: Concerned about tipping the scale from assertive to obnoxious...I may have badgered these guys too much already with updates every other week, but they were all update-worthy stuff (single author publication in academic journal, etc.)] Quick weigh-in--don't bother them with it, or toss one last Hail Mary?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not worth the update...PBK is just recognition for what you have done. What you have done is more important than recognition for it (kind of redundant). What you have done is hopefully on your application already since PBK requirements can't be met overnight.

PBK isn't worth the fee you have to pay to be admitted. Is there still a fee? There was a fee when I was accepted into it. It was like $75.

PBK isn't worth the fee you have to pay to be admitted. Is there still a fee? There was a fee when I was accepted into it. It was like $75.

Phi Beta Kappa not worth the fee? I'd argue it's probably the only one that is -- PBK is not a 'Who's Who'

Reactions: 2 users
Many thanks, all!

Weighing all the input, I decided not to bother them with it.

Will likely still fork over the bucks for it. It's a hundred dollars now, @Doug Underhill. You got a deal!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you really think that the Admissions dean is going to scream out to his secretary "We HAVE to admit this person! S/he just got into PBK!!!".....????

Just found out about Phi Beta Kappa election. The school I really want to attend is meeting tonight to wrap up decisions on OOS people like me. Should I shoot them an update for PBK, or is it irrelevant? [Background info: Concerned about tipping the scale from assertive to obnoxious...I may have badgered these guys too much already with updates every other week, but they were all update-worthy stuff (single author publication in academic journal, etc.)] Quick weigh-in--don't bother them with it, or toss one last Hail Mary?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you really think that the Admissions dean is going to scream out to his secretary "We HAVE to admit this person! S/he just got into PBK!!!".....????
:laugh:...honestly had no idea if it was a something or a nothing. Not easy to discern when some credible people thought it was a huge deal; others, equally credible, thought it wasn't worth the registration fee...abundantly clear now, in this context, it's a small thing. Darned if it doesn't make your friends, family, and professors happy though!

Once again, thanks to all who weighed in! It's a wrap...

Last edited: