Quinnipiac (MD) vs WesternU (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• Quinnipiac (MD)

Votes: 46 78.0%
  • WesternU (DO)

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters

keevwu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have acceptances at both schools. WesternU is close to my home, so I will be commuting to save money. Quinnipiac is giving me $15k a year scholarship, so with that the price of both schools is nearly identical.

WesternU

PROS:
-I get to stay in CA near friends/family/S.O.
-Tons of CA matches every year. I intend on staying in CA for residency and beyond
-WesternU also has rotations at hospitals that I would love to do a residency in
-I have friends attending the school
-Very established and well-respected in CA
-save time+money from cooking/cleaning since I will be living with my mom

CONS:
-DO bias, as I have been told, is still very much real.
-I have no interest in learning many aspects OMT (i.e. cranial), and WesternU has 2x more OMT than other DO schools
-Closes doors on some residency opportunities
-I heard lots of the material taught is not board-relevant (Interprofessional Education)
-Campus looks like crap, neighborhood unsafe

Quinnipiac

PROS:
-I get an MD
-brand new facilities
-school seems to be a lot more organized
-staff is amazing
-tons of resources for board prep
-early clinical exposure through a mentorship program with a physician from day 1
-they place a huge emphasis on student success, since their accreditation depends on it

CONS:
-I did not like Hamden when I was there for my interview
-new school, unsure how rotations/match is going to be
-far away from family/friend/S.O. no support system
-still in preliminary accreditation until they graduate and match their first class. No previous matches to understand how well students from here match
-I currently take care of my grandmother with Alzheimer's, and leaving would add a good amount of stress on my family

What are you guys' thoughts???? THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

If your family situation wasn't an issue, then Quinnipaic without hesitation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd usually say MD but given your personal situation and the fact that you can stay at home and rotate at hospitals you like I'd say Pomona. I had heard good things about Pomona, kind of surprised to hear you say it's rundown and the area is unsafe. I guess it's relative.

I'd usually say MD but given your personal situation and the fact that you can stay at home and rotate at hospitals you like I'd say Pomona. I had heard good things about Pomona, kind of surprised to hear you say it's rundown and the area is unsafe. I guess it's relative.
On interview day one of the students say car thefts happen very often

+1
I can relate to the family situation. I don't think you will be relaxed and happy unless you are near them.
I live in SoCal and yes, Pomona is known to be kinda ghetto. A lot of my friends went to school in the area. Just use your common sense and always utilize the buddy system, especially if you're out late, hide things before you lock your car (if you drive a Honda Civic, use a steering wheel lock lol trust me i've heard crazy stories and they almost always involve a Honda civic!)

I personally think you should go to Quinnipiac, but there are things you need to answer for yourself.

obviously your family situation is complicated, but IMO going to med school probably won't allow you all that much time for those responsibilities anyway, and it could actually become a hindrance on your education. sometimes it's tough and feels selfish (plus I don't know all the details), but we have to keep our own best interests in mind at least sometimes. could this possibly take up a lot of your time and attention and cause school to be left on the back burner at times?

do your best to choose for yourself where you think your career will end up the best, and if in the end you decide that your own desires come second to your family's current needs, then your decision has been made. I wish you the best

Reactions: 4 users
Damn I hope he picked Quinnipiac. The pros/cons list is so lop sided it's not even funny.